Buying a smoker is a big commitment. It can very easily turn into a big financial commitment too.
When starting out on your meat smoking journey it is very easy to just go out and buy the most expensive unit – assuming that that is going to be the best unit.
However, that is not always the case. A lot of us out there do not have the big budget for a smoker, but that is ok. We can still get quality. This guide is going to cover my picks for the best electric smoker under 200 dollars.
Each of these electric smokers has its own pros and cons. However, they all have the price in common. They come in under $200. You will be surprised at the quality of these units at such a low price point.
I have designed this guide to help those that are new to smoking. Or those who are just smoker-curious.
I have compared my picks for the best electric smoker under 200 dollars to help you make the best decision. And of course to save a little bit of money in the process.
|Smoker Name||Dimensions||Cooking Space (Square Inches)||Warranty||Product Link|
|Masterbuilt 20073716||15.9 x 23.6 x 23.4||12||90 days|
|Masterbuilt 20071117||20.4 x 19.8 x 33.2||265||90 days|
|Smoke Hollow 3016DEW||20.4 x 19.8 x 33.2||540||1 year|
|Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D||23.5 x 18.4 x 35||505||1 year|
|Old Smokey||17.5 x 17.5 x 29||280||1 year|
The Best Electric Smoker Under 200 Dollars – Individual Reviews
Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
If you are looking for a smoker that you can take everywhere with you, look no further than the Masterbuilt 20073716.
This little beauty is a fantastic unit that is still big enough to cook a 15lb turkey in. It is small enough to slip in with your camping gear or to tuck away in the RV for the summer.
Coming in at just under $100 it is a must have for any smoker on the move.
Masterbuilt 20073716 Specifications
- Height: 15.9 inches
- Width: 23.6 inches
- Depth: 23.4 inches
- Weight: 21.6 lbs
- Cooking Area: 730 sq in
- Cooking Racks: 2
Key Features of the Masterbuilt 20073716 Electric Smoker
- Portable: It’s not just a name. The 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker is just that. Amazingly portable. The unit is essentially a 20 inch cubes box which makes it extremely easy to store, transport and manoeuvre. Even the legs fold up! This makes it a perfect companion for the RV, packing it in the car to take to the campground or even to throw in the car for the kids Saturday sports events.
- Lightweight: The total unit weight is just shy of 22 lbs. This is light enough to carry anywhere. For those of you who are adventurous, I highly recommend also buying the Masterbuilt 20080116 Portable Smoker Carrying Bag it makes bringing this bad boy anywhere a real breeze. The bag is super heavy duty and has lots of pockets for storage.
- Temperature Control: There are three temperature settings on this smoker. Low, medium and high. You can easily change between these settings with the simple dial. The dial is simply placed on the front door where you can easily keep an eye on the temperature and make changes accordingly.
- The Element: Having 1400 watts of heating power, the 20073716 has enough power to smoke a range of foods in just a couple of hours. I found the smoker can hold a constant temperature well, however, because of its smaller size you do need to keep on top of the wood chip levels.
- Removable Pans: The removable wood and water pan makes refilling a breeze. Removing the tray can be done while the smoker is running without disturbing the cooking process. Perfect!
- Foldable Legs: The feature that I loved the most was the foldable legs. These legs are surprisingly sturdy and very convenient. They can be folded flat under the unit for easy storage anywhere and they have enough height to keep the unit safe from dirt, mud, sand, and grass.
An Overview From Masterbuilt
Pros and Cons of the Masterbuilt 20073716
- Large capacity for a transportable unit.
- Removable water and chip trays.
- Lightweight and very portable.
- One of the easiest units to transport.
- Ready to use right out of the box.
- Easy to clean with the removable internal rack system.
- Lightweight at slightly under 22 pounds.
- Warranty period is short, only ninety days.
- The grease catching system can get clogged quickly.
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Masterbuilt 20073716 Electric Smoker
For me, there are no two ways around it. The Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric smoker is a must have for anyone who likes taking their great tasting food with them.
If this unit had a bigger capacity it would without a doubt be my my top pick for the best electric smoker under 200. If defiantly takes number one stop for best portable electric smoker under 200.
For a small unit it delivers a great tasting smokey flavour and is even big enough to fit a 15lb turkey inside.
Being an electric smoker it makes easy work cooking for friends and family away from the kitchen.
You really can’t beat this unit on price, portability or quality.
Overall Rating: 4.8 / 5 Stars
Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker
Coming in at slightly under $200 is the Masterbuilt 20071117 electric smoker. This is my top pic for best electric smoker under 200$.
Overall it is a fantastic unit for those of who don’t have a huge budget but want to get a generous sized smoker that can get the job done. And get it done with ease and exceptional taste.
The 20071117 is an easy to use electric smoker that will cook 24 burgers, 6 chickens or two whole turkeys at one time.
More than enough room to try everything before deciding if you want to make a huge investment in something with more features.
Masterbuilt 20071117 Specifications
- Height: 33.2 inches
- Width: 20.4 inches
- Depth: 19.8 inches
- Weight: 39.3 lbs
- Cooking Area: 730 sq inches
- Cooking Racks: 4
Key Features of the Masterbuilt 20071117 Electric Smoker
- Built In Thermometer: The easy to read built in digital thermometer lets you check, set and maintain the smoking environment with ease. I found that the thermometer was accurate throughout the entire cook.
- Insulation: The 20071117 is extremely well insulated. Therefore it maintains a constant temperature and still performs really well in cold climates.
- Temperature Control: The digital thermometer lets you control the temperature at the click of a button. Easily choose and maintain temperatures between the 100° – 275°F.
- Additional add-ons: One really cool thing about the 20071117 is the fact that you can buy the base model and add on any additional extras that you would lie. This is really great because it keeps the cost down and you can customize the smoker to suit your own needs. For example, I don’t think that you need to have a smoker that includes a window. The window is great for the first 15 minutes of the cook, however, then it just gets smoky and dirty and you can’t see anything anyway.
- Smoking Racks: Inside the smoker are four chrome coated smoking racks. These racks are sturdy and well spaced giving you lots of space for a selection of meats.
- The Size: The 30 inch model gives the average smoker more than enough room. The large 730 sq inches of cooking space will be enough to feed a small army of backyard feasters.
- Patented Side Wood Chip Loading System: Easily add wood chips without opening the smoker door, keeping all the heat in the smoker.
An Overview From Masterbuilt
Pros and Cons of the Masterbuilt 20071117
- The Large cook space.
- The endless options for customization.
- Convenient and easy to use side wood loading system.
- The quality for the price.
- Easy to use temperature gauge.
- The unit is a little heavier than other making it hard to move around.
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Masterbuilt 20071117 Electric Smoker
The Masterbuilt 20071117 30 inch is a great smoker for those who are after a quality smoker at an affordable price point.
This unit is my top pick for the best Electric smoker under 200$.
The base model is a good model for those who don’t want to spend a tonne of money but are after a quality unit that you can build on in the future. I call this a great entry level smoker.
This makes the 20071117 a perfect unit for first time smokers.
It is also large enough to handle feeding a decent size crowd, perfect for backyard entertaining and feeding an impromptu party.
The Masterbuilt 20071117 is a great cheap first timers or back up smoker to have around the home or workplace.
Overall Rating: 4.7 / 5 Stars
Smoke Hollow 3016DEW 30" Digital Electric Smoker
Do you enjoy watching your meat being smoked?
The Smoke Hollow 30 inch digital electric smoker is the one for you! Coming in at slightly under $200 this is a great unit that has plenty of room and a decent build quality.
The easy to read and use digital controller is very straightforward to use and will have you smoking in no time, it doesn’t matter if you are a first-timer or seasoned veteran.
It is a sturdy unit that has the ability to cook a wide range of different cuts of meat due to the removable and adjustable cooking racks.
Smoke Hollow 3016DEW Electric Smoker Specifications
- Height: 41.5 inches
- Width: 20.6 inches
- Depth: 22.3 inches
- Weight: 51 lbs
- Cooking Area: 540 sq in
- Cooking Racks: 4
Key Features of the Smoke Hollow 3016DEW Electric Smoker
- Large External Wood Tray: The new external wood chip tray is super easy to use and lets you add more wood chips without opening the smoker and disturbing the smoking environment.
- Cooking Grids: The three chrome plated cooking grids are fully adjustable to fit almost any cut of meat.
- Viewing Window: On some smokers, the viewing window gets messy fast, not this one it managed to stay clean for most of the cook. However, when it does get grubby it is a breeze to clean.
- The Heat Source: The massive 1500 watt electric heat source has plenty of power to cook everything from meat to cheese in as little as a couple of hours.
- Digital Controller: The new digital electronic controls led display is super easy and use and even easier to see. Easily change the temperature and cook time with the press of a button.
- Sturdy Construction: Everything from the legs to the handles on this bad boy is made with durability in mind. This smoker is built to last. Everything from the handles to the wheels.
Pros and Cons of the Smoke Hollow 3016DEW
- Viewing window which is surprisingly easy to clean.
- Impressive 1500 watt heat source.
- The easy to use external wood chip tray.
- Three chrome plated cooking grids.
- Large cooking capacity compared to others in this price range.
- The unit sometimes has trouble with drainage. The main cavity does get left with fat from time to time.
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Smoke Hollow 3016DEW 30" Digital Electric Smoker
In my opinion, this Smoke Hollow electric smoker is a really durable smoker that is truly made for year round smoking.
It is also well insulated so you know that you can smoke in the middle of winter without compromising temperature. It doesn’t matter if its 10 degrees out of 80.
The easy to use new digital controller and wood chip tray are great additions and help create a very user friendly experience.
This smoker is just waiting to impress your guests at any time of the year!
Overall Rating: 4.5 / 5 Stars
Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D 30 Inch Electric Smoker
The Dyna Glo DGU505BAE Electric smoker is a vertical smoker best suited to those who want a cheap, easy to use, easy to set up and consistent smoking unit.
If it had a front viewing window it would be higher on the list for the best electric smoker under 200 dollars.
The DGU505BAE has been made with handy features to ensure that you will be smoking great food every time.
The adjustable cooking grates allow for cooking versatility and the side wood chip entry ensures you won’t lose any smoke or heat mid smoke.
Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D Electric Smoker Specifications
- Height: 35.9 inches
- Width: 23.5 inches
- Depth: 18.4 inches
- Weight: 46.3 lbs
- Cooking Area: 505 sq in
- Cooking Racks: 4
Key Features of the Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D Electric Smoker
- The Burner: The powerful 1,650-Watt burner ensures that no matter what the temperature is outside or what meat you are planning on cooking.
- Adjustable Racks: The 3 adjustable and removable chrome-plated cooking grates are sturdy and the runners slide easily.
- Wood Chip Loader: The conveniently placed side access wood chip loader reduces heat and smoke loss when more wood chips are needed.
- Temperature Dial: The manual temperature dial allows for fine-tuning to get your perfect cooking temperature.
- Temperature Gauge: Easily read stainless steel temperature gauge with handy “Smoke Zone” feature which indicates the perfect temperature for infusing flavor.
- Insulation: The double-walled firebox retains heat really well. I didn’t notice any fluctuations in temperature throughout the cooking process.
An Overview from Dyna-Glo
Pros and Cons of the Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D Electric Smoker
- Well insulated.
- Powerful burner that regulates a steady cooking temperature in all conditions.
- The handy ‘Smoke Zone’ Feature.
- The side entry wood chip loader.
- The general sturdy construction of the unit, carry handles and legs.
- The catch can does not catch all the drippings and around 1/3 ended up on the floor and dripping down the unit.
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Dyna-Glo DGU505BAE-D Electric Smoker
The Dyna-Glo is a fantastic little smoker for those who are looking for a cheap, quick and easy alternative to some of the more expensive and hard to use charcoal or wood smokers.
It basically comes ready to use out of the packet and is a real joy to use. The removable trays give you plenty of options for cooking different meat cuts.
You get a surprisingly authentic flavor out of this unit in a short time. Quite impressive for such a cheap price.
The overall construction is great and it is a sturdy unit perfect for any beginner or professional looking to save a little bit of money.
Overall Rating: 4.4 / 5 Stars
Old Smokey Electric Smoker
The Old Smokey electric smoker is the most solid, useful tin can you will ever set your eyes on.
This little beauty is a very solid unit that delivers great tasting food. This is the perfect set and forget electric smoker for those who don’t have a huge amount of space.
Essentially you just load up your food and let the Old Smokey get to work. Its one of my favourite electric smokers ever.
Old Smokey Electric Smoker Specifications
- Height: 29 inches
- Width: 15.5 inches
- Depth: 15.5 inches
- Cooking Space: 280 sq inches
- Weight: 23 lbs
Key Features of the Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- Heat Thermostat: An advanced heat thermostat is added to the smoker to help you regulate and execute a variety of cooking time settings and styles. Once you set the temperature on this kit, you no longer have to worry about the heating. This kit will digitally control the inside temperature of the grill using its advanced sensors and heat regulator.
- Simplicity: The Old Smokey Electric Smoker greatest feature is the simplicity. We think it is perfect for anyone starting out or the advanced cook who just likes to work with the best yet simple product. There is no need to worry about parts failing or display malfunctions, sudden electronic fails, and so on. Although it’s simple, it smokes and cooks exceptional good meat.
- Tightly Fitting Lid: One of the most important features of a smoker is the seals and tightly fitting lid. If your smoker isn’t sealing then you are losing precious heat or smoke. This unit seals tight which means it also it creates the condensation, this then falls back on the meat, keeping it juicy and the enhancing flavor even more. We also found that with no leaks it made cleaning the smoker much easier. You don’t have grease dripping don’t the sides to scrub off later making the cleaning much easier.
- Portability: The Old Smokey is one of the easy smokers to move. It only weighs about 25 pounds, and it features two side handles. So, you have to worry about having a friend handy to move it. You can do it by yourself with almost no effort at all. This makes it a great option to take camping, tailgating or just around to a neighbor’s places.
- Strong Sturdy Fireproof Handles: The safety of this unit is top notch. The handles are made of with heat-resistant materials. No matter how long you cook, you can always lift the lid holding the handles safely.
- Easy inserting or removing Grills: The grills of this unit were extremely easy to rearrange. It has two grills, upper and lower, with diameters of 14.5” and 12.5” respectively. Each of these has handles to make inserting and removing them an easier task.
An Overview of he Old Smokey
Pros and Cons of the Old Smokey Electric Smoker
Old Smokey Pros
- Handy and convenient to use.
- Simple Startup. All you need to do is plug in the smoker/grill and start using it!
- Even heat distribution.
- Large cooking space with a 15” inch diameter and two grills.
- Super portable, so use It anywhere you want. It is only 25 pounds!
Old Smokey Cons
- Can get very hot while in use .
- Loading in from the top can be a little awkward.
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Old Smokey Electric Smoker
Overall, the Old Smokey electric smoker is a high quality product worth buying if you’re after something simple yet durable.
Those looking to make succulent and juicy smoked meat with minimal effort will get the most out of their money with this little tin can.
One of my favorite features is the ease of assembly. You can literally pull it out the box, wrap and start using it.
There are many smokers that claim to be the best, but fail to deliver. The Old Smokey electric smoker always does what it promises – quality smoking and grilling with ease and convenience.
You’ll become a master of the smoker after two or three times of using this little guy.
Overall Rating: 4.2 / 5 Stars
Charlies Final Thoughts on the Best Electric Smokers Under 200
There you have it, my picks for the best electric smokers under 200 dollars.
I hope that one of these smokers will be the smoker for you.
Furthermore I hope that you will continue to follow your smoking dreams and live on to produce beautiful smoked food for your friends and loved ones.