Mac and cheese is a classic. We all love it, that oozy gooey cheese mixed with delicious pasta is irresistible.
There are dozens of variations on it, some people add jalapenos, bacon, and even pepperoni! Everyone has a special twist on the recipe!
Well, Pitmaster William has the best variation we have ever seen, SMOKED MAC AND CHEESE!
It is the best mac and cheese you will ever try, it has 4 types of smoked cheese as well as bacon fat! Find out how he does it!
What You’ll Need for Smoked Mac and Cheese
- Mustard powder
- Cream cheese
- Smoked cheddar cheese
- Smoked Gouda,
- Smoked Parmesan
Step 1. Prep Your Macaroni
You prep the noodles to almost halfway done. Put about half a cup of water from the noodles aside and strain them.
Step 2: Combine Flour and Cheese
Combine flour, butter, mustard powder, cream cheese in a saucepan. Heat and stir, in the cream cheese. Then slowly add in all the smoked cheddar. Then once that is melted add in the Gouda and parmesan and mix until all melted and combined
Step 3: Fry off Your Bacon
Fry off the bacon and keep the bacon fat. Once cooled diced the bacon
Step 4: Combine Mac and Cheese
Then put water (you can use milk here if you prefer) and half-cooked noodles into a cast-iron skillet. Add the content from the saucepan to the noodles. Add in the bacon and pour the bacon fat over the top
Step 5: Place The Mac and Cheese in the Smoker
Add in smake sure your smoker is set to 225°F. Place skillet inside for about 45 mins to 1 hour.
Smoked Mac and Cheese
- 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp mustard powder
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups smoked cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cup smoked Gouda
- 1.5 cup smoked Parmesan
- 1 box macaroni noodles
- You prep the noodles to almost half way done. Put about half a cup of water from the noodles aside and strain them.
- Combine flour, butter, mustard powder, cream cheese in a saucepan. Heat and stir,in the cream cheese. Then slowly add in all the smoked cheddar. Then once that is melted added in the Gouda and parmesan slowly into the mix until all melted and combined
- Fry off the bacon and keep the bacon fat. Once cooled diced the bacon
- Then put water and half cooked noodles into a cast iron skillet. Add the content from the saucepan to the noodles. Add in the bacon and pour the bacon fat over the top
- Add in smake sure your smoker is set to 225°F. Place skillet inside for about 45 mins to 1 hour.
Love Smoked Cheese?
Not only can you smoke mac and cheese you can smoke a block of your favorite cheddar, parmesan, Roquefort, come. if you wondering does smoked cheese need to be refrigerated, the answer is yes. It can also be frozen but its best to vacuum seal for that
Some Welcome Additions
You don’t just have to add different varieties of cheese to this. We love adding in jalapenos, bacon, leftover tri-tip, green onions, roasted tomatoes, and even mushrooms.
Williams smoked mac and cheese is a family favorite. It is also the first thing to run out at a cookout. Both adults and kids go wild for it! If you love cheese you can also try this smoked cream cheese its a perfect appetizer for a cookout.
Author: Charlie Reeves
Hi, I’m Charlie, I am head taste tester at Simply Meat Smoking! I love it grilling, smoking, and getting out in the yard with the kids! The family also love to test all my recipes (especially my EXTRA CRISPY pulled pork, smoky pork loin, and ANY SEAFOOD I grill)
You will usually find me playing with the kids, perfecting my brisket bark, or sipping beers with boys around the fire. Can’t wait to share all my delicious smoking and grilling adventures with you!
You can read more on our About Us page.
Hungry For More?