An electric smoker is perfect for smoked brisket or ribs without the hassle. No need to wait outside all day, its the perfect cooker for set and forget smoking. Meaning you have more time with the family and friends.
However are you struggling to pick the best electric smoker for your money?
We think the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is the absolute best electric smoker for a majority of people. It really hits the sweet spot of high quality and low price.
In this article I’m going to show you exactly what the best electric smoker is for you needs (whether that be cheapest, biggest or easiest to use) Read on and you will be cooking delicious barbecue before you know it!
|Best Electric Smoker for The Money|
Masterbuilt 30 inch Electric Smoker
Cooking Space: 730 Square Inches
Dimensions: 18 x 19 x 34 inches
|Check Masterbuilt Price|
|Best Electric Smoker for The Money Runner Up|
Char Broil Digital Deluxe Electric Smoker
Cooking Space: 725 Square Inches
Dimensions: 16 x 18 x 32 In
|Check Char Broil Price|
|Best Large Electric Smoker |
Masterbuilt 20075315 Electric Smoker
Cooking Space: 975 Square Inches
Dimensions: 18 x 24 x 42 Inches
|Check Masterbuilt Price|
|Best Cheap Electric Smoker|
Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker
Cooking Space: 1.7 Cubic Feet
Dimensions: 18 x 18 x 33 Inches
|Check Smoke Hollow Price|
Electric smokers excel at smoking beef fish, peppers, sausage, nuts, bacon, and cheese.Meathead Goldwyn – Amazing Ribs
Here are the Best Electric Smokers for 2021
We don’t all have the same budget or needs, so we have picked the 4 best electric smoker for you. Let’s find out what model will suit you.
Masterbuilt 30 Inch – Overall Top Electric Smoker
Pick For The Overall Best Electric Smoke
The Masterbuilt digital smoker is simple to use for any level of cook. It doesn’t matter if your just getting started or have experience smoking meat, you will be able to create delicious food. It also allows you to cook without the hassle of charcoal, pellets or building a wood fire.
This smoker allows for true ‘set & forget’ cooking, switch it on using the digital control panel and set the temperature anywhere between 100 – 275°F
You can rely on it to keep a constant temperature thanks to the 100% insulated stainless steel casting and strong heating element. The digital control panel also has a 24 hour digital timer and auto shut off.
The main cabinet of the smoker is made from stainless steel and the interior of the smoker is built from aluminum,
It also includes 4 removable chrome coated racks, a smart wood chip loading system and a huge cooking space.
This a perfectly built smoker and the chrome coated stainless steel means it easy to clean.
Masterbuilt is one of the most well known and respected names in the barbecue, grilling and smoking industry. If you have read our other guides you will be see we are big fans of Masterbuilt electric digital smokers
Your will find the Masterbuilt electric smoker comes in a few different variations, you can see them below
- Basic 30 Inch model
- 40 Inches with a viewing window
- 30 Inch with a window, Bluetooth and a broiler
- 40 Inch with a window, Bluetooth and a broiler
What About The Set Up? Masterbuilt have made this smoker simple to set up and even easier to use. Right out of the box you have minimal set up, which is easy to do and follow on the included instructions.
One downside is that the power cord is quite short, so if you do not have an outdoor extension cord and you are planning to have the smoker far away from an outlet you are best to get yourself an extension when purchasing. Not a big problem but something to be aware of before purchasing.
It is a toss up between the 30″ and 40″ for this guide. The 30″ gives 730 square inches of cooking surface was more than enough to feed 12+ people! The 4 racks are all removable which is really great if you are planning to cook turkeys, shoulders or other large cuts.
Other than that there is’nt much between them, so we suggest going with the most affordable windowless less option
Enough about what I thought, lets dive into the key features of this electric smoker.
Height: 19.9 inches
Width: 20.4 inches
Depth: 33.3 inches
Weight: 45 lbs
730 Square Inches of Cooking Space
Temperature Range: 100 to 275 degrees Fahrenrint
800 Watt Heating Element
- Side Wood Chip Loading System: The wood loading system has a design that allows you to top up your wood chips easily without having to open the main doors. This helps to keep an even cooking temperature in the main cooking chamber and takes the guesswork out of your cooking time. The design of the loading system allows you to add wood chips without burning or harming yourself
- Internal Thermostat: The internal thermostat keeps the temperature of the cooking chamber under control. This thermostat seems to be very accurate when tested against my ambient temperature thermometer meaning superb insulation. Unfortunately, the internal thermostat is only to monitor and maintain the internal temperature of the smoker, not the food you are cooking. To keep an eye on the temperature of the food I would suggest using a Bluetooth thermometer
- Top Air Damper: Lets you have total control over moisture and smoke levels. This feature made it so much easier to control how much smoke was being produced. This feature really shines when you are cooking different types of meat.You can’t smoke chicken and fish in the same environments, however, this feature gives you the option.
- This device uses an 800-Watt heating element that provides even and consistent smoking
- Water Pan: The water pan allows you to add a special flavour to your cook. You can add in juice, stock, vinegar or even your favourite beer. It is fully removable and holds enough liquid for a long smoke.
- Chrome Coated Removable Racks: You get 4 fully removable chrome coated racks standard, this is enough to hold around 30 lbs of meat all up, or if you would rather smoke a bigger cut of meat such as a turkey or a pork butt, you can remove 3 of the trays to make more room. This is a feature that I really love, you can even buy more racks and customize your interior to hold more racks if you are into smoking sausage, bacon or fish.
What We Liked
- Easy to set up and simple to use.
- Four removable, fully-supported cooking grates.
- Genius drip pan / grease cup combination.
- Probe for checking internal temperature
- Accurate internal thermostat and great insulation.
- Super simple digital control panel
- Ideal temperature is maintained throughout the cooking process
- Quality materials and construction
What We Didn’t Like
- Short electric lead.
- When completely full the smoker doesn’t hold a constant high temperature.
As mentioned above it is very hard to go pass this electric smoker at this price point. This smoker comes loaded up with all the features you would expect from a more expensive smoker but is also backed up by the genuine quality that Masterbuilt as renowned for.
Char Broil Deluxe Digital – Runner Up for Top Smoker
The Char Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker 725 has a huge 750 square inches of cooking space that hold four 15″ x 12.5″ cooking racks. If your not sold on the Masterbuilt we think this is an great alternative
The temperature in this Char Broil electric smoker can be adjusted between 100°F for cold smoking things like pork bellies for bacon, the upper range goes up to 275°F. The internal temperature can easily be adjusted from the digital control on the unit, or from a remote control
This smoker uses an electric heat element to smoulder the wood chips so there is no mastery of fire management. It is perfect for anyone who wants to smoke food at home but doesn’t want to dedicate the whole weekend to the process.
There are two different models of the Char Broil, the standard and the deluxe. On the whole they are the essentially the same. However, the deluxe model has two really great additional features:
- A glass window for viewing your cook, which means there’s no need to interrupt the cooking process.
- A remote control. This works the same as the digital control, however, you can use this up to 100 feet away from the smoker. This is a very welcome addition and means you can control the internal temperature at the comfort of your couch.
- Air tight, that means you don’t lose any precious heat and smoke.
Specifications of the Char Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
Height: 18 inches
Width: 32 inches
Depth: 32 inches
Weight: 50 lbs
750 Square Inches of Cooking Area
1500 Watt Heating Element
- Adjustable Cooking Racks: Four adjustable racks give you lots of options for configuration. You might want have a large brisket on the bottom and a few smaller shelves for wings
- Double Walled Stainless Steel Interior: The double walled stainless steel interior make sure that no heat or smoke escapes throughout the cook. This helps maintain an even cooking environment giving you the best results. Another perk of this feature is that you can cook in all different types of conditions and not worry about your smoker acting differently. You can be sure your cook will behave the same every time.
- Built In Meat Probe For Internal Temperature: The built in meat probe can be inserted into your meat to check internal temperature and ensure that you cook your meat to perfection every time. The probe is also washable and can be used in multiple food types.
- Digital Controls: The simple, well laid out digital control panel are a breeze to use and allows for internal temperature control , cook time and can even tell you when your food is ready to eat!
- Wood Chip Box: The large wood chip box can have up to 8 hours worth of chips in it at one time. This is great for overnight cooks or throughout the day while you are entertaining or watching the game as well as eliminating opening the door
- Keep Warm Feature: The Keep warm feature allows you to keep your cook warm once it is ready. It will not keep on cooking or flavoring your cook, only keep it to perfect eating temperature.
- Side Access Grease Cup and Tray: Cleaning the grease out of the smoker is a breeze with the side access grease tray, simply slide it out and discard all the grease.
- Glass Window: The Deluxe model includes a front glass window. This is not a necessity, however, is a welcome addition. Personally I like to see how my meat is going and with no glass fronts your really can’t get in and have a good look at how your meat is cooking. Every time you open your door you are letting out precious heat and smoke, they key to a good cook is having a even cooking environment.
- Remote Control: The remote control is my favourite thing about this smoker. It works just like the digital controls on the unit itself, but you get all the same functionality from up to 100 foot away from the smoker. This feature is perfect for those of you out there who are entertainers and don’t like to get distracted from your entertaining.
What We Like
- The double-walled stainless-steel interior and exterior layers that make a noticeable difference. The exterior layers ensure that the smoker is not hot to the touch, while the interior layers ensure that heat and smoke do no escape, creating juicier BBQ.
- Great full temperature range.
- Removable cooking grates for cleaning
- Simple yet innovation digital control panel
- Solid construction using the top quality 304 stainless which gives it superb insulation.
- Efficient grease management system.
- This smoker features full electronic control with meat probe so you can monitor your barbecue without opening the door, preventing smoke and heat loss
What We Didn’t Like
- The cooking space isn’t as large as similar products on the markets.
If you are looking for value for money you have come to the right place. The Char Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker is all about giving you exactly what you need, in a tough refrigerator style outer body. It provides you with a meat thermometer, removable racks, a large wood chip box and automatic shut off and keep warm settings.
In my opinion it is worth going for the deluxe model. I like to be able to keep a physical eye on how my cook is going and the glass window provides just that. I would recommend this smoker (especially the deluxe model) for anyone out there who likes hassle free cooking and doesn’t want to break the bank.
Smoke Hollow 30162E – Pick for Best Budget Electric Smoker
If you really want to maximize your budget, the Smoke Hollow 30″ is the best budget electric smoker on the market.
You get 3 cooking racks with enough space to feed a large family, a basic temperature gauge with 3 different temperature settings and a large wood chip tray. This smoker won’t win any awards for being the most innovative, however you won’t be disappointed with the results you can get with this unit.
This smoker is perfect for someone who is new to smoking and isn’t quite sure if its something they want to pursue long term. In the price range of $100 you really can’t go wrong with this smoker.
Not everyone has the disposable income to splash out on a smoker. I know we all dream of buying the latest and greatest unit with all the bells & whistles.. but unfortunately our bank accounts doesn’t quite understand.
Never fear! The Smoke Hollow 30162E is a smoker that understand your struggles.
This smoker is a basic electric smoker that fits into nearly everyone’s budget. Its not the most high tech smoker on the planet, but it does produce quality tasting food in an affordable price range.
Specifications of the Smoke Hollow
Height: 30 inches
Width: 14 inches
Depth: 16 inches
Weight: 48 lbs
Square Inches of Cooking Space: 730
1500 Watt Heating Element
Key Features of the Smoke Hollow 30 Inch
- Door Latch: The door of this smoker model has been built with the magnetic latching system with which automatically secures your door, similar to the door of your fridge. This ensures that you get a tight seal keeping in as much heat and smoke as possible. This helps to ensure you have a consistent cooking environment.
- Side Handles: Two conveniently places handles on either side of the smoker allow you to easily transport it around our backyard or anywhere else you may need it. The unit doesn’t have wheels but its easily maneuverable for one or two people.
- Insulated Double Steel Walls: The 30162E maintains internal temperatures really well, it doesn’t matter if it is freezing outside or the middle of summer, this is thanks to the double walled stainless steel and the insulation. Providing you do not open the door throughout the cook a consistent temperature will be maintained throughout the whole cook. I was also really surprised at how quickly the unit came to temperature.
- Great Temperature Range: You can choose between three different temperature levels. This allows you to quickly smoke on a high temperature or low and slow for days depending on your meat selection.
- Heating Element: Easily replace the heating element when they eventually wear out. this feature is a really handy feature to have for troubleshooting issues and makes for a quick fix as you do not need to take the unit apart.
What We Liked
- The size of the Smoke Hollow allows it to be transportable at 16 by 14 by 30 inches.
- We found that the cooking space was big enough to cook for 10 -15 people.
- It was quick and extremely easy to assemble everything. We managed to have it ready to go in about 15 minutes.
- The Smoke Hollow heats up quickly, when we put the wood chip tray on the same side as the electric element we managed to get the chips smoking very quick.
- Solid construction and holds heat well due it’s quality insulation
What We Didn’t Like
- The size of the water pan was a bit small. We found that the water from the water pan was evaporating quickly, so we replaced this with a bigger one, which worked perfectly afterwards
- No digital control panel.
- A noticeable discrepancy was noticed in the temperature range up to +/- 5 degrees
- Basic Temperature gauge
It will not cost you an arm or a leg and provides a good smoking experience. Not to mention it produces a lovely smoky flavour. It is an extremely basic unit to set up right out of the box, so it is perfect for first timers. I would recommend this smokers for anyone who doesn’t quite have the money to go all out on a smoker.
Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital 40 Inch
Our Pick For: Best Bluetooth Smoker
Electric smoker are perfect for people who want to set and forget their smoking.This model not only allows you to cook for a crowd, you can control the whole cook via your phone! Just connect your Bluetooth, set your temperature and sit back and relax and monitor the internal temperature from the app.
The capacity is definitely the other main feature of this smoker. Available in both 30 inch and 40 inch models, go for the 40″ if you like cookouts with family and friends.
It is fully insulated so no smoke or heat will get out, this gives you a nice even cook and a consistent cooking environment. The unit even has heavy duty wheels so it is easy to move around the backyard..
You already know that I am a massive fan of Masterbuilt and they high quality construction, and this smoker is no exception.
It’s got some unique, new and useful features never seen before on Masterbuilt electric smokers. The bluetooth, blue LED display for easy viewing (even in direct sunlight), an internal light with viewing door for monitoring what’s going on inside and an incredibly smooth automatic wood chip tray.
It’s fully insulated, comes with 4 removable chrome-coated racks, built-in radio frequency (RF) remote control, built-in meat probe that works very accurately (means you always know the internal meat temperature without opening the door).
This smoker exceeds all expectations and then some.
Height: 40 inches
Width: 20 inches
Depth: 25 inches
Weight: 73 lbs
Cooking Area: 975 square inches
Construction: Stainless Steel
1500 Watt Heating Element
- Push Start: You can’t beat a push to start button. Often you will find that these are not as ‘one time push to start’ as one may think. However, the guys at Masterbuilt really have mastered this feature. As far as I have tested this bad boy starts up first time, every time.
- Build Quality: In classic Masterbuilt style this unit is made with quality materials and genuine craftsmanship. It is a very sturdy unit with a strong construction. It is fully insulated and leak free. This means that you won’t get any smoke or heat escaping. This helps create a consistent and near perfect smoking environment. Another bonus is that since it is a consistent internal temperature you can really get your cooking times down to the second every time. No more guests will be waiting around hungry again.
- Fully insulated: This electric smoker is perfect for all outdoor conditions. It doesn’t matter if you are smoking when it is snowing or if it is 100 degrees out, you will get the same results every time.
- Grease Tray: At the back of the unit you will find a grease tray. This catches all the access drippings from your cook. This makes cleaning the unit incredibly easy as most of the grease has already been removed. Simply wipe out any access and dispose of the grease from inside the grease tray.
- Meat Probe: This is my favorite part of this smoker. It comes standard with a meat probe. This allows you to keep a constant check on the internal temperature of your meat without having to opening door. This helps keep a constant temperature and cooking environment inside the smoker.
- Latch: On the front of the smoker you will find a latch that allows the smoker to be very securely shut. This is great peace of mind to have knowing that no heat or smoke has any chance to escape out the front. Especially if you have lots of people or animals in the vicinity of the smoker while its cooking.
- Air Vent: At the top of the unit there is an adjustable vent. This allows you to easily control how much smoke is inside of the unit at any one time.
- Digital Control Panel: The digital control panel is well lit and very easy to use. Each button is clearly labelled and very user friendly.
- Remote Control: The remote control is pure genius. It has a range of up to 100 feet and allows you to control everything from the temperature, cooking time, checking the internal temperature and even making adjustments to your cook. This is great for when you are entertaining or watching the game, you can very easily make any changes you need to from right there in your hand.
- Ease of Use: This smoker comes pretty much ready to go out of the box. Within a half hour you will be ready to cook! Thanks to the assembly and included instructions.
- Drip Pan & Water Bowl: One of the things I love most about this smoker is the water and drip pan systems. Masterbuilt has designed this unit with convenience in mind. The pan is easily accessed from the front door of the smoker, this is incredibly easy to take out to clean after you have finished your cook.
What We Liked
- The built-in meat thermometer ensures you get accurate information regarding the internal temperature inside the meat, it eliminates you ever getting under cooked or overcooked meat.
- Powerful heating element for this price point
- A large amount of cooking space of 975 square inches, well decorated with 4 moveable racks.
- Fully insulated, minimal or no temperature or smoke loss to ensure perfect smoking.
- The unit comes with heavy duty wheels so it’s easy to move around.
We We Didn’t Like
- Towards the end of the cook, the moisture from the the meat makes the door hard to see through.
- The controller is not waterproof.
- We have some trouble with the range of the Bluetooth
While the Bluetooth and app feature are a great idea, we did have some trouble with the range, it was only about 10 -15 feet.If you can keep your phone closer to the unit it works really well.
Other Great Smokers
Meco Southern Country Smokers 2 in 1 – Our Pick for Best Water Smoker
We found that the Meco Southern County Smoker is one of the best electric water smokers. Its chimney-like design allows the smoke to flow within the unit evenly and efficiently. It delivers a thorough smoky flavor with a small amount of effort.
This is an easy to use, transportable water smoker that get its mention in this best smoker of 2021 list because of its great value for money.
Height: 37 inches
Width: 21 inches
Depth: 25 inches
Weight: 23 lbs
1500 Watt Heating Element
Construction: Stainless Steel
Cooking Area: 351 square inches
- Oversized Vents: Two oversized hood vents allow for easy temperature control.
- Chrome Plated Grills: The chrome plated grills are very sturdy and easily cleaned.
- Heat Resistant Side Handles: Heat resistant handles are safe to touch throughout the cook. Perfect for moving throughout the cook.
- Temperature Gauge: The temperature gauge is very easily read and well placed.
- Large Access: The large front door access makes it easy to add wood chips, water or more food!
- Legs: The reinforced stainless steel legs are extremely sturdy and provide a solid platform no matter what surface you have it on. Great for camping and taking on day trips.
What We Liked
- The entire bottom section is removable so you can use it as a grill.
- The external thermostats and settings are perfectly calibrated, the first thing we did was fire it up and throw in a thermometer
- We found this smoker to be very portable. It weighs only 23 pounds, and it has two side handles on the sides to allow easy transportation.
- The Southern County Smoker has 351 square inches of cooking space which is more than enough space to cook for 10-15 people.
What We Didn’t Like
- The only concern we had with this smoker is that it uses more power than other electric smokers however based on performance this smoker provides a very high-quality BBQ and cooking experience.
- No digital control panel
Whether you’re a professional or beginner, the Meco Southern County Smoker will be suited to you. If you haven’t used a smoker before this one is a good starting point. We noted that is it simple to use, and you can turn into a portable grill really quickly. Considering the quality and top of the line capabilities, the price is quite reasonable. I would say this is my pick for the best water electric smoker.
Cookshack SM009-2 Smokette
The Cookshack Smokette allows you to have an easy authentic cookout without the hassle.
If you prefer the smokers which are less complex to operate then this is perfect for you.
Essentially, this a smaller version of what a commercial kitchen uses. So what they are using at your favorite smokehouse will be very similar to this. However you will have control over the temperature, smoke quantity, and timing.
Height: 32 inches
Width: 20.5 inches
Depth: 18 inches
Weight: 93 lbs
Construction: Stainless Steel
Cooking Area: 588 square inches
- Digital Smoker: Easy to use and control digital controller. No matter what the temperature is outside it will maintain a constant temperature.
- LED Display: The bright LED display is super easy to read and understand.
- 3 Adjustable cooking racks
- Probe Included: The commercial quality meat probe is very reliable and when it reaches your preset temperature automatically switches to its 140 degree hold cycle.
- Insulation: The Spin-glass insulation gives an amazing 850 degrees of heat retention.
- Built in meat thermometer
- Large cooking area, perfect for cookouts
What We Like
- Has the ability to both hot and cold smoke. Perfect for smoking salmon.
- The door creates a very tight seal. This is important because it prevents smoke and heat loss and allows the smoker to keep a constant cooking temperature.
- Powerful and easily replaceable 800 watt heating element
- Easy of use – perfect for a novice smoker
- Compact enough to take away into the woods for the weekend in the back of the pickup or camper.
What We Didn’t like
- No timer setting. This is not such a big deal if you use a digital thermometer though.
The Old Smokey
The Old Smokey Electric Smoker is a simple and effective design. Essentially it is a round can with a heating element, a drip pan and several racks for the food to sit on.
The ease of the design is what makes this one of the best electric smokers for the money. The heating element in this unit can produce enough heat to do some high-temperature roasting and grilling however it mainly designed to smoke low and slow.
Height: 29 inches
Width: 17.5 inches
Depth: 17.5 inches
Weight: 23 lbs
Cooking Area: 200 square inches
- No Water Required: The tightly sealing lid keeps in all the juices so you don’t need any additional water.
- The Side Handles: The padded, fireproof and heat resistant handles keep cool no matter how long you are cooking for.
- Large Cooking Space: Although the 15″ diameter seems small the Old Smokey has a lot of cooking space and even boasts several additional racks to keep all foods separate.
- Wood Chip Tray: The wood chip tray seals very tightly so you don’t havr any smoke or heat loss.
What We Liked
- Durable to be left outside in all the elements, we had one that left outside on the porch during freezing winters and scorching summers and lasted over 10 years.
- The unit seals very tightly to ensure the unit performs optimally.
- It has a powerful heating element that can reach levels of 165 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fantastically priced for the quality of materials.
What We Didn’t Like
- The only problems we encountered with the Old Smokey was that it is difficult to see the heating element “on” indicator in the sunlight.
Old Smokey has been manufacturing smokers since the early 1930’s and has been one of the most popular brands on the market. They have been producing some of the best electric smoker accessories since day one. This electric version has been rigorously tested and has proven to be highly durable and easy to use time and time again.
The simple design makes it easy to use and lets you produce great barbecue without much fuel, space or effort with a price point that is just over $100 USD this is one of the least expensive smokers on the market.
The Top Electric Smoker Brands
Find out a little more about some of the top companies you will be purchasing from.
Known for making affordable and popular gas grills Char-Broil have moved into the smoker scene in the last decdade. Char-Broil originally manufactured their grills in the USA however they are now owned by W.C Bradley and produced in China.
Masterbuilt have been around for 45 years and manufacture a variety of different types of grills including pellet, charcoal and gas.
There are a prominent figure in the electric smoker industry. Most of the grills are manufactured in China, however Masterbuilt are known to produce a high quality product at a low price point. With the rate they bring out new model you can pick up a good deal on older ones.
3. Bradley Smoker
Bradley Tech produce the Bradley Smokers range. They are a Canadian company they produces high quality electric smokers as well as their own brand of pellets.
What To Look For When Purchasing An Electric Smoker
The relatively low price of electric smokers does not mean that you will be taking a hit in quality. But, like anything in life, you have to be conscious of what you are buying. When it comes to buying grills and smokes, I will admit, it sometimes gets hard to tell the difference between competing products.
That is why you have to have an idea of what you want before going looking. knowledge is power.
So when you are in the market for the best electric smoker for you (or any unit really), keep these features in mind:
- Temperature Control
Ensure that the smokers have temperature control that you feel comfortable with. You find that the best electric smokers on the market should come with the temperature control features rheostat.
If you are seriously looking to buy an electric smoker then this feature is a must! A rheostat usually comes in the form of a digital control or a knob, it lets you control the internal temperature of the smoker. When also recommend picking one on wheels if it heavy. This will ensure you get maximum value out of it, as it will always be convenient to pull out rather than a pain.
- Ventilation System
High-quality caveats are an important part of your electric smoker. This is the ventilation system which allows the inner chamber to release smoke and heat. It is vital to maintaining a stable internal temperature. Subsequently, you will be left with a tender and more succulent products.
- Can You Add Wood Chips or Charcoal?
When you’re buying your electric smoker you want to ensure that it has a tray or compartment that allows you to burn coal or wood chips as well. It might seem unusual but having the option to use wood chips or charcoal can help you get a more traditional and more smokey BBQ flavour.
- Layer Structure and Size: You will hear the word layer structure got tossed around when browsing. This refers to the shape of the smoker and setup of the grill racks. The two most common types are vertical and horizontal. You will also find some smokers have chrome-plated racks while other have stainless stain racks while the shape of your smoker can have little affect however what is important is to think about the shape of the meat you plan to cook. If you plan on smoking long racks of ribs or huge slabs of pork ribs you might want to look at a horizontal smoker.
- Ease of Cleaning
An important factor in picking the right smoker is seeing how easy it is too clean and maintains. If cleaning your smoker is effortless it will more than likely get more usage and last longer. Make sure you look for removable cooking grates and grease cup or tray.
- Ease of Use
Ensure that the smokers have temperature control that you feel comfortable with. The digital control panel placement is important so that you can reach it without difficulty. It a great idea to choose one with wheels, it will ensure you get maximum value, as it will always be convenient to use not a hard task.
Look for a unit with double-walled insulation, high-grade powder-coated metal, and a seal-tight, this helps regulate temperatures and holds the precious heat and smoke
Look for heavy-duty construction that is enhanced by the rust-resistant stainless steel
How to Use an Electric Smoker
Below we have outlined the basic premise of using an electric smoker. Keep in mind each electric smoker is different and you need to have a thorough read of your manufacturer’s instruction before using it.
- Getting Your Electric Smoker Smoking
Electric smokers are pretty simple by design. Whether it’s a vertical or cabinet electric smokers, the process involves heat produced by a convection heating element which smoulders wood chips and produces hot smoke.
- Adding Smoke to Your Electric Smoker Using Wood Chips
Most electric smokers will have an easy access port or tray in you can add your wood chips even when the smoker is hot.Add your favorite wood chips you to get the flavor you are after.
- Keeping Your Meat Moist While In The Electric Smoker
Most smokers come with a water pan or water tray so you can maintain moisture in your electric smokers. As your smoker begins to heat up, the water will turn to steam, which will keep your meat from drying out.
Pros and Cons of Buying an Electric Smoker
Electric Smoker Pros
- Easy to Use: One of the best electric smoker traits is they are incredibly easy to master. You just fire it up, load in your wood chips, set your temperature and you’re good to go. You can leave the smoker unattended produce delicious high quality smoked meat.
- Safety: Electric smokers are recognized as being safer than your regular smokers. You aren’t creating a fire to smoke your meat. If you have pets or children electric smokers may be a great choice for you.
- Low Cost: Using an electric smoker eliminate the need to purchase wood or charcoal, the cost of buying this fuel can add up. Electric smokers don’t use a lot of power, therefore, reducing your cost to operate.
- Easy to Maintain: Electric smokers are a breeze to clean, as long as you keep your electric smoker out of the element. Simply wipe down the exterior and interior after each use.
- Convenience: Indoor electric smokers are becoming more common in this category. Therefore you can rest ensure that in the darkness and freezing temperature of winter you have the ability to smoke meat.
- The control panel, remote control and Bluetooth technology found standard in most electric smokers will allow you to control the smoker from your anywhere in your house.It also gives you the opportunity smoke food without hovering outside all day.
- The more well-known methods for smoking is with charcoal or pellet smokers. However these types of smokers do produce harmful emissions like carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. However, electric smokers can produce the same delicious food and without the CO & CO2 emissions.
- Finally, it will also alert you when your food has reached your desired temperature. All the electric smoker requires you to do is put in the meat, add the wood chips (if you please), set the temperature and cook time and you’re ready to go. Whether you are looking to smoke ribs, fish, chicken, vegetables, turkey, salmon, steak or even dessert, electric smokers can do it all.
Electric Smoker Cons
- Traditional: Some people believe that building the fire and tending to it, is all part of the process. However, an electric smoker provides an alternative if you don’t want to spend all day outside.
- Lower Temperature: Electric smokers don’t quite reach the very high temperatures of other smokers. Its might mean waiting a little bit longer for your meal to finish.
Looking After Your Unit
After the time and effort dedicated to researching and picking the best electric smoker for your needs, you want to ensure you take care it of it. Below are our top tips to caring for your smoker.
- Preheat Your Smoker Before Use
To increase the lifespan of your smoker you should be preheating it. If you place your food in the smoker without warming it up, you find that the thermostat will recognize that the internal temperate has not met what has been set and then it will take much longer for the smoker to reach the desired temperature, which in turn makes the smoker work that much harder.
- Clean Your Smoker Regularly
Keeping your electric smoker thoroughly clean has many benefits. Cleaning and drying the components of the smoker after each use will ensure that the smoker is functioning efficiently and will help reduce rust. It will also guarantee that your BBQ come be free of old, leftover or carbonised food. We have dropped our best electric smoker cleaning tips below. If the unit has any viewing windows, we suggest cleaning the glass after each and every use.
- Scrub and wipe the interior of the smoker cabinet with heavy duty cleaner or bleach. Note ensure you check with your manufacturer instructions before using any chemicals.
- If your electric smoker comes with a meat probe to check internal temperature, this will need to be cleaned after each use. This is especially important as it will be in contact with raw meat.
- Ensure they are no leftover wood chips in the tray from previous smoking sessions.
- Using detergent and a cloth wipe out the drip tray after each use, this can eliminate the risk of flare-ups.
- Remove and scrub the grill racks. Most of the best electric smokers have dish-washable grill racks. If you cant put these in the dishwasher, scrub them to ensure you remove any remnants.
Why You Might Consider One
- You Are Thinking About Upgrading: If you find that more often than not your meat and vegetables end up looking charred and black it time for an upgrade.It will be a relief when you can plug your electric smoker in toss in the meat, set your temperature and let it go. You can head off and play with the kids or get a start on mowing the lawn without fear of another ruined dinner.
- You Don’t Have Much Space: Electric smokers are perfect for those who haven’t got much storage space. Most smokers come with the need for extras such as bags of wood pellets or charcoal. All you need for fuel is the power cord and you are good to go. It could be tough storing gas, charcoal or pellets in an apartment. In this case, an electric smoker can be the best choice for you.
- You Don’t Have A Big Budget: We have found that the cheaper prices for electric smoker don’t sacrifice quality. We have also seen that electric smokers are comparatively cheap to higher-end grills and units on the market.
- You Want an Easy to Use ‘Cook it all Unit’: The large interior allows you to get stuck into cooking any type of meat, whole turkeys, racks of ribs or beef briskets.
What is an Indoor Electric Meat Smoker?
Now when I say ‘indoor meat smoking’, I don’t mean bringing your electric smoker inside on a cold winter’s day. Not only will you quickly turn everything in your home into a smelling shrine to your food (may not be such a bad thing), but it’s actually very dangerous.
When I am talking about an indoor meat smoker I am talking about smoking on the stove top or in an indoor electric smoker.
Using an indoor electric smoker is a great option for those who are only cooking for one or two, and really don’t have the space for a normal sized unit. You will find that they look very similar to a slow cooker and actually work very similarly to. When using an indoor electric smoker it is very important to run our extractor fan to limit the smoke that is left in the house.
Wrapping It Up
Overall our number 1 choice for the best electric smoker would be the Masterbuilt due it’s large front viewing window, immense cooking area, built in meat thermometer and probes well as a host of other great features it has. I would also highly recommend the Masterbuilt along with Char Broil.
So, go forth and enjoy the delicious food you will soon be creating. I just hope this helps you on your journey to creating outstanding, mouth-water BBQ.