There is no better way to use leftover brisket than in a pie!
The juicy and succulent brisket with the crispy and flaky pastry is a match made in heaven.
This is my mom’s recipe that has been making for years and has finally allowed me to share it!
The brisket is bathed in a juicy gravy full of butter, mushrooms, and plenty of garlic! Then topped with her homemade puff pastry.
See my instructions below with photos so you know EXACTLY what you’re doing!
Close your eyes and just imagine juicy brisket covered in crispy and butter pastry….. UGH!!! It’s delicious!!!
Table of contents
What You’ll Need for This Brisket Pie;
Grab your leftover smoked brisket and chop into 2-3 cm pieces. If you dont have brisket try on of these alternatives. We have been asked our thougths for choice vs prime brisket. As it just a filling, we would reccomend using choice brisket.
You will need at least 500 grams of button mushrooms.
Pick up a stick of butter, you need a lot for this recipe.
homemade or fresh works well
How Long Do It Take to Bake a Brisket Pie?
You need to bake your brisket pie for at least 30 minutes or until golden brown. You also need to factor in whether your using leftover brisket or smoking one from scratch.
I have my steps below if you need to smoke a brisket before you make your pie.
How Easy is It Smoke a Brisket?
Smoking a brisket is easy if you follow the right directions!
Mom has smoked brisket in the past for this recipe. She just follows my instructions for smoking a brisket. She nails it every time!
It usually takes her 12 hours and she says that it is worth every minute for the flavor you get!
However, on this occasion, it was a last-minute request and she only had time to braise the brisket in the oven.
How Long Does It Take to Smoke a Brisket?
- It will take around 1 hour and 30 minutes per pound (lb), of brisket at around 225°F – degrees.
Wait until the internal temperature gets to 203°F degrees. Then give it a poke with a probe, its move in and out easily and woobles like jelly, its ready to pull.
- Ensure you give it a good rub.
It is critical for the bark! Give the whole brisket a rub with your pick of seasonings, this is our favorite brisket rub recipe
- To slice your brisket, you need to separate the point from the flat.
Then you want to slice across the grain, just remember in the flat and the point, the grain runs in different directions
If you’re using an electric smoker to smoke your brisket, these are steps to follow;
- Preheat the smoker and place your pan under the trays you plan to use
- Fill your smoker box with your preferred wood chips
- Once up to temperature [places your brisket in the smoker and insert the thermometer probe.
- You might notice the temperature stalls at 160°F if this happens. You can either wrap your brisket or turn up the temperature of your smoker
- Once you reach 203°F give the brisket a poke with the probe, if you move in and out easily and have a good jiggle to it, you’re all done. remove your brisket and place it in a cooler a rest. You want the temperature to come down to around 170°F.
Using a charcoal or gas grill to smoke?
- This a little more complex so follow my direction smoking on a charcoal grill here and smoking on a gas grill here.
Only have a kettle grill?
- Everyone has a kettle grill and it super simple to smoke your brisket on it, just follow the directions to setting up your charcoal snake.
My Brisket Pie Recipe
You’ll never be able to eat a frozen pie after trying my mom’s EPIC brisket pie recipe!
Step 1: How to Braise Your Brisket
To braise your beef, preheat your oven to 150°C. Then brown your brisket put it aside and fry off your vegetables.
Using Leftover Brisket?
Make sure you check if the brisket is still ok to eat. You can see how long brisket lasts here
Step 2: Add Your Liquids and Cook
Then put your brisket back in the crockpot with the vegetables and add your stock, wine, vinegar, herbs, and garlic, and cook for 2 ½ hours. Once cooked remove from the oven, drain (set aside this liquid), and cover your brisket.
Step 3: Chop Your Brisket
Once cooled cut your brisket into 2cm -3cm pieces.
Step 4: Cook Off Your Mushrooms
Cook your mushrooms and garlic with butter and add the flour. Cook until it’s nut brown.
Step 5: Make Your Gravy for The Brisket Pie
Once browned, add the leftover liquid from the brisket, and the chopped brisket, parsley, and mustard to the mushroom mixture.
Step 6: Make Your Puff Pastry Lids
If you’re using frozen puff pastry, get it out of the freezer to defrost. If you’re using fresh puff pastry, roll it out and cut 6 rounds of pastry. Fill your pie dishes and cover with the pie lids
Step 7: Brush with Egg Wash and Bake!
Brush with an egg wash and pierce the top. And place in the oven for 30 minutes
Step 8: Enjoy Your Brisket Pie
Give them at least 30 minutes or until golden brown. See some of your ideas for sides for brisket pie below. Serve with the side of your choice and enjoy!
Brisket Pot Pie Recipe
Beef Brisket Pie
- Pie Dishes
- 1 Stick butter
- 500 gm large mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 100 gm plain flour
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 cups parsley coarsely chopped
- 2 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk whisked
Braised Beef Brisket
- 1 piece of beef brisket
- 2 carrots sliced in rounds
- 2 onions diced
- 2.5 cups beef stock
- 300 ml red wine
- 120 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- To braise your beef, preheat your oven to 150°C. Brown your meat (2-4 minutes). Remove and caramelized your vegetables. Add then add the brisket back to the crockpot along with your stock, wine, vinegar, herbs, and garlic. Cover with butchers paper or baking paper. and cook for 2 ½ half hours. Once cooked remove from the oven, drain (set aside this liquid), and cover your brisket.
- Once cooled cut your brisket it into 2cm -3cm cubes.
- Cook your mushrooms and garlic with butter and add the flour and mustard slowly add in your cooking liquid from the brisket Cook until the mixture is light brown.
- Once browned, add the leftover liquid from the brisket, and some parsley to the mushroom mixture.
- If you're using frozen puff pastry, get it out of the freezer to defrost. If you're using fresh puff pastry, roll it out and cut 4 rounds of pastry.
- Turn your oven up to 250°F
- Fill your pie dishes and cover with the pie lids you cut out
- Brush with an egg wash and pierce the top. And place in the oven.
- Give them at least 30 minutes or until golden brown.
What To Do With Your Leftover Brisket
Got extra leftover brisket?
What Are The Best Sides for a Brisket Pie?
Glad, you asked! There are no better sides to a pie than mashed potato! But my mom takes sit to another level.
She uses sweet potato and wasabi!
It might sound like an odd combination, but give it a try.
Just make sure you follow this instruction below and add more than butter than you’d like to admit.
Boil your sweet potato until tender.
Mash and add 4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tsp of wasabi and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
If you feel like getting really spicy, you could also try this recipe with jalapenos, Country Cleaver does a great version of it!
Want a carb-friendly side?
Try serving up the pie with some Texas beans. Add some smoky bacon to your beans, if you want to ramp up the flavor!
I hope you enjoy my mom’s friendly favorite brisket pie! Let me know what side you have with it!
Author: Charlie Reeves
Hi, I’m Charlie, I am head taste tester at Simply Meat Smoking! I love it grilling, smoking, and getting out in the yard with the kids! The family also love to test all my recipes (especially my EXTRA CRISPY pulled pork, smoky pork loin, and ANY SEAFOOD I grill)
You will usually find me playing with the kids, perfecting my brisket bark, or sipping beers with boys around the fire. Can’t wait to share all my delicious smoking and grilling adventures with you!
You can read more on our About Us page.
Hungry For More?