The Old Smokey electric smoker is essentially a tin can with a heating element. It has a couple of racks for the food to sit on and drip pan. It seems simple but it is often referred to as one of the best electric smokers on the market.
The simple design makes it easy to use and cheap to run, especially since we weren’t off buying expensive propane!
Even with the cheap running costs, we found this smoker one of the least expensive smokers on the market.
Before purchasing any smoker, conduct thorough research about the features and capabilities of a particular smoker. Many times people make a common mistake of rushing into a purchase and ending up paying to much for what they need!
So, before you decide to make a purchase, read this and see if the Old Smokey Electric Smoker is what you need!
Charlies – Old Smokey Electric Smoker Review
The Old Smokey Electric Smoker doesn’t only look like a solid tin can, it is a solid tin can! I like that little unit is solid and always delivers great tasting BBQ.
This is the perfect set and forget electric smoker for those who don’t have a huge amount of space.
Specifications of The Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- Height: 28 inches
- Diameter: 15 inches
- Wight: 23 lbs
- Cooking Area: 1 x 14.5 inch & 1 x 12.5 inch diameter cooking rack
The Old Smokey Electric Smokers Key Features
- Heat Thermostat: An advanced heat thermostat is added to the smoker to help you regulate and execute a variety of cooking time settings and styles. Once you set the temperature on this kit, you no longer have to worry about the heating. This kit will digitally control the inside temperature of the grill using its advanced sensors and heat regulator.
- Simplicity: The Old Smokey Electric Smoker greatest feature is the simplicity. We think it is perfect for anyone starting out or the advanced cook who just likes to work with the best yet simple product. There is no need to worry about parts failing or display malfunctions, sudden electronic fails, and so on. Although it’s simple, it smokes and cooks exceptional good meat.
- Tightly Fitting Lid: One of the most important features of a smoker is the seals and tightly fitting lid. If your smoker isn’t sealing then you are losing precious heat or smoke. This unit seals tight which means it also it creates the condensation, this then falls back on the meat, keeping it juicy and the enhancing flavor even more. We also found that with no leaks it made cleaning the smoker much easier. You don’t have grease dripping don’t the sides to scrub off later making the cleaning much easier.
- Good Electric Heating System: The electric heating system is also quite good. You don’t have to worry about maintaining or adjusting the temperature manually. Turn the knob in either way and you’re done. Having an electric heating system also means you can use this unit indoors as well. There’s no residual ash, so the risk of an accidental fire is minimal. Furthermore, because it’s electric there’s no hassle over the fire, just plug it in and voila.
- Portability: The Old Smokey is one of the easy smokers to move. It only weighs about 25 pounds, and it features two side handles. So, you have to worry about having a friend handy to move it. You can do it by yourself with almost no effort at all. This makes it a great option to take camping, tailgating or just around to a neighbor’s places. If you find you’re after a smaller unit, I have put together a list of the best small electric smokers.
- Effective Heating Mechanism: The old smokey is constructions using high quality aluminized steel. This steel, coupled together with a 1250 watt heating element and a thermostatic controller gives you everything you need to find the perfect ht temperature for your cook.
- Strong sturdy fireproof handles: The safety of this unit is top notch. The handles are made of with heat-resistant materials. No matter how long you cook, you can always lift the lid holding the handles safely.
- Easy inserting or removing Grills: The grills of this unit were extremely easy to rearrange. It has two grills, upper and lower, with diameters of 14.5” and 12.5” respectively. Each of these has handles to make inserting and removing them an easier task.
Unsure if an electric smoker is right for you? How about a Pit Barrel Cooker? It is still an ugly drum smoker, but runs on charcoal! Check out the Pit Barrel Cooker Reviews if you are unsure what is best for you.
Is the Old Smokey Easy to Assemble?
One of our favorite features was the ease of assembly. You can literally pull it out the box, wrap and start using it.
There is nothing else on the market which is this easy to use. Especially considering how precise and easy the temperature management.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Most pellet or charcoal smoker can be quite complicated can be quiet hard to maintain and clean.
All you need to do for cleaning the Old Smokey is to pour in a bit of water with some lemon or vinegar on the drip pan and start the smoker.
Once condensation is built up, turn off the smoker. We just grab a pair of thick pair of bbq gloves and use a wire brush to scrub it.
The Old Smokey Warranty
Old Smokey Electric Smoker is covered by a 1-year warranty. The warranty is limited to any defects regarding the workmanship and its materials.
You should check it regularly for any damage or defects.
This warranty only includes replacement or repair of the defective parts.
Note: Normal wear and tear, damage due to improper use and rust are not covered
Value For Money
We think this is one of the best electric smokers on the market for under $200. Not to mention one of the durable!
The simplicity is what makes it so amazing and worth buying. If you’re one of those people who doesn’t want fancy LED screens and redundant buttons, this is the perfect smoker for you.
We found that the there are many smoker grills that claiming to be the best, the Old Smokey Electric Smoker always does what it promises- quality smoking and grilling with ease and convenience.
Pros and Cons
What We Liked
- Handy and convenient to use.
- Simple Startup. All you need to do is plug in the smoker/grill and start using it!
- Large cooking space with a 15” inch diameter and two grills.
- Even heat distribution.
- Super portable, so use It anywhere you want. It is only 25 pounds!
What We Did’t Like
- Gets very hot when in use.
- Top load design can be a little awkward.
Overall, this review sums up to a simple fact.
The Old Smokey Electric Smoker is a simple high quality product worth buying if you’re after something simple yet very durable.
Those looking to make succulent, the juicy smoked meat will get the most of their money with this little tin can cooker.
Overall Rating: 4.6 / 5
Frequently Asked Questions
I get many questions about the Old Smokey, I have put a few of them below.
Q: If you are smoking multiple pieces of meat, do you have to lift off the top grates to get to the lower grates?
A: Yes, and smaller pieces fit on top. I often put sausage or meats that cook less time on the top rack.
Q: How long should I cook two chickens cut into quarters?
A: In general, cook chicken for about 20 minutes per pound. Cut pieces cook faster than whole chickens. Start out on high and slightly reduce heat after about 1/2 an hour.
Q: Can it hold heat for a a long period of time, to make items such as jerky?
A: It is digitally controlled with advanced sensors and heat regulator. I have had it going for well over 11 hours and the heat stayed constant. It is perfect for making jerky in a smoker.
Q: What happens if you use this without water , just using the dry heat and smoke?
A: It doesn’t need water, so don’t add any. Since it is a sealed cooker, the moisture stays in the smoker and the drippings fall into the drip pan.
Q: is there a temperature gauge on the unit that you can control?
A: It isn’t quite a “temperature” gauge but it has a dial that you can set from low to high. I had to drop a wireless thermometer in there to determine what temps low, medium and high which actually vary depending on the outside temperature. It would be much easier if it had a proper thermostat but sadly it does not.
Q: What is a similar electric smoker, in the same price range?
A: I would recommend having a look at the Char-Broil Big Easy. It is similar in size however it can also roast.
Q: Can you fit a large brisket in it?
A:You sure can, it has a large interior. I have a guide on how to smoke a turkey in an electric smoker.
Still Hungry For More?