When summer comes around you can’t beat a nice light meal while watching the sun go down.
These Thai grilled shrimp skewers with watermelon & avocado are packed full of protein and light on calories.
Shrimp, watermelon, and avocado might seem like a strange combination.
However marinating shrimp in the coconut milk, ginger and jalapeno really seem to bring everything together in perfect harmony.
If someone at your cookout isn’t too keen on seafood why not try chicken? 9 time out of 10 they will love chicken (unless there are a vegetarian, at this point you need to rethink your offerings). I
have two recipes that are my go to for chicken!
First is my smoked wings recipe, I have found that everyone loves there sweet & smoky bad boys!
Next is my beer can smoked chicken, I am yet to meet someone who doesn’t love beer infused chicken (well over the age of 16!).
Thai Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Watermelon and Avocado Recipe
- High-heat cooking oil sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil, as needed
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper stemmed
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into 16 cubes (TIP: Slice avocado lengthwise into quarters, then cut each slice into 4 chunks)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 – 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 25 jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked for 1 hour
- In a blender or food processor, blend together jalapeno, garlic, ginger, milk, mint, lime juice and fish sauce on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- In a baking dish mix together shrimp and the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Lightly oil grill with cooking oil. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut the watermelon and avocado into 1 – 2 inch cubes.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and thread on skewers with avocado and watermelon, dividing evenly.
- Grill on medium-high heat, turning once, for 6 to 7 minutes, until shrimp are opaque throughout.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!
Want Some More Shrimp Recipes?
Popping your shrimp on skewers isn’t the only way to cook them! Try salt block grilled shrimp. It brings out a delicious sweetness in your shrimp.
Otherwise, you should try my cedar plank shrimp, using the cedar gives the shrimp a wonderfully smoky flavor.
There you have it! These skewers are an absolute crowd favorite.
Without a doubt, these little bad boys taste as impressive as they look and are a perfect accompaniment to a summer’s evening and a side salad full of mango.
What’s your favorite way to have prawns? Let me know below!