Shrimp cocktails are always a good go to starter or appetizer to please a crowd. I mean who doesn’t like shrimp right? and as an added bonus they are a minimal effort dish.
But what if I told you I have an easy way to turn your standard shrimp cocktail into an appetizer your friends and family would have never had before?This smoked shrimp cocktail recipe has been a crowd pleaser around my table for years, it is a recipe that comes out every summer, and often turns into a main course when we have bulk shrimp.
I like to make this recipe with quite a lot of heat, so if you (or your guests) don’t like too much spice I would recommend that you half the amount of chipotle in this recipe.
Smoked Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- Coarse salt & cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined shrimp around 20 shrimp
- 1 - 2 or 3 teaspoons minced chipotle chile with juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed if possible
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro and/or parsley fresh
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
Cocktail Sauce Ingredients
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup homemade or your favorite store bought
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice fresh if possible
- 2 chipotle chiles chopped
- 3 Tablespoons diced onion
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 6 Tablespoons orange juice freshly squeezed if possible
- In a large mixing bowl mix together cilantro, garlic, minced chipotle (with chipotle juices) and shrimp. Once well combined, mix in the lime juice and olive oil and let marinade for 30 minutes.
- While your shrimp is marinating you can put your cocktail sauce together. In another mixing bowl whisk together all of the cocktail sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust the acidity or saltiness to taste with more lime juice or salt. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Once your shrimp have marinaded thread 2 - 3 shrimp on each skewer. If you are using wood skewers make sure they have been soaked in water before using, this will stop the skewers from burning on the grill.
- Preheat your smoker to 250°F as per your smokers manufacturers instructions.
- Place the skewers in your smokers and smoke until the shrimp have a golden bronze color on the outside and are no longer transparent on the inside. This should take around 30 minutes. Throughout the cook baste with melted butter to keep them moist and tasty!
- Divide the cocktail sauce into your favorite martini glass or glass and arrange your skewers for serving. Finish with a sprinkling of cilantro and/or parsley and serve right away.