It happens to the best of us. We get suckered into buying the latest and greatest technology. Do we really need all of it?
In the case of the iGrill 2, this is definitely not the case. I have found it to be one of the best Bluetooth meat thermometers!
For those of us who have a smartphone, this is a Bluetooth thermometer that connects straight to your IOS or Android device, using a free app.
Now I know some of you are thinking, this will be a complicated process, however, the iGrill 2 from Weber is dead easy to use! Weber recently acquired the app from a company called iDevices and have done a total overhaul, to be honest they have done an amazing job
The iGrill 2 has some really great features, and we have highlighted them below
Table of contents
Weber iGrill 2 Bluetooth Thermometer Overview
- Dimensions: 2.2″H x 3.2″W x 2.2″D
- Range: 150 ft
- Battery Life: 200 hours
- Probes: The standard package Includes 2 probes. However, the unit can handle up to 4. You can buy additional probes from Amazon.
- Temperature Range: -22°F – 572°F
- Free IOS and Android App: The free app form Weber is a breeze to use. It is laid out very well and all the different options are straightforward. You can even rename each individual probe so you will never confuse what you are taking a reading of.
- Preset Meat Settings and Customization: The app comes standard with lots of preset meat temperature settings. Including poultry, beef, pork, fish, lamb and more gamey meats. The unit also has preset settings for rare, medium rare, medium, medium well and well done.
You can customize your own alarms for different times, temperatures and doneness levels for each probe. To be honest it was actually a lot of fun playing around with all the different settings and seeing what this amazing thermometer is capable of.
- Battery Life: The Weber iGrill 2 has a decent battery life of around 200 hours, this is pretty good considering it is constantly sending and receiving Bluetooth signal. My biggest problem here was that my phone would be the one that needs charging throughout longer cooks. Decent battery life is crucial when you find out how long to smoke a 10 pound pork loin!
- Magnetic Mounting: One of the really handy features is the magnetic mounting disc that is used to mount the base unit. Don’t worry if you have no metal on your grill, or bbq the kit also comes with a circular magnet with a sticky adhesive on one side so you can stick it anywhere!
- The LED Display: The base unit has a brightly lit LED display. You can change between Fahrenheit or Celsius and shows your timer function. This is a great feature for overnight cooks where you don’t need your phone to be connected constantly, or the cooker is out of range.
- Quad Probe Support: The iGrill 2 comes with 2 temperature probes, however, the unit supports up to 4. This is great for those who are simultaneously cooking different meats or like to have at least one ambient probe going at a time.
The app lets you check each probe individually, rename each probe and set each probe to a different temperature or meat setting. Perfect when you have guests that all like their meat cooked to different temperatures. Additional probes can be purchased from Amazon and to be honest, I think they are good to have around.
- Doubles As A Standalone Thermometer: For those times when you don’t necessarily need a Bluetooth thermometer (or if you are like me and your phone goes flat), it can be used as a stand-alone. The display has a large and easy to read LED display. Perfect for those cooks in winter that go into the evening on the weekends.
- Warranty and Support: The unit comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty which is always good when it comes to these accessories that are a little more technical than the traditional. The Weber site is also a wealth of information for this (and other) accessories. Weber also has a really outstanding customer services team, so any issues give them a call they are always happy to lend a hand.
Android: Most Android devices running Android 4.4 or higher with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.
Apple: iOS 9 or higher is necessary and on the following devices only:
• iPhone 4S or later
• iPad 3rd generation or later
• iPad mini
• iPod touch 6th generation or later
Please note: Some smart devices are not compatible with the Weber iGrill App, including: iPhone 4, iPad 1st or 2nd generation, Huawei phones.
Pros and Cons
- The ability to have up to 4 probes going simultaneously. This handy when tou need to probe the brisket for doness as well as measure the tenmperature of the grill or smoker.
- Free IOS and Android App.
- The extremely wide temperature range.
- Very well designed and easy to use app.
- The temprature readings are accurate to 1 degree in my testing.
- The customisability of the app.
iGrill 3 Cons
- The Bluetooth range is limited to 150 feet, which is around half the distance of most other similar thermometers.
Wrapping It Up
I think user friendliness of the app is something that Weber should be proud of.
All the different preset and customizable settings are easy to use and extremely handy. Even for those of us who might not the be most technical minded people. For the ones who are very technical the Weber iGrill has more settings, reports, and stats that you can play around with and even export to your computer.
Heck, you can even share your cooks on Facebook with the app so you can show off your perfectly cooked brisket with the world!
I would recommend this thermometer to the more tech-savvy pit masters out there, however, for those of you who would like to dabble in the technology that is sure to become the norm in the coming years you could not go wrong with starting here!
Overall Rating: 4.6 / 5
Hungry For More?