Is there a better food known to man than chicken wings? Well, maybe only these smoked chicken wings. Chicken wings are the perfect finger food for watching the game with, having some quality family time around the table with or to just enjoy by themselves.
Nothing quite beats sitting down to a meal at the table with a big bowl of wings. They are messy, they are tasty and most important, they are easy.
My favourite part of eating chicken wings with a table full of people is the that you get to see everyone with their guard down. At my house, it’s a judgement free zone and everyone takes full advantage of this. No cutlery, sleeves rolled up, saucy hands & saucey faces. It’s fantastic.
Just a pack of wet wipes, a bib & a beer is all you need!
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings
This recipe is of my favourite smoked wing recipes. They are juicy, tender, smokey, sweet, and a little spicy full of flavour. I like this recipe because the wings have a great underlying spice to them. The pecan also gives a delicious flavour. Make sure you have a decent stockpile of wet wipes, this one gets deliciously messy.
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
Hot Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup Sriracha hot sauce (or your hot sauce of choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 small onion minced (around ½ a cup)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
The Hot Sauce
- Add the vegetable oil, onion and garlic into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Constantly Stir until golden brown. Be careful not to burn.
- Add the Sriracha, ketchup, fish sauce, vinegar and cumin and stir well.
- Turn down to a low heat and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes.
The Smoked Chicken Wings
- Rinse chicken wings and pat dry with paper towel thoroughly.
- In a bowl mix together all the dry rub ingredients.
- Place two or three wings at a time in a large bowl, sprinkle on the dry rub and toss & coat with the dry rub liberally.
- Place well-coated wings on a foil-lined baking sheet on top of a wire rack. Make sure to have a nice spacing between each wing. Once all wings are well-coated cover and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours. (This is not essential but helps make the wings burst with flavour and deliciously crispy.
- Once your chicken is ready for smoking. Prepare your smoker as per your manufacturer’s instructions. I like to use pecan or this recipe, it’s a nice mild wood that doesn’t overpower the star of this dish which is the dry rub. Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Once the smoker has come to temperature, give your rested wings one last generous coating of the dry rub and pop in the smoker.
- Smoke for 30 minutes, then increase the temperature to 350°F, smoking for an additional 45 minutes.
- At this stage get out your meat thermometer and check the internal temperature of the wings. Without touching the bone you want the centre temperature to be at 165°F. If they are not yet to temperature placed back in and check again after 5 – 10 minutes.
- Once at temperature take wings out of the smoker and transfer to a large bowl and toss through a generous amount of the hot sauce. You want these wings to be dripping with this deliciously spicy sauce.
So there you have it, my super easy, delicious and spicy smoked chicken wings. These I guarantee you will turn you into the smoked chicken master at your next backyard cooking session.
I really love the combination of the hot sauce and these wings. The wings are super tender & juicy with a beautiful flavour thanks to the smoked paprika in the rub and the cumin in the sauce. You can’t ask for much better than that.
For those of you who don’t like spice, you can always replace the Sriracha with your favourite mild sauce or add in more ketchup.
Do you have a variation of this recipe or another smoked chicken wing recipe? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!