Most people lean towards a piece of rib eye, sirloin or porterhouse when looking for a piece of meat to grill.
However we have found that some of the tastiest meats are the cheaper cuts. The tougher ones have more connective tissue, so when cooked right, they can be better than a sirloin(trust me).
Find out how to make this cut one of the tastiest things you can throw on the BBQ!
Why Use The Round Steak (Isn't It Tough?)
All the cuts have different flavours and prices! We have found that notoriously tougher cuts (the ones with more connective tissue) are often the most flavourful.
You just have to have patience and a good strategy and it will become out plump, juicy and on-par or better than the expensive cuts.
One piece of meat is that usually forgotten is the eye of a round steak.
This cut comes from the midsection of the animal. The round steak tends to be a tough section to work with. Little fat and the little flavour is the usual end result from working with this type of steak.
However, once you learn here to master the art of best way to cook eye of round steak, your friends, family and wallet will thank you.
Charlies Hot Tip
When you have oxygen surrounding your food, it begins to break it down quicker and the flavours are affected.
Try vacuum packing your food, this is a good way to save the quality of your meat and increase the flavour. The vacuum sealing eliminates all of the oxygen from the food item.
The things you will need to cook this are quite simple. If you follow this you will get the best out of your meat.
- Grill and a really good charcoal smoker
- Eye of Round Steak – You can purchase a roast and cut your own or pre-cut steaks.
- Zip Lock Bag
- Very Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Fresh Garlic, Salt, Pepper & Oregano
How To Prepare Your Round Steak
- The very first to do it to remove any excess fat from around the edges of your cut. The fat is flavour however only when it runs through the meat. The fat on edge can go tough when it cooked.
- Once you have the fat removed, tenderize the steak with salt & pepper, a pinch of oregano and 1 minced clove of garlic.
Make sure you season and rub both sides of the meat. I have put together some of the best BBQ rubs I have come across lately!
- Next, grab your ziplock bags or vacuum sealer and try to remove as much air as you can. You now want to place this in the fridge for at least 8 hours. This allows the ingredients to permeate through the meat.
Grilling Your Steak
- An hour before you plan to grill, put the steaks in a freezer. The idea is to get the meat off the grill when it is medium rare.
Freezing the meat will give you a good sear while slowly cooking the middle part. You don’t need the entire steak to freeze in that hour you just want it to harden up a bit.
- The next step is to get your fire started. It is recommended you use lump charcoal or briquettes. Try using a charcoal chimney to get your fire started, this allows you to get the fire started without the need for lighter fluid.
- Once the fire has burnt the coals down to a grey color you can dump them into the grill.
- If you end up using lighter fluid, make sure the briquettes are grey before putting your meat on the grill. Grey briquettes will let you know that the lighter fluid has completely burned away.
- The best way to cook eye of round steak is to Put your meat on the grill but not where the direct heat is. Direct fire or heat can burn your garlic and leave a bitter taste. Cook for about 4-7 minutes covered with a good air flow, flip your steak and allow for 5 more minutes.
- After this time you want to check the meat is cooked. Using a meat thermometer check the thickest part of the meat. You want to see a consistent reading of around 145-150°F or 50-55 °C. This will put the steaks in the medium rare range and will produce the most flavour.
Serving Your Steak
- Put your steak on a chopping board and cover for 6-10 minutes. This allows the meat to rest and juices to settle.
- While you let your steak rest, easily clean your grill by turning it to high for 5 – 10 minutes. After the suggested time give the grill grates scrub with a brush or make life really easy for yourself and use a grill stone cleaning block.
Charlies Hot Tip
If you are in a rush you can forgo the fridge process however it will affect the taste at the end.
Final Thougths on an Eye of Round Steak
The most rewarding part is seeing the magic you create with this notoriously “tough meat”.
Once you have mastered the art of the round eye steak, you can move onto other challenging cuts. You will be surprised how tasty some are when cooked correctly.
You will also find that these cuts are usually the ones left at the supermarket and more often than not, you will get them at a heavily discounted price.
What is your favourite “cheap cut”?
Charlies Hot Tip
We have found the best charcoal smokers for this job is a Weber as it allows you to grill and smoke your steak.
You would be correct thinking that a Weber is’nt a smoker, but if you use the charcoal snake method, you will be smoking in no time!
Still Hungry For More?