Looking for a delicious rub for your chicken?
Here is a fantastic base to build your chicken rub on. Please feel free to take away/add in or adjust the amounts of these ingredients.
This basic rub recipe will enhance the flavors of a chicken cooked low & slow.
Its a basic recipe using common kitchen ingredients.
Don’t stress if you don’t have all of these ingredients, try using a similar spice.
Note: Make sure you always cook chicken to the correct temperature!
Charlie’s Hot Tip
You might think that chicken rub can solely be used for chicken. Until two years ago I thought the same thing! I was a little nervous, but the wife and kids absolutely loved it! So if you are smoking a boneless pork loin throw on some of this bad boy. You will be thanking me later!
Smoked Chicken Rub
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ – ½ cup of olive oil optional
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- Gather all of your ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Give a good stir to combine all the ingredients.
- If you want to turn your dry rub into a paste so it sticks to the chicken (great for sings), add in olive oil and mix well until a paste consistency is formed.
- Rub all over your chicken to coat well.
- Set up your smoker as per your manufacturer’s guidelines and smoke chicken until cooked.
Charlies Tasty Tip!
If you enjoyed this recipe make sure you check me out on Youtube for more yummy ones!
This smoked chicken rub is deeeeeeelish!!
It’s something that I have used for years and something that I.
It’s amazing what you can add in and take away to create very different flavors (try smokey paprika).
Let me know if you have any similar barbecue rubs you love for smoked chicken!
Want some more motivation? Check out my favorite bbq blogs!
Author: Charlie Reeves
Hi, I’m Charlie, I am head taste tester at Simply Meat Smoking! I love it grilling, smoking, and getting out in the yard with the kids! The family also love to test all my recipes (especially my EXTRA CRISPY pulled pork, smoky pork loin, and ANY SEAFOOD I grill)
You will usually find me playing with the kids, perfecting my brisket bark, or sipping beers with boys around the fire. Can’t wait to share all my delicious smoking and grilling adventures with you!
You can read more on our About Us page.
Hungry For More?