This recipe is all about having fun. These ingredients work as a fantastic base to build on. Please feel free to take away/add-in or adjust the amounts of these ingredients.
This basic rub recipe has been made to help enhance a spicy & robust flavour when cooking chicken in the smoker, low & slow.
Its a basic recipe using very common household ingredients, that should be found in everyone's kitchen.
Don't stress if you don't have all of these ingredients, try using a similar spice or adjust the levels of the rest of the ingredients.
Charlies Tasty Tip!
You might think that chicken rub can solely be used for chicken. Until two years ago I thought the same thing! I was smoking some pork when I realized I was out of my usual rub. So threw on my chicken rub.
I was a little nervous, but the wife and kids absolutely loved it! So if you are smoking a boneless pork loin throw on some of this bad boy. You will be thanking me later! Just throw it on the Genesis ii lx for the best results!!
Make sure you have a meat slicing knife handy to check when your chicken's good to go!
Smoked Chicken Rub
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ - ½ cup of olive oil optional
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- Gather all of your ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Give a good stir to combine all the ingredients.
- If you want to turn your dry rub into a paste so it sticks to the chicken (great for sings), add in olive oil and mix well until a paste consistency is formed.
- Rub all over your chicken to coat well.
- Set up your smoker as per your manufacturer's guidelines and smoke chicken until cooked.
Charlies Tasty Tip!
We all know that chicken is delicious to eat, but we want to make sure it is also safe, so make sure that anytime you use chicken you are checking the temps. I would recommend the iGrill its one of thebest meat thermometer for smoking.
If you enjoyed this recipe make sure you check me out on Youtube for more yummy ones!
This smoked chicken rub is great. Its something that I have used for years and something that I love getting the kids to throw in their own flare with. Its amazing what you can add in and take away to create very, very different flavors.
Let me know if you have any similar rubs you love for smoked chicken, or if you have had a lay around with this recipe!