The Maverick ET-733 is a probe for you serious meat smokers out there, It is the big brother to the Maverick ET-732, they are close to being identical brothers, however, there are a couple of upgrades in this model.
The ET-733 features two probes at identical 6″ lengths, this is a welcome upgrade to the 732’s secondary 3″ probe.
The main upgrade (and a feature I really love) is the unit comes with preloaded settings for veal, turkey, beef, lamb, chicken, and pork. This makes cooking a breeze. Just select your meat and forget!
Even better for you real meat lovers out there is that the unit also includes preloaded settings for elk, moose, deer, rabbit and many more not so common gamey meats.
The range stays the same at 300 feet, which for me is more than enough. The only flaw is that signal is not super strong, so if you are on the other side of your house or at the neighbors you may lose signal due to the signal having to go through several walls.
But to be honest, that is not such an issue as my smoker is right outside my man cave.
The unit is easy to read and features a brilliant backlight. I am happy to say the unit displays both probes temperature and upper & lower limits simultaneously. The alarms are loud and accurate.
Similar to the ET-732 the ET-733 does take a little longer than some others to confirm a temperature reading, however, with the accuracy it provides I can live with that.
Maverick ET-733 Specifications
- Range: 300 Feet
- Food Probe Length: Total: 6″ Shaft: 0.19″ Cable: 6″
- Probe Temp Range: 32 – 572ºF
- Accuracy: 3°F
- Water Resistant: Splash resistant
- Transmitter: yes
- Water Resistant Receiver: no
- Transmitter & Probe Weight: 4.7 oz
- Receiver Weight: 3.4oz
- Reading: Celsius or fahrenheit
- Warranty: 90 day manufacturers warranty
Maverick ET-733 Key Features
- Dual Probes: A welcome upgrade to its predecessor are the two 6 inch probes.
- The LCD Screen: The wireless receiver has a nice large LCD screen, built-in stand and a backlight for use while cooking in the evening and afternoon. The unit also shows both probe temprature and upper/lower temprature.
- Pre Set Meats Settings: Meat movers (like myself) will welcome the pre programmed cooking temperatures. These are as set by the FDA and include but are not limited to beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken, and turkey.
- Bonus Game Meat Settings: It even has additional settings for gamey meats like deer, elk, moose and rabbit for the really adventurous eaters out there.
- Doneness Settings: Use the standard, or create your own doneness levels. These include rare, medium rare, medium and well done.
Pros and Cons of the Maverick ET-733
- Large and easy to read LCD screen with backlights
- Has pre-set cooking temps for beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken and turkey as well less common meats
- Fantastic customer service team
- Loud and accurate alarms
- Great range at 300 feet
- Two large meat probes
- The initial set up can be a little difficult because of all the features
- The range can be disrupted by multiple concrete/ house walls
My Rating and Final Thoughts of the Maverick ET-733
Once you have read the instruction manuel and figured out how to set up and use all of the features of the Maverick ET-733 it is a really amazing thermometer. The dual 6″ probes are a welcomed design upgrade to the older ET-732 unit.
I would recommend this unit for the serious barbecuer out there, this is mainly because of the slightly harder initial set up, however if you are fairly tech savvy you should have no issues.
I would mainly recommend the unit for the serious barbecuer because of all of the doneness level settings and the different meat settings. These are brilliant, however, if you don’t often cook elk or deer these settings will only be something to brag about.
Over all it is a great thermometer and one that I will be using for years to come.
4.6 / 5 stars