Buying a grill or a smoker can be confusing at best. There are loads of different styles, types, fuel sources and brands out there.
So, what do you do?
Do you go for the most expensive one? The cheapest one? The one that has the most bells and whistles?
Or do you go for the brand that looks the coolest? Or has the best marketing? Its a hard choice.
In this article I will take a close look at Smoke Hollow and my favourite 5 units of theirs to help you make a decision on what Smoke Hollow Grill unit would suit your needs best.
|Best For||Model||Product Link|
|For Grilling On The Go||205|
|The Backyard Smokers||38202G 38 inch|
|The Tailgaters Dream||Vector 3|
|Value For Money Steal||38202G 30 inch|
|The Grillers Choice||LS2418-4|
What Products Do Smoke Hollow Grills Make?
Smoke Hollow grill range is huge. They have lots of BBQ, grills and smokers to suit every budget and cooking style out there:
Some of the units in the Smoke Hollow line up are:
- Cabinet Smokers: Cabinet smokers go by several different names, most commonly smoke vaults, vertical smokers or cabinet smokers. They are a fairly basic design with anywhere between 2 and 5 racks and hanging hooks. Cabinet smokers usually have 1 or two main doors at the front of the unit. The main door is to access the cooking meat and the smaller secondary door is where you access the water tray, drip tray and the heat source. Cabinet smokers are usually powered by gas or electricity.
- Gas Grills: Gas grills are the most common out of all the different barbecue and smoker units out there. The range from small single burners all the way up to multiple 6 burners.Gas Grills can be fuelled by propane tanks or natural gas from your house supply. Gas grills typically have a warming rack and 2 different grill surfaces to cook on.
- Pellet Smoker Grills: Pellet smoker grills are one of the most versatile styles of cooker out there. They are part smoker, part grill. This allows you to get tremendous flavour, tenderness and char into everything you cook without using multiple units. Pellet smokers get their name from the small wood pellets that fuel the smoker.
- Charcoal Grills: In my opinion cooking with charcoal is the most authentic way out there. Its simple, easy and relatively inexpensive. Charcoal grills use charcoal as their main heat source and provide a base for fantastic flavours. Charcoal can maintain a high temperature for long periods of time making them great for low and slow cooking.
- Portable Grills: Portable grills are a fantastic option for those of you out there who love tailgating, camping, fishing or for those who just simply don’t have space for a larger unit. Portable grills are usually fuelled by smaller propane tanks, however electric and charcoal units are also on the market.
- Electric Smokers: Electric smokers do not require any gas, charcoal or other fuel. Electric smokers use electricity to generate heat to burn your choose of wood chips or chunks. Because they don’t use any other fuel, they are a good option for those of you who don’t have a large outdoor area.Electric smokers are often the vertical/cabinet style and are a great option for low and slow style cookers.
What Materials Do Smoke Hollow Use?
The materials used in the construction of your smoker grill plays a big role in several different aspects of your unit. What materials used in construction will play a role in the price of the unit, weight of the unit, longevity of the unit, the functionality and last but not least the price of the unit.
Some materials are more solid than others, some materials retain heat better than others and some won’t rust as easily as others. Generally speaking, Smoke Hollow use quality materials that will last.
Some of the materials used in Smoke Hollow units include:
- Chrome Coated Steel
- Cast Iron
- Porcelain Coated Cast Iron
- Stainless Steel
What To Look For in a Smoke Hollow Grill
When shopping for a new unit you need to think about what features you need. These days you can get tonnes of different features, accessories and bells & whistles.
Some things to keep in mind when buying your unit include:
- Fuel Type: Choosing the right fuel type to suit your cooking style and needs is very important. Each different fuel type has its own pros and cons.
- Price: Before setting out to buy a new unit have an idea of how much you want to spend. You can find something to suit your own specific needs at any budget. You can get fantastic little smokers for under $100, perfect for smaller families of those who are not quite sure if smoking is for them.
- Safety Features: Being safe around your unit is imperative. Before you dive into buying a unit think about your specific situation. Do you need additional safety features or accessories to make sure you are grilling safely. Think gloves, tongs, fire extinguishers, and gear for any little ones you might have in your family.
- Cooking Space: The cooking space you are going to need is another essential to know. If you only have a small family and don’t often cook for a lot of people getting a big unit with enough space to cook multiple racks of ribs and a whole turkey won’t be very necessary. Getting a unit that suits your size requirements will also stop you from spending money unnecessarily.
- BTU Output: The BTU output of your unit will let you know how much heat and power the unit is capable of producing. If you are planning on using your unit for only cooking low and slow you will not require a high BTU rating, however, if you are planning on using your unit for searing, charing and even cooking pizzas, you will want to purchase a unit that has a higher BTU rating.
- Cooking Accessories: Everyone loves accessories, accessories let us add a personal touch to our units. You can get side tables, hooks, racks, thermometers and other cooking aids. Just like price, before you set up to buy your unit make sure you have an idea of what you are going to really and and find helpful.
- Warranty: Smoke Hollow grills and smokers (and parts) come with a 1-year limited warranty.
Smoke Hollow also offer a guarantee that there will be no broken or damaged parts at the time of purchase.
For more details check out the Smoke Hollow warranty.
The Top 5 Smoke Hollow Smoker Grills
The Smoke Hollow 205 Review
The Best Grill From Smoke Hollow For Adventurers, Explorers and Outdoorsmen
Contrary to popular belief, cheap grills don’t always have to mean bad quality, and this Smoke Hollow Grill is a perfect example of that.
The Smoke Hollow 205 might be a simple grill, but it is a simple grill that is made with quality materials and quality craftsmanship.. and at the end of the day, that is what counts right?
It is a basic and lightweight unit that is the perfect option for those who like to take their grilling on the move with them.
The solid stainless lid can be locked down and the unit can be carried just like a briefcase, this makes it incredibly simple to take on a hike, to the beach or to quickly set up on the tailgate.
For a grill that can be carried easily, it has a surprising amount of cooking space and you can comfortably cook 6 – 8 burgers at one time.
Check out below why the 205 is one of my favorite Smoke Hollow Grills.
Smoke Hollow 205 Specifications
- Weight: 19 Lbs
- Dimensions: 32 X 19 X 33.5 Square Inches
- Warming Rack Space: 100 Square inches
- Primary Cooking Space: 205 square inches
- Total Cooking Space: 305 square inches
- Fuel Type: 1 X 16 Ounce Disposable Propane Tank
- Burners: 1 X Stainless Steel Burners
- BTU Output: 10,000
- Wheels: No
- Max Temperature: Over 500 Degrees Fahrenheit
Key Features of the 205
- Stainless Steel Construction: By far the best feature of this grill is the construction. It is constructed almost entirely from stainless steel. You won’t get any warping lids, walls or any rust with this unit. For a unit, at this price point, it is very solid. It also features a double walled lid, which helps lock and maintain temperatures slightly over 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Portability: Coming in at slightly under 20 pounds the Smoke Hollow 205 is very portable. It is a great unit to keep tucked away in the RV, trailer or pickup. It has two solid lid locks which won’t pop open mid-trip and the legs fold away. With the legs tucked away and the lid secure, you can basically carry it as a briefcase. The only issue I found was the ignition and gas attachment do stick out a fair bit form the main body which can end up taking up a bit more space than is ideal.
- Generous Cooking Area: For such a cheap, portable unit the Smoke Hollow 205 has a generous amount of cooking space. The primary cooking space of 205 inches is enough to cook for about 8 people. The additional 100 inches of cooking space comes from the chrome plated warming rack. I found the warming rack actually works really well because it is placed right over the backside of the ‘U-burner’. Perfect for cooking vegetables and warming those pre-made camping meals.
- Easy Assembly: Assembly of the 205 couldn’t be easier, everything you need is included in the box expect the Phillips head screwdriver needed. Grab yourself A beer and in 20 minutes you will be done attaching the ignition unit, handle, and regulator.
Is the 205 Easy to Setup?
The initial setup of the Smoke Hollow 205 is quick and easy. The only tool you will need is a Phillips head screwdriver.
Since this is a fairly basic unit, there are not many parts that you need to put together. Grab yourself a beer you are done in 20 minutes.
Essentially you just need to attach the regulator, handle and ignitor assembly to the main grill body. This is easy enough to do for both total beginners or grill masters.
Is the 205 Easy to Use?
It is a very basic unit that is built to use on the go. So as you would expect the unit itself is very easy to cook with.
The Piezoelectric push-button ignition seems to work well, although to start with you might have to adjust the wire at the back of the ignition to get it to start. This is no major but something to be aware of.
Setting the disposable propane cylinder can be done in seconds and is very straightforward.
Cooking on the grill itself is as easy as can be. The grill comes up to the max temperature within about 5 minutes which is fantastic.
One thing I did notice is that the shape of the ‘U burner’ causes the outer edge of the grill grates to be hotter than the center. This is something to be aware of when you have a full grill, as some pieces of meat will cook/ burn faster than others.
Smoke Hollow 205 Durability
When it comes to durability the Smoke Hollow 205 is king. The solid stainless steel construction gives this unit all the durability you could ever need.
This makes it a great choice for those of you who are often out and about camping, at the beach or just need a unit that you don’t have to worry about in the back of the trailer, RV or pick-up.
205 Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning the Smoke Hollow 205 couldn’t be easier, and this is something that I absolutely love about this grill.
When you are grilling out in nature the last thing that you want is a unit that is difficult and time-consuming to clean.
The grill grates and flavorizer bars seem to come clean enough with a quality grill brush. I have not encountered super stubborn baked on scum, however, the usual baking soda method would work a charm on these.
Thanks to the stainless steel construction both the interior and exterior of the unit are easy to clean. A bucket of warm soapy water and a decent cleaning cloth is all you should need. You can use a scraper for the more baked on scum, however, do remember it is stainless so you may damage it.
One thing that you must keep in mind is because of the units stainless steel construction it can take a fair while to cool down – Do not try to clean this unit when it is still hot, you will get burnt.
Cleaning the drip tray is also very easy. You will find this at the bottom of the grill on the left-hand side. It does a fairly decent job of catching all the drippings, grease and other scum from your cooking session. I found that if you dispose of the scum as soon as the grill is cool enough, you should just be able to wipe the tray clean with warm soapy water.
Smoke Hollow Warranty Details
The Smoke Hollow 205 (and parts) comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
Smoke Hollow also offer a guarantee that there will be no broken or damaged parts at the time of purchase. For more details check out the Smoke Hollow Grill warranty.
Personally, I have never had to deal with Smoke Hollow under warranty conditions. However, I have heard from others that they are quick and hassle-free.
Do You Get Value For Money With the 205?
For a grill that is well under the $200 mark, you are getting a good deal.
This unit that is made for transporting & setting up anywhere. What’s more is that is it built out of solid materials so it won’t get destroyed in the back of your pick up, tucked away on the RV or trailer.
Having the added bonus of a lid that locks securely in place and legs that safely fold away makes for a worthwhile purchase that I would be happy to pay upwards of $200 for it.
205 Pros and Cons
- Decent heat output
- Convenient size for transporting
- Straightforward assembly
- Constructed with durable stainless stain
- Heavy and secure lid
- When cooking outdoors strong wind can affect the heat output
- The center of the grill doesn’t get as hot as the edges
My Rating of The Smoke Hollow 205
If you are often out in the wilderness and need a grill that can be easily stored, transported and set up the Smoke Hollow 205 is or you.
It might lack fancy bells & whistles, but let’s be honest when you are cooking in the woods, at the beach or on the back of your truck do you really need anything more than what the 205 has to offer? Personally, I don’t think so.
If you are after a grill that is not going to break the bank but will consistently cook great tasting food without a fuss, the 205 is a perfect choice.
This grill would have got a perfect 5/5 if it was not for the minor issues of the ‘U-burner’ causing an inconsistent grill grate temperature and the overall temperature fluctuation a lot when the grill was exposed to moderate winds.
Final Rating: 4.8 / 5 Stars
The Smoke Hollow 38202G 38 Inch
The Best All Round Smoker For The Avid Backyard Smoker
Trying to find a smoker that has enough space to cook for your planned guests isn’t something that you should have to stress about. Same goes for worrying about the price tag when you have made your selection and you are buying it.
The Smoke Hollow 38202G is a vertical style smoker that has a large total cooking space of 3.4 cubic feet, this will easily take care of all your cooking needs without having to carefully plan or pre cook food.
I know what you are thinking, when buying a big grill you are going to get a big price tag too, however Smoke Hollow have really outdone themselves with the 38202G.
It is a relatively low – mid priced smoker that doesn’t skimp on essential features or the quality of materials used.
A 20,000 BTU burner combined with solid steel construction and welding ensures that you can constantly hold your cooking temperature without having to come back time and time again to check it. This makes it a great unit for low and slow cooks and ensures that you are doing what you do best – entertaining your guests.
The only thing you need to make sure of is that the water pan is full, it is a tad on the small side.
Specifications of The 38202G
- Type of Smoker: Vertical Propane Smoker
- Weight: 62 Lbs
- Dimensions: 27W X 18.5D X 47H Inches
- Cooking Racks: 4 Adjustable Cooking Rack Capable Of Holding 25 Pounds Each
- Total Cooking Space: 3.4 Cubic Feet
- Fuel Type: LPG
Key Features of The 38202G 38 Inch
- Cooking Space: One of the great features of the 38202G is the amount of space you get, it measures 27w x 18.5d x 47h and gives you a whopping 3.4 cubic feet of space for cooking. that is plenty enough space to cook several racks of ribs, dozens of sausages/burgers, multiple salmon fillets and even multiple whole chickens.
- Adjustable Cooking Grates: Alongside the large cooking space the smoke hollow 38202G comes with 4 main cooking racks. These are all very easy to clean and come chrome plated, they are also removable. If you prefer you can remove the top trays and use the meat hooks to hang things like sausage, ribs or fish. It is a really versatile smoker with lots of room for every type of food you want to cook.
- Temperature Control: Smoke Hollow have made controlling the temperature very easy in the 38202G. This is thanks to the two manually adjustable vents, one at the top and one at the bottom. This allows you to control both the temperature of the smoker and the actual amount of smoke.
- Separate Chambers: The smoker has two main chambers. The cooking chamber and the chamber which houses the porcelain-coated wood chip & water pan and burner. This separation allows you to add more wood chips or liquid to the water pan without letting any heat or smoke escape from the cooking chamber.
Setting Up The 38202G
Setting up the Smoke Hollow 38202G can be a little time consuming, however, the instructions on the user manual are very easy to follow. You will only need a phillips head screwdriver, a pair of pliers and around 3 beers.
Is The 38202G 38 Inch Easy to Use?
The Smoke Hollow 38202G is an extremely easy smoker to use. Even if you are new to smoking you will be able to pick this up after the first couple of uses.
The two adjustable vents allow you to control the internal temperature of the cooking chamber and allow more or less smoke, dependingg on what you are cooking you may want a smokier flavour than other items.
If you require different amounts of cooking space on each rack it is as simple as pulling out the racks and adjusting them as you need them.
How Durable is The 38202G?
Overall the Smoke Hollow 38202G is a fairly solid and durable unit. It does wobble a bit when you bump it, however its not going to fall apart on you. This is mainly because of the smaller legs, the unit itself is solid.
The unit is mainly constructed from welded steel and will handle you general, everyday knocks and bumps that are common around your yard.
Cleaning and Maintenance of the 38202G
As far as cleaning goes the 38202G is as easy to clean as any other vertical style smoker. If you clean down your smoker after every use it will be easier to keep clean. After each cook once the smoker has cooled a little scrape of any build up on the side walls, base and shelves. Once scraped give a good wash over with warm soapy & water.
After that simply open the drain and rinse with clean fresh water. If you stay on top of this job it won’t ever be a big mission. The best cleaning hack for any smoker is a line your drip pan, water pan and wood chip trays with foil, that way you can just throw away the foil after use. You can also use a disposable foil pan in place of your standard one.
Do You Get Value For Money With the 38202G 28 Inch
Coming in at just under $200 the Smoke Hollow 38202G is by no means the most expensive smoker in their line up.
Even though it is a low – mid price range smoker you still get a quality welded steel main unit, porcelain coated water/drip pans, two separate compartments and great smoke and temperature control.
This is a great value for money smoker and one that won’t let you down year after year.
Pros and Cons of The 38202G
- Easy access to wood and water trays
- Very easy to set up
- Two different options for wood sources
- Reaches and retains temperatures well
- The standard water pan is small
- In windy conditions it struggles to keep lit
My Final Thoughts on the Smoke Hollow 38202G 38 Inch
Overall the Smoke Hollow 38202G 38 inch is a good unit that should be in every backyard smokers line up. It has enough room to smoke everything from multiple racks of ribs, pork butts to row after row of sausage and cheeses. Genuinely a good unit.
Using the smoker is very easy, however, one thing that you do need to be mindful of though is strong wind. In my experience (and experience of others according to Amazon reviews) the flame can go out if it is exposed to strong winds. Smoke Hollow do advise to use this unit (and others) facing downwind to avoid this issue. Or just find somewhere in your backyard that is not exposed and you have an easy fix.
After the initial setup there is minimal maintenance aside from keeping the smoker clean, which if you are new to smoking you can learn very fast as vertical smokers are generally a very easy unit to keep clean.
I would recommend this smoker those who like cooking a wide range of foods in bulk but don’t want to pay through the roof for it.
The bottom line is: The 38202G is a fantastic entry level – professional smoker at an affordable price.
Final Rating: 4.6 / 5 Stars
The Smoke Hollow Vector 3
The Best Table Top Grill For For The Home or Camper
The Vector by Smoke Hollow Grills is all about versatility. It is one of the only table top style grills that also doubles as a smoker! This so good news for you guys out there who do not have a tonne of room for a vertical or barrel smoker but still need to get your fix of smoked food!
The Vector 3 burner comes with three burners in total, two 6,5000 BTU main burners and one 3,500 BTU burner for the smoke tray. That is plenty of heat to maintain temperatures ranging from just below 175-degree Fahrenheit for low and slow cooking all the way up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab yourself a pizza stone and you can even cook a pizza on here!
For a grill that has so much versatility, it is relatively cheap, coming in at just slightly under $200. For that price, you get lots of features such as folding side tables, foldaway legs, and even a locking lid.
Specifications of The Vector 3
- Type of Grill: Table Top
- Dimensions: 18 x 22 x 28 Inches
- Total Cooking Space: 367 Square Inches
- Fuel Type: 1 X 20 Lb Propane Tank
- Burners: 2 X 6,500 BTU Stainless Steel Vector Burners 1 X 3,500 BTU Smoke Tray Burner
- Temperature Range: 175 – 600 Degree Fahrenheit
- Wheels: No
Key Features of The Vector 3
- Versatility: With the Smoke Hollow Vector 3 Burner versatility is the key feature for me. The two 6,500 BTU burners allow you to cook everything from chicken wings to pizza without any hassle. As well as being a tabletop grill you can very easily turn it into a smoker using the wood chip tray ad 3,500 BTU burner. Although it doesn’t have enough room to smoke multiple cuts of meat it is the perfect size to cook for you and your closest pals. The 3,500 BTU burner gives you plenty of cooking power to cook low and slow ribs, burgers or up two whole chickens.
- Folding Side Tables: Having a smoker grill that has its own folding side tables is something that I love. Especially when cooking away from home. The Vector 3 has a folding side table on each side, and to be honest with you they are surprisingly sturdy. Perfect for storing unused cooking utensils or making the finishing touches to your sauces and sides.
- Easy Storage: Even though Vector 3 is slightly bigger and heavier than the above 205 it can be easily stored. It has foldable legs, side trays, and a lockable lid so you can slip it away into the shed, in the RV or the back of the pickup without too much trouble. Unlike the Smoke Hollow 205, the Vector 3 burner doesn’t have any extras that stick out so it makes it easier to stack in with camping equipment.
- Heavy Duty Lid: The hood on the Vector 3 is double layered and is great at holding in heat. This helps maintain a consistent cooking environment which is very important, especially when smoking. You also get two lid locking latches which are great for ensuring no heat or smoke escapes during cooking and for easy transportation. The lid is also where the temperature gauge is placed.
Vector 3 Setup
The set up can take a little while. I am by no means a professional, but it took me well over an hour to get everything set up. By my count, you are going to need at least 4 beers for this.
On the bright side, the user manual is fairly straightforward and easy to follow and all you need to set it up is a Phillips head screwdriver.
Ease of Use of The Vector 3
Overall it is an easy little unit to use. All 3 of the burners seem to start every time thanks to the push to start ignition.
When it comes to cooking, the 2 burners produce an even heat throughout the grill. This is thanks to the geometrical “V” shape design. When using the unit as a smoker it produces a nice amount of smoke and holds a consistent temperature when measured with my iGrill thermometer.
All and all it is a nice and simple unit that cooks everything from smoked chicken breast to a pizza without any trouble.
Cleaning and Maintenance of The Vector 3
The porcelain coated cooking grates are a breeze to clean, while they are still warm you can get nearly all of the leftovers off with hot soapy water and a rag.
The drip tray is easily accessible and seems to catch most of the mess, even when cooking fattier cuts of meat or ribs covered in sauce!
Durability of The Smoke Hollow Vector 3
On a whole the unit is solid. It has a heavy duty lid and even though it is heavy the 3 legged design saves a little bit of weight so overall it is not to heavy to transport.
The porcelain-coated wire cooking grids and porcelain-coated wood chips trays are well made and feel as though they will stand the test of time. The stainless steel burners are well constructed and you don’t get any movement out of them when transporting.
Vector 3 Value For Money
Again this unit comes in at just under $200. In my opinion for a grill that doubles as a smoker, you can’t go wrong at this price point.
When smoking it produces a nice deep smoke flavor and keeps a consistent temperature.
Whether you are buying this as a secondary unit for the backyard or as your main cooker it the RV you are getting great value for money in my eyes.
Pros and Cons of The Vector 3
Vector 3 Pros
- 2-in-1 smoker grill
- Lots of cooking space
- Large temperature range
- Quality heavy duty construction
- Produces an even heat source
Vector 3 Cons
- A little time consuming to set up
- Requires a 20 lb propane tank
My Rating and Final Thoughts on The Smoke Hollow Vector 3
If you are looking for a unit that is transportable, fairly cheap and versatile the Smoke Hollow Vector 3 burner is a great choice.
Coming in at just under $200 it offers everything you need from a harry handle, temperature gauge, multiple cooking options and fold away side tables.
It is a smoker grill that I feel is designed for those who don’t have a whole lot of space in the backyard or for those who need a decent unit to take away camping or to store away in the RV.
Because of the awkward weight and the fact that you need a 20 lb tank to run it I would not recommend this for those who are planning on carrying it by hand a long distance.
The bottom line is that this unit is great for cooking a wide range of foods when you are in your home away from home.
Final Rating: 4.4 / 5 Stars
The Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch
The Little Brother of the 38 Inch – Perfect For A Smaller Family
The Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch propane smoker is the smaller, little brother to the above 30164G 38 Inch.
Essentially it is an excellent cheap to mid-range smoker that is perfect for those of you out there who don’t need a huge unit and can’t quite justify spending a lot of money on a smoker.
Specifications of The 30164G
- Weight: 35 Pounds
- Dimensions: 18 X 21 X 39.5 Inches
- Total Cooking Space: 504 Square Inches
- BTU Output: 10,000
- Fuel Type: Propane
- Temperature Range: 175 – 350 Degree Fahrenheit
Key Features of The Smoke Hollow 30164G
- Stainless Steel Tube Burner: The unit is blessed with a 10,000 BTU (British Thermal Units) stainless steel burner. This may not seem like the most powerful unit in this list, however, when you are cooking low and slow it is more than enough to maintain a fairly consistent temperature for a very long period of time.
- Chrome Plated Cooking Grids: One thing I really liked about this unit was the cooking grates, they are chrome plated which makes them easy to keep clean. All 3 are also removable, so you can adjust them as you please depending on what you are cooking. If you intend on smoking a lot of sausage or fish you can keep the racks nice and close together (with a little bit of DIY work you can also add in a few extra racks of your own), or if you are cooking bigger cuts like a Boston butt or turkey you can remove the racks to fit everything in nicely.
- Welded Main Cooking Chamber: The main cooking chamber of the unit is made from welded steel. Being made this way helps lock in smoke and heat. The unit seems to have no real issues with smoke or heat escaping. The only real issue I had with temperature control was using the unit in direct wind. However, with my experience with most smokers, this is the case. The best advice I can give is to use this (and other smokers) is to set it up somewhere at home out of the wind. This is not a big deal to me because I don’t want to be setting up and hanging out in the wind anyway.
- Push Button Ignition System: The piezo ignition system seems to start each time with one push and doesn’t seem to cause me or anyone else any trouble.
- Front Door: The front door is where the thermometer is located. When tested against my iGrill 2 stayed within 15 degrees throughout a 12 odd hour smoke. I am guessing that the wind might have played a role in this fluctuation too. However, this discrepancy doesn’t phase me too much though as I always use my own thermometers when cooking, even when cooking in my oven. The front door also has a Cool-touch spring wire door handle that has a very secure ‘Sure Lock’ locking mechanism. Again this helps keep the smoke and heat inside the unit. I have heard of some users having issues with unlocking it but in my experience, it all seems to work well.
- Ventilation: You get a top and bottom vent with the Smoke Hollow 30164G. This allows you to control both the temperature and smoke level inside the smoker. For those who are new to smoking, it can take a little while to figure this system out and get exactly what you are after.This is not a design flaw of this particular smoker but something that will become second nature after a little bit of trial and error.
Is the 30164G easy to Setup?
Putting the unit together can be a little time consuming for someone who has not set up a smoker before, however, with some methodical thinking and a couple of beers it can be done by anyone. The setup instructions are clear and easy to follow.
How Easy is The 30164G to Use?
Durability of the 30164G
As its big brother, overall the unit is durable.
The main unit itself is constructed of steel and seems solid. It has welded seams which adds to the overall sturdiness. It will easily live up to general, everyday knocks and bumps in the backyard.
I can see this unit being a part of your family for a long time.
Cleaning and Maintenance of The 30164G
When it comes to cleaning vertical smokers it is important to remember that the better you clean and maintain it, the better results you will get the easier it will be to clean next time.
I like to wrap the drip pan with foil, this helps when it comes to cleaning because all you need to do it take out the foil and give the actual pan itself a quite wipe down. Because the racks are coated they are very easy to clean too.
Depending on exactly what you were cooking all it usually takes to clean them is some soapy warm water and a cloth while they are still slightly warm.
30164G 30 Inch Value For Money
For a unit that is priced in the $100 – $150 mark, I would say that you get great value for money.
On a whole, the unit produces a quality smoky flavor and is built with decent craftsmanship. The few downsides that I found to the smoker definitely do not deter me from this unit.
From what I have read about different peoples experiences with replacement parts or general help with their units, everyone seems happy with their Smoke Hollow grill.
Pros and Cons of The 30164G
- Quality construction
- A good cheap ‘low & slow’ style cooker
- Large temperature range
- Smoke Hollow provide great customer service
- Holds a consistent temperature
- Produces a deep smoky flavor
- Can be affected by wind
- Temperature gauge fluctuates
My Rating and Final Thoughts of The Smoke Hollow 30164G
This 30 inch Smoke Hollow smoker does have a couple of minor downsides, however, they are easily fixable or problems that you can avoid with a little preparation.
For this reason, I would not hesitate to say that it is a smoker that should be in backyards all over the country.
It is at a price point that is affordable for every budget and a good option for those who are not quite sure if smoking will be something that you want to pursue more seriously.
If you are a veteran of the smoking world, this is a great unit to use as a second or third back up for when you have a bigger crowd or project in mind.
It has enough room to comfortably cook for the whole family without needing to do multiple cooks.
The bottom line is that the Smoke Hollow 38202G is a budget-friendly smoker that does not skimp on performance or flavor.
Final Rating: 4.2 / 5 Stars
The Smoke Hollow LS2418-4
Smoke Hollows Number 1 Gas Grill
When you think of a 4 burner gas grill I bet you start thinking of dollar signs. Fortunately, with the Smoke Hollow LS2418-4 it does not come with a hefty price tag.
Generally, you would think that this might mean that it is going to be a cheap unit that doesn’t perform. However, I can assure you that this is not the case for the Smoke Hollow LS2418-4.
It has a very sleek design and is backed up by 4 x 7,500BTU burners, 2 wheels, a side table, and heating rack.
In my opinion, everyone needs a grill in the backyard. Nothing beats getting out of the kitchen, grabbing a beer and cooking outside… It’s a fact that steak tastes better cooked on an outdoor grill.
The LS2418-4 won’t be winning any awards for the best grill in town or the grill with the most features, however, what it will do is cook for a regular sized family and deliver a good tasting result.
Specifications of The LS2418-4
- Type of Grill: 4 Burner Gas Grill
- Weight: 53 Pounds
- Dimensions: 24 X 18 Inch Cooking Barrel
- Total Cooking Space: 539 Square Inches
- Fuel Type: Propane
- Wheels: 2 x Large Heavy Duty Wheels
- BTU Output: 4 X 7,500 BTU Burners, 1 X 10,000 BTU Burner
Key Features of The LS2418-4
- Side Table: A side table is not normally a feature that you find on cheaper grills. Because this grill doesn’t have any shelves or storage it is a welcome feature. It is sturdy enough to hold full plates or store your utensils when not using them.
- 4 x 7,500 BTU Main Burners: The 4 main burners on the LS2418-4 have a total of 30,000 BTU, this is more than enough to get a good sear on your favorite steak or a nice crisp on your burgers. The burners are all individually controlled and start easily with the electric ignition system.
- 10,000 BTU Side Burner: On the Left hand side of the grill you will find an additional side burner. This side burner puts out 10,000 BTU and is fantastic for cooking sides, boiling and steaming.
- Cooking Surface and Warming Rack: The LS2418-4 features porcelain coated cooking grids, these seem to hold and distribute heat evenly throughout the entire grilling surface. This is thanks to the large stainless steel tube burners. The inclusion of a large warming rack is also a surprise for such a cheap grill.
How Easy is The LS2418-4 to Setup?
Setting up can take a little while. You will want to set aside a good couple of hours if you have never set up a grill before or at least an hour otherwise.
Having a buddy there with you and a couple of beers does seem to speed the process up though!
The instructions are easy to follow and to explain everything well, there is just a lot of small steps to follow.
Is The LS2418-4 Easy to Use?
Since the Smoke Hollow LS2418-4 doesn’t have too many fancy or technical features it is an incredibly simple grill to use. The electric ignition works well and it is very easy to get the grill started. All burners are controlled separately.
Because it is such a simple and easy to use grill I would highly recommend it for anyone starting out in the grilling adventure.
Durability of the Smoke Hollow LS2418-4
Overall this Smoke Hollow grill unit does feel a little on the flimsy side. It’s not going to fall apart on you but it does wobble a fair bit.
If you are using this unit out in the backyard near where the kids are playing do be aware.
Do You Get Value For Money With The LS2418-4
Considering the price of this grill I will say in confidence that you do get value for money. It is a very simple grill that does what it is designed to do very well.
If you have a slightly larger budget you could go for several other grills that have a few more handy features and a little bit more of a sturdy build, but for around $150 you really can’t go wrong in my eyes.
Pros and Cons of the The Smoke Hollow LS2418-4
- Spacious main grilling area
- Side table
- Warming rack
- Big wheels
- Decent burners
- The wheels have no locking mechanism
- No cabinet or storage space
My Rating and Final Thoughts on The Smoke Hollow LS2418-4
Although the Smoke Hollow LS2418-4 won’t be getting any awards for the most innovative, or technical grill it does what it is designed to do perfectly.
It has enough space to cook for a regular sized family and It does include all the features you need to cook a tasty barbecue.
I think this would make a perfect first grill for a small family who doesn’t have the biggest budget.
Final Rating: 4.1 / 5 Stars