There is a great deal of trust in Masterbuilt throughout the cooking community.
Backyards all around the United States have been home to Masterbuilts for decades. And for good reason.
They are one of the most well known brands and have been around for decades. We tried the Masterbuilt 20078715.
For an electric smoker it delivers flavors very similar to a charcoal smoker. Which is awesome coming from an electric smoker. It is also built with Masterbuilts famous long lasting durable construction.
The LCD screen and control panel is clear and easy to use. We put in our settings, added our 2 chickens, added our wood chips and water. Then we forget about it until its done. We love BBQ but hate standing around tending it all day, so this was like a dream unit to us.
The construction of this unit is quality. In true Masterbuilt fashion they have built a sleek, good looking unit. It backs up its looks with functionality, versatility and most importantly consistent results.
It can be a little hard deciding on a smoker before looking at it or testing it yourself.
We have made this review to help people who are looking at the Masterbuilt 20078715 30 inch Electric Smoker.
We hope that this helps you make your buying decision that little bit easier.
Masterbuilt 20078715 Specifications
- Dimensions: 19 x 17 x 32 inches
- Cooking Area: 721 sq inches
- Weight: 50lbs
- Temperature Range: 100 – 275 degrees Fahrenheit
- Element: 800 watts
- Capacity: 12 whole chickens, 2 whole turkeys,4 racks of ribs, 48 sausages, 24 burgers or 4 pork butts
Masterbuilt 20078715 Key Features
- LCD Screen: The easy to master control panel is one of our favorite features. You can use it from 100 to 275 degrees F with the thermostat temperature control. The internal temperature controller will cook your food to perfection. It will also alert you when your cooks finished. No more second guessing.
- Spacious Cooking Space: Masterbuilt 20078715 has over 721 square inches of cooking space. The cooking space is spread across four adjustable cooking racks. The adjustable racks make it easy to cook different food types at the same time. We found we were able to feed upwards of 10 people with this smoker.
- Wood Chip Loading System: We found that it was simple to add chips or wood chunks to the Masterbuilt 30 inch Electric Smoker. It has a smooth operating side box located and on the outside of the unit. Having access to the box from the outside meant we didn’t lose ant precious heat or smoke when we filled it up.
- Front Access Drip Pan: One of the top things I look for when picking a smoker is the cleaning and maintenance demands. This unit has an ingenious design. The drip pan directs grease and oil directly into a drainage area. This area has an attached pot which can be removed and cleaned in a flash.
- Strong and Sturdy Construction: The body of the units constructed from very high-quality heat-resistant materials. We found that in even in strong winds and low temperatures it still performed well. It held a consistent cooking temperature throughout a long cook.
Ease of Setup
This unit is very simple to set up. All you need to do it unwrap all the parts and you are good to go.
From unboxing to your first ‘season smoke’ it should take you no longer than 20 minutes. Whats even better is you can do this alone with no trouble.
The longest part is seasoning your electric smoker. This takes around 3 hours. Again this is a simple process.
Ease of Use
Using the Masterbuilt 20078715 is a breeze. This goes for everyone rom a complete beginner to expert. Its more or less a plug in and go unit.
The LED control unit its very clear and easy to read. The LED lights are fantastic when you are starting a smoke early or very late. Setting and making temperature adjustments is simple as pushing a couple of buttons.
This unit is my top pick for someone who loves deep smoky flavors. With the ability to cook in limited amounts of time compared to a more traditional smoker.
Without a LED setup we had our meat cooking with this unit. We found due to this ease, we were using the unit more and more rather than let it collect dust in the shed.
Cleaning and Maintaining the Masterbuilt 20078715
When it comes to keeping the Masterbuilt 20078715 clean it is straightforward. Once your done cooking all you need to do is clean out the wood chip tray, water pan and drip pan.
To help this process if you cover the drip pan in foil you don’t really have anything to clean up. The unit comes with easy to follow instructions on how to clean.
Now the maintenance. I would recommend once or twice per year (depending on use) to give the racks and the sidewalls a little bit of a once over. But also keep in mind that if you start to get a build up around the inside of your unit this helps add flavour to your cooks.
We have listed some of our top tips below for how to clean a Masterbuilt electric smoker:
- All you need to do to clean out the wood chip holder is give it a quick brush out after each use.
- The cooking racks can be put in the dishwasher. Don’t use any caustic chemicals and ensure they are dry before you put them back. Take out racks that are not in use while cooking.
- The outside and inside areas only need a quick and simple wipe with a damp cloth.
- Make sure you check the seals on the doors after each use.
- If you cover the drips & water pans with foil it makes clean up even easier again!
Masterbuilt Warranty Details
This unit is covered under warranty. It is guaranteed to be free from any material or workmanship defects for a period of 90 days.
After the original retail purchase.
Note: Any paint finishing and rust are not covered under the Masterbuilt warranty.
Do You Get Value For Money?
The Masterbuilt 20078715 comes in at well under $300. It is not the most expensive electric smoker on the market. Without taking into account any of its features it is a damn good price.
If you are looking for the best smoker under 300 dollars you can’t look past the 20078715.
The ease of use and construction makes this unit well worth the investment. It has many features that other smokers in this price range don’t have. It delivers you your money’s worth. in the form of excellently smoked flavors and convenience.
Pros and Cons of the Masterbuilt 20078715
- High-quality materials used.
- Setup and forget functionality.
- Ingeniously designed for both the novice and advanced smokers.
- Maintained a high temperature with ease.
- 721 square inches of the cooking area, you can cook for a large number of people.
- This unit doesn’t come with wheels. As it around 50 pounds, we did need someone to help us move it around..
- The LCD screen will monitor the internal temperature of smoker it can make improve your smoking if you also grab a meat probe. This unit doesn’t come with one.
Charlies Rating and Final Thoughts on the Masterbuilt 20078715
With any Masterbuilt unit, you know you’re getting a top quality product.
The 20078715 is no exception. It is a perfect electric smoker for cooking for 10 + people. Or even to throw in a couple of racks of ribs for the family one evening.
The Masterbuilt 20078715 electric smoker delivers a deep smoky flavor. This is surprising coming from an electric smoker.
The bonus of having a true set and forget smoker is fantastic. It lets you go about your day not worrying about it until its business time. The added convenience of not having to worrying about propane tanks or flames its great. Handy for those who have young ones around.
Simply plug it in and switch it on – job done. Once again the Masterbuilt 20078715 is one the best electric smokers I have used.
The Bottom Line: If you want a user-friendly smoker that is easy to use. High quality and is not complicated to set up and use. The this is the right unit for you.
4.2 / 5 Stars
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there an advantage of having a window.
A: You tend to lose heat with a windowed unit. The unit has to work harder to maintain the temperature.
Q: How many watts does this unit have?
A: 1200 Watts.
Q: How high does the temperature go?
A: The max temperature is 275.
Q: What are some of the best things to smoke in this?
A: I would recommend my smoked bacon jerky recipe, it is bloody delicious!
Q: How many lbs will it smoke at one time?
A: We have done a maximum of 30-50 pounds at once.
Q: Would you recommend this smoker for brisket?
A: 100%. I think this smoker is perfect for brisket. I would check out my guide to smoking brisket in an electric smoker first thought!
Q: Do I use wood chips or wood chunks?
A: You can use both in this smoker.
Q: Would this be suitable for one or two people?
A: This is quite a big smoker better suited to 4+ people. However, the Old Smoky Smoker would be perfect for for one – two people!