I hadn’t tried smoked turkey legs until summer 2017. Since then I have given chicken legs the flick!
Smoked turkey legs hold heaps more flavour and always come out real juicy (sometimes chicken tastes like I’m chewing on a hairbrush).
It could be the delicious brine that my wife created. I think that’s what makes them so tender, moist and full of succulent flavor. Not mention these bad boys are also much healthier for the heart!
How Long To Smoke Turkey Legs?
You need to smoke turkey legs for 4 – 5 hours. This seem like a long time, however it what gives you that crispy brown skin! The beautiful smell of the smoking turkey legs will be sure to get the neighbours around in no time.
To get high-quality turkey levels I recommend you buy meat online. I have found that supermarkets and butchers sometimes sell turkey legs that come out a bit chewy!
“Be sure to always brine with cool liquid. Its always a good idea to add in ice cubes to your pot to help with the cooling process and so the liquid penetrates the turkey legs better.”
How to Cook Smoked Turkey Legs
Smoking turkey legs is simple (as long as you follow the steps below). The main thing that you need to remember is that smoking meat is all about temperature and timing. This recipe takes between 4 and 5 hours. It might seem like a long time, but you need to trust me on this one!
If your guests are late arriving I would suggest getting a faux cambro for your turkey legs. What is a cambro, you might asking yourself??
Well it is essentially an cooler, that acts as a thermo to ensure your legs are cooked to perfection without being cold or overcooked (because no one likes a chewy leg!)
It is imperative to let your meat rest for at least 20 minutes once it has finished up in the smoker.The meats juices will have time to rest and you will enjoy a juicer, more tender smoked turkey leg.
Smoked Turkey Legs in An Electric Smoker?
After a simple meal to please everyone?
Sometimes on a lazy Saturday I throw the switch on my electric smoker, brine my legs and throw them in! I get started on some weekend chores, then around 2-3 pm the smoked turkey legs are good to go!
Smoked Turkey Legs Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 gallon water
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 turkey legs
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- Aside from the turkey legs, in a large pan combine all your brine ingredients. Bring to a boil and let sit to come to room temperature. Once at room temperature add your turkey legs and place in the refrigerator to cool for 4 – 6 hours.
- Preheat your smoker to 240°F following your manufacturer’s instructions. After the brine is well cooled remove from the refrigerator and pat dry with a paper towel. In a large bowl combine all the dry rub ingredients and mix well. Coat each turkey leg thoroughly all over with the rub.
- lace your turkey legs into your preheated smoker. I like to use pecan wood for this recipe, however, feel free to use your favourite turkey wood.
- Smoke at 225 – 240°F for 4 – 6 hours until the turkey legs have reached an internal temperature of 165°F. You are also looking for a nice golden crust on the outside of the turkey.
Wrapping It Up
Smoking turkey legs is as simple as that!
Turkey legs are a great healthier alternative to chicken and taste absolutely delicious. I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as me and my family.
Do you have a variation or any tips for this recipe? Or other smoked turkey leg recipes? I would love to hear from you!