A Traeger Grill is great because you have complete control over the temperature.
This means you get the correct cooking temperature for anything you want to cook
But like any machine, they can go wrong from time to time.
Does your Traeger Pellet Grill have a high temp error?
I will help you understand and troubleshoot the issues.
So you lose that excess heat.
And get back to grilling as it should be!
Table of contents
What Issues Occur at a High Internal Temperature
A Traeger Pellet Smoker can reach up to 400°F.
The versatile temp settings allow you to control the cooking process.
Rarely it will go above 400°F so the issue is maintaining consistent temperatures.
If you get an increased ambient temp it can be very dangerous.
Cooking at the correct temp is important because;
– You may burn your food and make it inedible.
– Risk food of poisoning from cooking the outside but having raw meat on the inside.
– Temperature rises cause fire hazards from wood pellets.
– Damage to the internal components of your Traeger Pellet Grill.
Is Your Traeger Temp Too High? – The Common Causes
Why has this happened?
From hot weather to a faulty temperature probe…
An Improper Startup
There are many different models and types of Traeger Grills.
Some of which will have a different start-up process.
If done incorrectly this can cause temperature spikes.
WiFIRE Traeger Grill
– Make sure the grill lid is closed.
– Turn it on.
– Set your desired temperature for the cooking chamber.
– It should take 15 minutes for it to reach the right temperature.
– Check against the app and Traeger controller screen.
AC Traeger Grill
Older AC models will either need a closed-lid or open-lid start-up.
To check your model go to the below official Traeger support page.
CLOSED-LID STARTUP PROCESS
– Turn it on.
– Turn the temperature dial to the desired temperature.
– After about 2 minutes, whiteish-gray smoke should come out of the chimney.
– The grill should reach the desired temperature within 15 minutes.
– The current temperature will display on the controller as it preheats.
– Wait at least 10 minutes before placing food on the grill.
OPEN-LID STARTUP PROCESS
– If the grill requires an open-lid start-up, follow these steps
– Plug in and turn on your grill.
– With the lid open, set your Traeger grill to the SMOKE setting and hear the fan running.
– Wait 5 minutes for the fire to ignite and establish.
-You will hear a difference in the fan once the flame gets rolling.
– Wait for an additional 5-10 minutes, keeping the lid open.
– Close the lid.
– Set the temperature to the desired temperature.
– Allow the grill to preheat for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
App Out Of Date
Traeger has a range of pellet grills that are WiFIRE Enabled.
This means you can remote control the grill temperature via an app.
Set the temperature remotely?
Make sure you are connected and the app is up to date.
Troubleshooting The App
There are updates and newer released versions of the Traeger App.
So the older versions may get incompatible with any connected devices.
– Go to the Account Name tab at the top in the Traeger App.
– Compare your current app version with the version on the app store.
– If it is out-of-date you can select the current version in the store, which will update automatically.
Dirty Or Faulty RTD Probe
The RTD probe measures temperature.
Monitoring and communicating the internal temp to the temperature controller.
This could be damaged, dirty or have a loose connection.
Troubleshooting A Faulty Probe
– Check there is no visible damage to the RTD sensor which is located
– Look for bends, cracks, or chips.
– No damage? You will need to test the ambient temperature.
– Make note of your temperature reading and compare it to another temp probe.
– Are they drastically different on the grill? You may need to do one of the following;
– A new sensor may need to be ordered and replaced as per instructions.
How An Error Code Can Indicate A Heat Issue
Have an HEr error code on the control panel screen?
This occurs if your Traeger gets dangerously hot.
Or precisely if it goes over 550°F.
This will happen if too much fuel has ignited.
If this happens it can start a serious fire.
– Watch out for white smoke and active flames.
– Turn your Treager off at the power.
– Call emergency services if there is an active fire you can’t control.
Maintaining Your Traeger To Avoid Temp Spikes & Fires
Examples of this would be regular inspection and cleaning after use.
Like preventing grease buildup or looking for unburnt pellets.
Make sure you follow the below to avoid any build-up or pellet flow disruption.
– Changing the drip tray liners.
– Checking the auger shaft or auger motor for jammed pellets.
– Brushing down the hopper to remove dust.
Other Common High-Temperature Issues & Fixes
There are a few last common issues for your Treager getting too hot.
Hot Weather Conditions
The summer months will affect the temperature of your Traeger Pellet Grill.
It shouldn’t get too hot but can increase the temperature up to 30°F.
– Move your grill to a shaded area.
– Cook before the sun goes up or later in the day.
– Change your P-setting button to help with ambient temperature changes.
Opening The Lid During The Cooking Process
The Traeger is designed to insulate and hold heat.
If your grill is running too hot then open the lid for 5 minutes.
This will allow cooler air to enter the cooking chamber.
Which will help lower the temperature.
The Optimum Temperature Range
The standard temperature range is 20°F above or below your set temperature.
Remember to use separate probes for a temperature baseline.
Because the probes could be damaged.
Author: Charlie Reeves
Hi, I’m Charlie, I am head taste tester at Simply Meat Smoking! I love it grilling, smoking, and getting out in the yard with the kids! The family also love to test all my recipes (especially my EXTRA CRISPY pulled pork, smoky pork loin, and ANY SEAFOOD I grill)
You will usually find me playing with the kids, perfecting my brisket bark, or sipping beers with boys around the fire. Can’t wait to share all my delicious smoking and grilling adventures with you!
You can read more on our About Us page.
Hungry For More?