The Best Pellet Smoker Grill of 2019
Sitting in the backyard with the whole family on a summer’s afternoon has got to be one of the greatest joys of life.
The smell of your favourite meat slowly seeping out from your pellet smoker, making all your neighbours jealous!! What could make that better?
Cooking on the best pellet smoker!
Pellet smokers excel at holding a low temperature for long periods of time. Perfect for that hunk of brisket that needs some low & slow TLC.
On the flip side, they are also incredible at holding a very high heat, and we all know what that means… getting that perfect steak! Pellet smokers have also gained a reputation to be very low maintenance and have acquired the nickname ‘the auto smoker’.
Think along the lines of ‘set and forget’. This is perfect for those of you who like to be both the backyard chef and also the entertainer.
The quality of pellet smoker grills vary from brand to brand & even model to model. However, generally, this is not reflected in the price!
What do you want the smoker for? Competitions or taking your backyard BBQ to the next level? This will ensure that you are getting the best value for your money and no flashy add-ons that you simply will not use, so let me help you!
The Green Mountain Daniel Boone Grill "The Best Pellet Smoker"
My Pick For The Overall Best Pellet Smoker
The Daniel Boone pellet smoker is more than just a pellet smoker. It is a versatile cooker that you can bbq, grill or smoke with. It has a huge temperature range that allows you to cook low & slow or sear your favorite steak. The wifi model allows you to control your entire cook from your smartphone, this is perfect for cooking in winter time, entertaining or for when you would just rather be watching the game. The Daniel Boone is a serious smoker for serious backyard cooks!
It’s not very often that you find something so good that you don’t care what the price is. For me, that something was the Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker.
However, I will start off by saying I disagree with its name. I think it is much more than just a pellet smoker. This unit very easily replaces several other units you might have at home. Even your pizza oven. This smoker is one of the most versatile units I have come across in a long time.
My second favorite part about this unit is the WIFI. If you are looking at this smoker and are not sure if you should go for the WIFI model or not, I will tell you right now the WIFI model is the only model in my eyes. Having the functionality of the app allows you to really set and forget. You can control everything to do with the smoker except refill the pellet hopper (maybe one day this will become a reality?).
This GMG Grills smoker is big and heavy thanks to the 12 gauge steel it is constructed out of, this stuff is solid and helps the smoker retain lots of heat. This allows the smoker to reach and also maintain incredibly hot temperatures.
If you are all about convenience and buying quality the Daniel Boone smoker is for you.
Camp Chef SmokePro SE Pellet Grill
My Pick For The Cheapest Pellet Smoker
The Camp Chef SmokePro SE gets its cheap price point from being an entry level smoker. It is still built with Camp Chefs famous quality and craftsmanship and is still backed up by their fantastic customer service but its just not jam-packed full of unnecessary features.
This is perfect for the smoker who doesn’t quite have the budget for a more expensive unit but wants to get something that will stand the test of time and still be around when they want to buy more add-ons down the track.
With the Camp Chef SmokePro SE, you get all the essential components that you need to smoke great tasting food at a price that is very affordable.
Yoder Smoker YS640 Pellet Grill
My Pick For The Best Pellet Smoker For The Home Entertainer
Cooking for a crowd of people can be stressful, even if they are your closest friends and family. The Yoder YS640 is made to feed lots of people without any hassle. Its a versatile grill that allows you to smoke, or bbq a huge range of foods. It has plenty room to fit in beer can chicken, multiple pork butts or briskets. Its a huge smoker that will not let your crowd down.
The last thing you want when you are cooking for a crowd is having an unreliable smoker that can’t stand up to how much you are cooking or what style you want to cook in.The Yoder smoker is an extremely versatile unit that has been constructed to withstand anything that you can throw at it (literally). It is constructed out of heavy gauge steel that is going to last. The smoker has a huge amount of room. 1070 sq inches fo cooking space including the second level cooking shelf. It also features around 12 inches of headroom so its a perfect unit to cook anything form beer can chicken to a whole turkey or two.
It also has one of the biggest pellet boxes at 20 lbs, so you can be assured you will not spend all afternoon refilling your pellets. instead you will be enjoying the company of your friends and family.Don’t mess around with smaller, cheaper units that are not going to embarrass you infant of your closest friends and family.
Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill
My Pick For The Best Quality Pellet Smoker
Being one of the first names in Pellet smoking you would expect Traeger to know a thing or two about pellet smoking, and they do. The Pro series 22 is a pellet smoker that has been constructed with the highest quality with only the features you need to produce great tasting food. This pellet smoker is for the serious backyard smoker who loves quality over anything else.
When you are the pioneer of something you have a responsibility to stay above your competition. Traeger have done exactly that with the Pro Series 22. This is a pellet smoker made with superb quality, and at the end of the day with a quality smoker you have a higher chance of creating quality food right?
The pro series 22 is not jam packed full of features, however, it does include the necessary features you need to create great food very easily. This is a smoker that has been thoroughly thought out in the design process. Everything from the sawhorse frame to teh dual thermometers seem to work perfectly.
This is a smoker for the true lovers of quality.
Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill
My Pick For The Best Value Pellet Smoker
When I say that this smoker is the best value for money, I should really be saying the smoker that everybody needs. Not only does the Smokepro LUX basically get a 5/5 for everything from the initial set up to taste it’s very very reasonably priced. I don’t use the word perfect very often but the Camp Chef Smokepro is worth using that magic word for.
You get a a very large unit for a small amount of money. The LUX model is basically an upscaled version of the SE with some of the additional features that you would like in your smoker.This unit is a large smoker, its suited to those who love cooking lots of food for lots of people without the hassle of needing to tend to the grill every half hour. The Smokepro LUX is a smoker for the savvy smoker who doesn’t want to miss out on must have features.
My Picks For The Top Pellet Smokers of 2019 - Comparison Table
You might have noticed that there are a lot of smoker and BBQ sites out there on the web. Each will claim to give you most accurate information and unbiased pellet smoker reviews. However, I have personally used all the pellet smokers I have recommended below and aim to give you a true to heart review.
I want to give you all the most informative and in-depth reviews from first- hand experience to ensure you are cooking and eating the highest quality BBQ grill.
|Charlies Award||Smoker Name||Dimensions||Cooking Space||Hopper Size||Product Link|
|Best Pellet Smoker||Green Mountain Daniel Boone||51 x 56 x 24 inches||458 sq inches||17 lbs|
|Cheapest Pellet Smoker||Camp Chef Smokepro SE||51 x 56 x 24 inches||429 sq inches||18 lbs|
|Biggest Pellet Smoker||Yoder YS340 Pellet Smoker||54 x 61 x 36 inches||640 sq inches||20 lbs|
|Highest Quality Pellet Smoker||Traeger 22 Pellet Smoker||49 x 41 x 27 inches||572 sq inches||18 lbs|
|Best Value Pellet Smoker||Camp Chef Smokepro LUX||51 x 21 x 45 inches||875 sq inches||18 lbs|
The Best Pellet Smoker Reviews of 2019 - Individual Reviews
Let’s take a closer look at each of these pellet smokers and break down exactly why I have chosen them to be in my top pellet smokers of 2019 list.
If you have any further thoughts on any of these pellet smokers or would like to let me know what you think the best wood pellet smoker is, I would love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Green Mountain Daniel Boone Pellet Grill
My Pick For The Overall Best Pellet Smoker
The Green Mountain (GMG Grills) Daniel Boone is a wood pellet smoker with a whopping 458 sq inches of cooking space. It has a peaked hood for getting those larger birds in or making a beer can chicken.
This is an incredibly versatile unit that can replace your existing bbq, grill and smoker. This is partly thanks to the temperature range. You can easily adjust and maintain temperatures between 150°F to 500°F. The temperature can be easily adjusted at 5- degree intervals thanks to the easy to use control system. The unit comes standard with a thermometer probe that you can place through the little hole in the side of the smoker – no more jamming the lid closed on your cord!
Where the Daniel Boone really shines is the WIFI. You can either buy the unit WIFI ready or not. I will tell you right now the only model you should be considering is the WIFI model This makes cooking incredibly easy.
Once you have mastered the app you will be smoking, searing and cooking on autopilot. The app allows you set up different meat profiles and within those profiles, you can create a setting for anything. You can set up the smoker to change temperature after a certain amount of time when the smoker gets to s certain temperature when the meat hits a certain temperature and so on. You can even program the app to turn the smoker off at a certain meat internal temperature and ‘keep warm’ until you are ready to eat.
The functionality of GMG Grills app allows you to do what you love best, entertaining, spending time with friends and family, watching the game or just tinkering around the backyard.
The Daniel Boone is a smoker/grill/bbq/cooker for those of you who enjoy when technology makes life easier, you will love this! The Daniel Boone is WIFI ready and has a really cool app to help you monitor and adjust your cook! Let’s take a closer look at the main features.
Key Features of the Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
- WIFI Enabled: Tech lovers will love the Daniel Boone’s WIFI technology. Easily connect your IOS or Android phone to the smoker through the free Green Mountain App. Once connected you can control & monitor your cook from up to 100 feet away! That is awesome for those of you who don’t want to miss any of the game or love spending time with the kids. I had the IOS app, it was very easy to use and laid out nicely.
- Durable: One thing you might notice about the Daniel Boone that it is quite sturdy. However, it comes with very strong hard rubber tires with locking brakes, making it very easy to move from the shed outside or vice versa. The heavy hood also adds to the strength of this smoker making it almost bulletproof.
- Shut Down: Want half of the cleaning work done for you? The ‘fan only’ with automatic shut off is another feature that I like on this model, it automatically blows out all of the ash from the firebox after you have finished cooking, basically you’re almost done the cleaning them.
- Meat Probe: Want to see the temperature of your smoker & meat from the couch? This comes with a meat probe that can relay information about the internal temperature of the meat and smoker to the app or digital display. No more need to lift up the hood to check what the temperature of the meat is.
- Sense-Mate: One last feature that is worth mentioning is the sense-mate. This feature is a sensor that is constantly monitoring the ambient temperature of the smoker. When the weather gets cold the sensor adjusts the smoker into turbo mode, taking less time to heat up to temperature.
- Versatility: Because the Daniel Boone has such a vast temperature range and can hold heat so well it is a very versatile smoker. You can use it just like you would you grill or bbq, or if you want to get really adventurous you can even get this smoker hot enough to cook a pizza! When you pay this much for a smoker, it is good to see that you can use it in place of 1 or even 2 other units. definitely gives you good value for money and allows you to have many different cooking options.
- Grease Bucket: The 12 gauge steel grease bucket is large and makes cleaning up much easier than it could be. Simple dispose of the contents of the grease bucket and replace it.
- Fan Only Mode: While we are on cleaning, the fan only mode is true genius. This mode will run the fan once you have finished cooking to flow out the firebox of any leftover ash. This makes setting up next time a whole lot easier. Once the fan only mode has run the unit will automatically shut off.
- Easy To Set Up: The initial set up is extremely easy and can be done by just one person, however, this is a heavy unit so I would recommend having a friend to help you. The instructions are very easy to follow and self-explanatory, but if you need help setting up your smoker the Green Mountian customer service team is excellent.
Pros and Cons of The Daniel Boone
Daniel Boone Pellet Grill Pros
- Fantastic temperature control with the digital remote
- A turbo heat up system, which can get to high temperatures in very cold climates
- Large cooking space
- Helpful customer care
- Free IOS and Andriod App to get you cooking from the couch
- Very versatile, use it as a bbq, grill, smoker or even pizza oven
- Accurate thermal sensor
Daniel Boone Pellet Grill Cons
- You need to reload the hopper every 5 – 6 hours on long smokes
- The hole for the thermometer is very small and only suited to the standard thermometer that comes wit the unit
- The app is not very user friendly and can take a long time to figure out
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
The GMG Grills Daniel Boone is a smoker for those of you who love when technology makes cooking easier. I would advise anyone who is thinking about the Daniel Boone to definitely go for the WIFI model. This will drastically increase your cooking experience.
Overall it is a very solid unit constructed out of 12 gauge steel. This means its durable, long-lasting and heavy. It is possible to move it but to be honest, at 150 odd pounds you really don’t want to be moving it too far from your backyard.
The bottom line: This is a very versatile pellet smoker that can double as your grill/ BBQ. It consistently delivers great tasting results, literally at the push of a few buttons. It is a little bit pricey, however, with the features, build quality and ease of use you would be a fool not to get the money together for this pellet smoker.
Overall Rating: 4.7 / 5 Stars
Camp Chef SmokePro SE Pellet Smoker
Cheapest Pellet Smoker
Being the cheapest doesn’t always meant that you are the worst. The Camp Chef SmokePro Se is actually an amazing pellet smoker.
It is one of the cheapest because it is an entry level smoker that does not come standard with all of the features that you may want in a pellet smoker. However, it does come with everything you need to get smoking. A great option if you don’t quite have the money for a top of the line feature packed smoker.
It is big enough for several big racks or ribs, or two huge salmon fillets. It has a nice large grilling area of 19.5 x 22 inches and a total cooking space of 429 inches, which is quite modest for the price point.
In true Camp chef style, it is a quality build that is really sturdy. When moving this smoker around the backyard it doesn’t seem too flimsy like some other pellet smokers out there. It is also lighter than a lot of other pellet smokers out there.
I think that the Camp Chef SmokePro SE is a great long-term investment for anyone looking to enter the smoking world but doesn’t quite have the money to buy one of the more feature-packed models. Remember, the SmokePro SE is compatible with all the add-on features such as jerky rack, shelf, thermometer, and ash catch system.
Let’s check out some of the features that are included in this smoker.
Key Features of the Camp Chef SmokePro SE
- Temperature Control: The built-in temperature control unit of the Smoke Pro is really great, it’s super easy to use and has a simple ‘low’ or ‘high’ setting. All you need to worry about is setting the temperature and the smoker will maintain the heat for the duration of the cook.
The temperature gauge on the outside is another great feature, this allows you to keep an eye on your temperature without lifting the lid and letting the heat and smoke escape, leaving you with a better cooked and flavored result.
- Automatic Auger: This bad boy will feed the exact amount of pellets for the duration of your cook, trust me, you won’t need to check how the fire is going at all. Just load up the decently sized hopper and you are good to go for hours.
The adjustable smokestack is also great for when you have a gathering and you need to get the smoke out and above the crowd. No more unhappy guests with smoke stained clothes.
- Temperature Range: The Smoke Pro has an outstanding temperature range from 60 degrees Fahrenheit up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a perfect temperature range for everything from slow pellet smoker brisket to getting a good sear on your favorite steak.
Its ability to maintain a consistent temperature is second to none, which is one of the major contributing factors to why it is in such high demand right now. It also has a dedicated area so you are able to grill your meat or veggies.
- Bottom Storage Rack: At the bottom of the grill you will find a handy storage rack. This comes in handy for storing cooking tools, covers, unused pans/racks or beer.
Additional Features Not Included In the Entry Level Package
- Ash Cup: The clean up is one of the easiest we have come across on any smoker. The removable ash cup is something that I think is brilliant!
Instead of dismantling and cleaning your grill after every use, you can simply pull a lever and empty the ash out of the fire pot. It’s so easy you can do it on the fly so you are not left with any nasty surprises when you start gearing up for your next cook.
Jerky Racks: Additional jerky racks are not included with this model, however, they can be purchased or are included in the other models. These are great for anyone who smokes smaller items such as jerky, bacon, sausage or chicken wings. The racks are designed with smaller gaps between the wires so no food drops down into the smoker.
Front Shelf: The front shelf definitely is not a necessity, however, is very convenient when you are not cooking low and slow. Additional storage space is always a welcome addition in my book.
Remote Thermometer: A remote thermometer takes all the guesswork out of the cooking. You can always be sure that you are cooking your food tot eh right temperature. This dramatically decreases your chances of getting sick and always ensures that you are left with tender, juicy results.
The Camp Chef SmokePro SE Pellet Grill Pros and Cons
SnokePro SE Pellet BBQ Pros
- Electronic auto-ignition
- Built-in temperature gauge controls internal cooking temperature
- Great mobility with strong sturdy wheels
- Grease management system
SmokePro SE Pellet BBQ Cons
- Does not retain heat as well as other models
- No ash catch can make cleaning difficult
- The hopper can get clogged, so its best to keep an eye on it every hour or so
An Overview From Camp Chef
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Camp Chef SmokePro SE
Usually, you think of the cheapest as the lowest quality, the smallest or even just the worst. This is not the case with the Camp Chef SmokePro SE. This is a smoker that is suited to the new smoker who doesn’t have the big budget to jump right into the $1000 smoker. You can be assured with Camp Chef you are going to get a quality build and great functionality.
The Bottom Line: Don’t have the cash to purchase the top of the line pellet smoker of your dreams? This is a fantastic entry level smoker that is built with high quality but doesn’t come standard with all the expensive features and add-ons. It is compatible with all Camp Chef assessors so as you grow in your smoking career you can purchase more parts and accessories.
Overall Rating: 4.6 / 5 Stars
Yoder Smoker YS640 Grill
The Best Pellet Smoker For the Home Entertainers
Need a smoker which a huge cooking space? The Yoder YS640 has 640 sq inches of room. This is more than enough room for several racks of ribs or a whole turkey.
It is a unit that is built for ease, versatility and cooking a large amount of food a restaurant quality.
This smoker can be easily used as a regular grill, making it great for cookouts. It is actually a unit that you could purchase and use in place of several separate units. It is built extremely solid. It is constructed from heavy gauge steel and is heavy. This means that it will last a long time and will not wear away after a few years from general wear and tear. The downside is it weighs around 330 lbs so it’s not the easiest unit to move around by yourself.
Yoder grills and smokers are made of such high-quality materials they even back them up with a lifetime warranty.
The YS640 is the best-built wood fired pellet smokers I have EVER come across. Its worth every penny if you’re after a high-quality smoker. Let’s check out the key features of this Yoder smoker.
Key Features of the Yoder YS640
- Digital Controller: The Yoder Smoker comes with a sophisticated proprietary digital controller, which means it analyses the temperature inside the meat and the smoker to maintain the desired temperature within a few degrees.
This is achieved by controlling the pellet distribution, as well as lowering the temperature as your meat nears its completion. This means the Yoder leaves no room for errors. This is a great feature for those of you who like to entertain your guests, play with the kids or simply just ‘set & forget’.
- Cooking Range: The YS640 has an outstanding cooking range of 150 to 600°F, this is perfect for all night low and slow brisket or quickly searing your favourite cut of steak.
- Upgradable Cooking Space: Love cooking your delicious BBQ for your backyard party? The cooking space is easily upgradable to over 1000 square inches.
- Wide Range of Accessories (you actually would use): Do you like having the best of the best? The YS640 has a very wide range of additional accessories and upgrades. Yoder are also at the top of their game when it comes to updating the computer control system, they have periodical updates of the firmware to keep you tech lovers happy.
- Hood Counter Weight: The construction of the hood (and rest of the unit) us so tough and heavyweight that the hood needs a counterweight to make it easier to lift this thing up with ease. If that is not a sign that this is a quality built unit I don’t know what is.
- Grease Drain: The grease drain system on the Yoder YS640 is one of the best working systems I have come across. It is a very basic system that allows for very fast clean up. For such a big unit that is something that I really appreciate.
- American Built: It’s important to support local or support companies that are manufacturing products here in the USA. Often you do pay top dollar for products that are made here but you also pay for the quality American craftsmanship. A unit like this is a prime example of why you should always do what you can to buy local and support quality.
Pros and Cons of the Yoder YS640
Yoder YS640 Grill Pros
- Precision temperature controller with 5 degree increments
- High quality construction
- Lots of cooking space
- Single layer lid with counter balance
- Made in the USA
- Sturdy powder coated steel construction
Yoder YS640 Grill Cons
- The cover that is included is very bad quality. It is thin and very low quality
- No thermometer included and also no probe holes for an aftermarket thermometer so you need to close the lid on your thermometer cord
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Yoder YS640
Highest of high quality made smoker that is backed up by a lifetime warranty. It has enough space to cook for everyone in your neighborhood at the next block party or for the whole extended family this 4th of July.
Yoder has lots of upgrades and technical upgrades available to keep you up with all the new technology if you are that way inclined. It’s just a genuine around great smoker in my eyes. If only it wasn’t so heavy so you could take it everywhere without a trailer!
The Bottom Line: This American built smoker built for Americans who love cooking for a large number of people with the peace of mind that you have a quality piece of equipment behind you. It is a little pricier than a lot of other smokers out there, however, you really do get a quality smoker built with quality material.
Overall Rating: 4.5 / 5 Stars
Traeger Grills Pro Series 22
Overall Best Quality
Traeger is the pioneers of the pellet grill. They were one of the first brands out there to develop this style of cooking. Being one of the pioneers of this style of cooking you can be sure that they are one of the best out there. The functionality and build quality are unbeatable.
The Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill has a temperature range of 150 to 450 degrees and expansive cooking space of 572 sq inches. This is more than enough space with room for 5 racks of ribs, 24 burgers or 4 whole chickens. Perfect for those who often have a decent sized crowd or family to cook for.
Overall the Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet Smoker is a sturdy, good looking pellet smoker. It has a durable powder coat finish, loads of internal room and a decent sized hopper. The digital controller keeps temperatures at an accurate temperature and the easy cleanup features are really handy!
This is a great pellet grill for the smoker out there who likes to stay true to the roots of pellet smoking and understands quality. Let’s check out the key features of the Traeger Pro Series 22.
Traeger Pro Series 22 Key Features
- Top Rack: The pro series come with the top smoking rack, this gives you around 30% more area for food. Perfect for ribs, wings or veggies.
- Cook Book & Instructions: No Traeger purchase would be complete without the Traeger cookbook and instructions. The instructions are extremely easy to follow and have great pictures explaining exactly what you need to do. They even include how many beers you will need for the setup! The cookbook has everything you need to go from beginner to professional. It includes recipes for all meats, veggies, and seafood.
- Hopper Clean Out: The hopper clean out system makes cleaning out unused pellets a breeze. This is great for transporting the unit or when you want to change up the flavor of pellets. Simply unscrew the back door to the hopper clean out and the pellets will fall out into your container.
- Grease Bucket: The Pro Series 22 is flare-up-proof. Under the grill plates, you can see the plate that covers the firebox and feeds the dripping grease down into the grease bucket. This makes cleaning up extremely fast and easy.
- Fire Pit Access: Access to the fire pit is very easy. This makes clean up really easy. Simply remove the grill racks, the grease rack and you have access to your firebox and the base of the cooking chamber. To clean all you need is a vacuum cleaner, but make sure you wait until the unit is cooled before removing any leftovers.
- Thermometers: This smoker comes with 2 meat thermometers. These two thermometers can be plugged into the digital controller and fed through the hole on the right side of the grill. Checking the internal temperature of your meat is as easy as pressing the ‘probe select’ button on the digital controller. The thermometers seem to be very accurate when tested against my Thermowand.
- Accurate Digital Controller: This Traeger smoker also offers an accurate digital controller to keep cooking temperatures within +/-5 degrees f. This ensures you’re getting precision smoking and grilling for all our meats and vegetables each time.
- Movability: The new brawny side lift bar and thicker all-terrain wheels make moving the smoker a breeze. It is really easy to move it on rocks, grass dirt or through the neighbors back garden.
- Durable Design: Traeger is the inventor of the pellet grill. The new upgraded sawhorse chassis is a solid foundation, you can really tell when you are moving the unit around the backyard that it is far more solid than the elite models.
- Low Power Usage: The Traeger Pro Series 22 only uses 300 watts of power for the first four minutes and only 50 watts for the rest of the cook. Pellet smoking is already one of the most environmentally friendly ways of cooking, however, the Traeger Pro Series absolutely takes this to another level.
Pros and Cons of the Traeger Pro Series 22
Pro Series 22 Pros
- Dual probes came in handy for monitoring the meats
- Easy cleanup
- Fully automatic auger
- Large hopper
- Sturdy sawhorse chassis
- All terrain wheels
Pro Series 22 Cons
- Low maximum heat at only 450 degrees
- The controller is limited to only 10 positions
An Overview From Traeger Grills
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Traeger Pro Series 22
If you are a traditionalist you will love the Traeger Pro Series 22, it’s a classic grill that has been updated with lots of features to make your grilling life easy.
It is a durable and high-quality smoker that gives off an incredible smokey flavor. One of the best pellet smokers we have used in the last few years if you are looking at a Traeger make sure you spend that little bit extra and go for the Pro series. The small upgrades over the Elite series are well worth the extra.
The Bottom Line: A High-quality unit with a large hopper to keep all your guests happy without having to tend to the smoker.
Overall Rating: 4.4 / 5 Stars
Camp Chef SmokePro LUX
Best Value For Money
After a smoker that has a high quality build without the price tag? The Camp Chef PG24 Deluxe is one of the cheaper smokers out there. However, that does not mean that is skips on features or size. It is big enough to keep the whole family and a group of friends well fed.
It is extremely user-friendly and has lots of features that you would expect from a more expensive smoker. The features we loved were the auto start ignition and built in temperature probe.
We like the sleek design and a hopper large enough to have you smoking all night without needing to think about refilling the hopper. The auger runs smoothly and only gives out as many pellets as needed to maintain the temperature.
Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Key Features
- Cooking Space: The 573 inches of cooking space is plenty of room for cooking for the family or a small crowd. You also get a great cooking temperature range of 160 to 500 °F. We found it was perfect for cooking everything from our favourite rack of ribs to getting a nice char on our smoked chicken.
- Low Cost: This smoker is priced for those who want to get into smoking but are not yet fully committed to something that is a huge investment. They have kept the cost down by using less metal in the construction. However, this does mean that the smoker is not as sturdy as some other models. This is not a huge issue but something to take into account if you are planning on keeping this as a longer-term investment.
- Built-In Digital Thermometer: Standard on this model is a top quality digital thermometer. This thermometer is very accurate and easy to read. Perfect for quick checks on how the internal meat temperature is coming along. The temperature is displayed on an easy to read LED dash.
- Power Failure Reset: Another great feature this smoker is the power failure reset. This is great for overnight cooks or when you are busy entertaining. This feature will restart the grill automatically if there is a power cut or anything goes wrong with the smoker. Fortunately, this was not a feature that I had first-hand experience using but can definitely see it coming in handy and saving some disappointment in the morning.
- Ash Clear Out System: Cleaning the ash out is a breeze with the exclusive quick release clear out system. No more messy clean outs!
- Thermometers: This smoker comes with 2 meat thermometers. These two thermometers can be plugged into the digital controller and fed through the hole on the right side of the grill. Checking the internal temperature of your meat is as easy as pressing the ‘probe select’ button on the digital controller. The thermometers seem to be very accurate when tested against my Thermowand.
Pros and Cons of the Camp Chef SmokePro LUX
SmokePro LUX Pros
- Accurate built in meat probe
- Very reasonably priced
- Sturdy wheels
- Well designed ash clean out system
- Brilliant temperature control
- Power failure reset
SmokePro LUX Cons
- The safety grate in the hopper can make it a little awkward to get access pellets out
- The lid doesn’t always line up first time, with a bit of jigging about we sorted it quickly
An Overview From Camp Chef
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Camp Chef Smoke Pro LUX
The Camp Chef Pro LUX is one of my favourite cheap smokers out there, it has some great features that you would expect from a more expensive smoker. It is big enough to feed a small crowd & will stay nice and hot throughout your cook.
The Bottom Line: I think it is the perfect smoker for those of you who are a casual smoker but still want a high quality unit but don’t want to go spend a fortune on it.
Overall Rating: 4.4 / 5 Stars
Green Mountain Davy Crockett
Do you like some versatility with your smoker? Enjoy camping trips, cooking in the park or just in a mates backyard? This little bad boy is for you.
There was two stand out features on the Davy Crockett for me. The first was the convenient size and the second was the WiFi.
This little guy has enough space to comfortably cook for 8 people and still be small enough to take with you on your camping trip or tailgate session.
The added convenience try is perfect for storing food, cutlery and doubles as a prep station! Perfect for camping.
Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker Key Features
- Wifi Enabled: The stand out feature of the Davy Crockett is the WiFi. We simply downloaded the free app from the app store. The app allowed us to easily monitor & control the temperature. It also sends you an error and low fuel notifications, so you never have to worry about forgetting to load the hopper again. We have found that Often the wifi feature is seen as a way the retailer can jack up the price. However with the Davy Crockett this is not the case works really well.
- Multiple Power Options: Included in the box are three different power options. You have the AC adapter, 12-volt plug and battery alligator clips. These options are extremely handy for when you are taking the grill from a trip and don’t have a traditional power socket nearby.
- Portability: The Davy Crockett is made for those who like to cook delicious smoky meals anywhere. This smoker is small enough to fit in the the boot of any car or in back in your truck.
Pros and Cons of the Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker
Davy Crockett BBQ Grill Pros
- WIFI enabled
- Small enough to conveniently move
- Sturdy removable legs
- Free IOS and Android App
- Multiple power options
Davy Crockett BBQ Grill Cons
- You can’t feed more than 12 people with smoker in one go
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Green Mountain Davy Crockett Pellet Grill
Love to take your grill with you? The Davy Crockett grill is your best option. Especially with it’s adjustable legs, you have endless options for where you can set it up.
It gets up to temperature extremely quickly and once set is able to hold a steady temperature. The only downside that I could find was the hopper not feeding the auger consistently, but to be honest, this was not much of a problem and it did not affect the cooking temperature at all.
With the convenience of WiFi, the portability and durability I think it is worth every penny. This grill is something that every camping enthusiast should have in there arsenal.
The Bottom Line: If you like cooking away from home, you need this smoker!
Overall Rating: 4.3 / 5 Stars
Pit Boss 71700
Do want a pellet smoker that is extremely user friendly?
The 71700 FB is perfect for those backyard beginners who love entertaining and want lots of cooking space.
Love steak? The added flame broiler is a really good feature and gives you the option too give your steak a bloody good sear.
Pit Boss 71700 Key Features
- Power Source: Another great feature of the Pit Boss is unlike most other pellet smokers you do not require an outlet for power. This bad boy can comfortably run off a converter from your car battery, perfect for camping trips, tailgating or afternoons at the park.
- Versatility: With temperatures ranging from 180 – 500 degrees fahrenheit you can smoke, sear, bake, braise, char-grill, roast, grill and BBQ until your heart’s content.
- User-Friendly: The Pit Boss is great for those just starting off smoking. You can just load the hopper, set the temperature on the easy to use digital control board and you are set to go.
- Huge Cooking Space: The 700 square inches of cooking space is plenty of room for cooking up to 10 or more guests. With the hood closed you have more than enough space to fit a whole turkey inside. The added convenience of a flame broiler is a great addition for those steak lovers.
Pros and Cons of the Pit Boss 71700
Pit Boss 71700 Pros
- Huge cooking space
- Adjustable cooking rack
- Heavy duty construction
- Brilliant temperature control
- Really easy to clean
- Innovative flame broiler
Pit Boss 71700 Cons
- The steel wheels rattle and shake a lot when moving
- The back vents can release heat
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Pit Boss 71700 FB Pellet Grill
All in all, I think the 700 FB is a top quality smoker for those of you who want to regularly cook for a bigger crowd. It is a sturdy, well-made smoker packed full of all the essentials you need to smoke, sear, bake, braise, char-grill, roast, grill and BBQ, no matter how many people are involved.
The Bottom Line: The Pit Boss 700 FB is the pellet smoker with the best value per square inch on the market right now.
Overall Rating: 4.2 / 5 Stars
Traeger Tailgater 20
The Traeger Tailgater 20 is the perfect grill for those of you out there who like to take your smoker with you. At only 62 pounds it is easy enough to put in the back of the pickup or camper to take on your next adventure.
It has a cooking surface of 300 square inches. That’s enough room for up to 12 burgers, 2 whole chickens, 18 hot dogs or 3 decent sized racks of ribs.
It comes loaded with great features to make your life easier and more convenient when cooking away from home.
Traeger Tailgater 20 Key Features
- EZ-Fold Legs: The EZ-Fold leg system is perfect for transportation or setting up the smoker in the back of the pickup.
- Versatile: The Tailgater is not just a one-stop grill. Grill, braise, bake, roast or smoke your meats to perfection.
- Efficient: Using only 300 watts in the first 4 minutes and then only 50 watts after the initial 4 minutes the Tailgater is super efficient.
Pros and Cons of the Traeger Tailgater 20
Tailgater 20 Smoker Pros
- Lightweight and portable
- Foldable legs
- Durable and long lasting
- Easy to clean
- User friendly
Tailgater 20 Smoker Cons
- Nothing, I loved this one!
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Traeger Tailgater 20 Pellet Smoker
The Tailgater is the perfect grill for anyone who loves taking their grill with them. If that’s on a camping trip, to a tailgate or a friends backyard, this is perfect for you
The Bottom Line: Want to take your smoker with you? This is absolutely perfect!
Overall Rating: 4.1 / 5 Stars
Z Grills 700
The Z Grills 700 is an American built beaut. I loved the large cooking area of 512 square inches and a huuuuuge cooking temperature range of 160 to 450°F. The reliable convection based heat source which allows a perfect even cook every time.
The Z Grills is always a user friendly experience and is sure to be a big hit first time. Set up is easy and you will be smoking within an hour of opening the box! The easy to follow instructions were not even necessary!
Z Grills 700 Key Features
- Loads of Grill Space: 513 sq in the main rack & 187 sq in warmer rack.
- 8-In-One: Grill, bake, roast, sear, braise, barbecue, char-grill or smoke.
- Big Hopper: The large 20 lb hopper is large enough to keep the fire burning for hours and hours.
- Set and Forget: The automated electric feed system maintains temperatures at the press of a button.
- Fan Forced Convection Cooking: This eliminates the need for a rotisserie and creates a versatile cooking environment perfect for all types of cooking.
Pros and Cons of the Z Grills 700
Z Grills 700 Pros
- Shutdown recycle mode
- Second cooking rack
- Internal temperature sensor
- Electronic auto ignition
- American built
Z Grills 700 Cons
- Slightly lower temperature range high temperature
My Final Thoughts and Rating of the Z Grills 700 Pellet Grill
I believe the Z Grills Pellet Smoker after something that is easy to use but still a really high quality build.
Bottom Line: Reliable, tough built all American grill perfect for cooking delicious food for a crowd.
Overall Rating: 4.0 / 5 Stars
Who Are Pellet Smokers For?
By now it should be fairly obvious who should invest in a pellet smoker… those who loves the beautiful flavour of smoked meats & vegetables but still wants convenience of set and forget.
The world of smoking can be tricky to get the hang of with some smokers, however, the pellet smoker takes all the hard work out for you. Pellet smokers are perfect for:
- The Working Professional: Being a working professional in a lot of places mean that you work long hours and you don’t have the time to set up the BBQ or smoker when you get home. The pellet smoker takes minimal effort to set up and once it is fired up you have all the time in the word to get the rest of your chores done. The set & forget functionality of the pellet smoker is a huge advantage in this case!
- Weekend Travellers/Campers: Because some models of pellet smokers are quite small these are perfect to tuck away in the storage compartments of your camper or car.
You can keep a few pellets handy for a quick and easy dinner while enjoying your lakeside view, or for when you catch that surprise fish at the riverside camp! You will be the envy of your campsite and that smell will be sure to lour in some new friends!
- Tech Heads: The tech side of things in the smoking world is always on the move, nowadays there is a tonne of different tech advancements that are quite cool.
You can now get smokers that have WiFi. I know what you are thinking and no this is not so you can scroll facebook while you smoke. This genius little idea is so you can control the temperature and even the from your phone! This is great for setting up your smoker in the morning then turning it on when you are on your way home!
- First-Time Smokers: If you are just starting out in the smoking world a pellet set up is perfect for you. The set and forget method lets you concentrate on getting the right combination of ingredients, flavours and your recipe down. Without the added stress of concentrating on keeping your smoker at the right temperature or keeping the fire stoked.
- Competition Smokers: When entering smoking competitions, in most cases you are fairly limited to what you can use. Both gas and electric smokers are considered to be ‘automated’ so are not allowed. The pellet smoker is not automated, only controlled so you are good to go!
- Those Who Care For The Environment: When you think of meat smoking, something you don’t think of is the environment. An added bonus of the pellet smoker is that burning wood pellets produces around 90% less carbon dioxide than traditional fossil fuels like oil or gas. Burning just tone tonne of wood pellets can save a whopping 400 litres of oil. This means you are saving 1,070kg of carbon dioxide from entering the world’s atmosphere. Pretty cool right?
- Smoke Masters: Even well-seasoned smoke masters can appreciate the pellet smoker. You can perfect your favourite recipes in the pellet smoker. Why you ask? The major bonus here is having almost perfect temperature control. This allows you to get your meat to the exact temperature you need it to be tender, juicy and falling off the bone effortlessly
Essentially the pellet smoker is for those backyard cooks out there who are smart. You get a smoker that is extremely easy to use and environmentally friendly. For me, that definitely ticks all boxes!
How Do Does The Smoker Work?
Pellet smokers have different types of controls, those controls decide when to feed pellets into a burn pot. An igniter rod sits in the bottom of the pot which heats like a stove element. As the pellets light, a fan blows and feed them oxygen which starts the smoke production.
Since the entire process is automatic, you’re not required to mess around with things like wood and charcoal, nor do you need to play around with temperature settings. This means you’re free to do a whole lot of other chores without having to constantly worry about what’s happening to your food. And what’s more, this kind of smoker doesn’t require much of maintenance, unlike the conventional charcoal or wood smokers.
Pellet smokers work with the convection process. Put simply this means that the smoke is circulated through the cooking chamber by an induction fan. This method provides an intense smoke flavour that is evenly distributed throughout your meat
It is amazing how simple it is to create really good tasting food in one of these bad boys!
Pellet smokers have several key components that can be broken down into the following:
- The Hopper: The process all starts at the hopper. The hopper is where you load up your wood pellets, load this right up to the top and you will have hours of smoking power.
- The Auger: The auger takes the wood pellets from the hopper into the fire pot. The augers speed will change according to how hot you set your smoker, if you are after a hot intense heat, the auger will feed more wood pellets into the fire pit. Whereas if you are after a low & slow heat the auger will feed the fire box slowly.
- The Firepot: The firepot is where the magic happens. At the bottom of the firepot is a hotrod that lights the wood pellets. The hot rod does all the hard work for and makes sure the fire is alight at all times.
- The Induction Fan: The induction fan takes the smoke from the firepot and circulates the smoke throughout the cooking chamber. This is what gives your meat that deep smoky flavour.
- The Shutdown: The shutdown is where the pellet smoker stays on for a further 5 minutes after cooking. This allows the smoker to get rid of any additional ash & smoke after cooking so you are left with a cleaner smoker. Combine all these components and you get one very easy to use and efficient smoker. Perfect for everyone form a complete beginner to a well-seasoned smoking master.
Factors to Consider When Buying A Smoker
However, there are some other elements that come into play when defining a good pellet smoker or the best pellet smoker. These factors can differ from person to person and do depend on exactly you want to get out of it.
- The Size, Cooking Area & Portability: In the smoking world, bigger is not necessarily better. One of the first things that you should consider when buying a pellet smoker is the unit size. What exactly do you need it for? Will you be taking it away in the camper, over to the neighbours or an event? Or will it spend most of its life out on the Veranda? Secondly, you should decide how many people will regularly be cooking for. It’s not going to be essential for you to get a large unit if you only plan to cook up for the family.
- The Smokers Temperature Range: The temperature range is a very important part of your smoker. This will be a little different for everyone depending on what you like to smoke, how long you like to smoke for and the style of cooking you generally do. In general, most pellet smokers will comfortably sit at temperatures between 180° F and 450° F. This range is perfect for grilling, baking, roasting and of course smoking.For those of you who like a good sear on your meat, you will want to go for something that will comfortably reach 550° F and beyond. You might even see some high-end pellet grills which can reach 500° F – 700° F which is hot enough to sear and fire-roasted pizza.Another thing to think about when buying is the quality of the built-in thermometer, without a decent thermometer your smoker will not give the best results.
- The Controller Type: We all want to open our smoker and have the perfect piece of meat. The best way to achieve this is by having a smoker that can hold a constant temperature. This allows you to perfect your cook times and take your meat out at the perfect time. The control board is the part of the smoker that looks after cook time, this is an essential part of a good smoker. All pellet smokers will have one of the four controllers. These four are set out below from the most basic to the most sophisticated. As you look at more high-quality smokers, they should include one of the more high-quality controllers. As a general rule of thumb, the more expensive smokers should have a one-touch non-PID controller or a PID controller.
- Position Controller: 3 position controllers, also called LMH, these only have 3 temp settings—low, medium, and high—roughly 225°F, 325°F, and 425°F. Pellets released in fixed cycles that are determined by which setting you choose. You have little control over the cooking temperature and smoke, this is usually found on smoker on the lower end of the scale.Multi-Position Controller: Multi-position controllers feature a knob with temperature settings that go from 180°F to 420°F it could have an LCD display. However, they also run on fixed cycles and can only maintain a range of about +/-20°F depending on condition e.g wind.
- One-Touch Non-PID Controller: You will see screen display and one-touch buttons for setting the cooking temperature in 5° or 10° increments, these controllers allow you to more accurately set your desired cooking temps. You will most likely find these types of controllers have an input for a meat probe, so you will be able to monitor the internal temps.
- PID Controllers: This is the most sophisticated type of pellet grill controller on the market at the moment, PID controllers are coded to be able to get to and stay at your set temp within only a few degrees, All will feature an LCD screen with the ability to set the temp in 5F increments. Unlike the previous controllers that have a fixed cycle, a PID.
- The Quality Of Construction: Quality is something to think about when buying. You don’t want to buy to cheaply and have it fall to pieces on you in 1 years time. You want to do some research and see what smokers will suit your needs. Some of the important things to think when looking at the constructions of the smoker are:The weight of the lid, you want it to feel heavy, not flimsy. You don’t want to have any gaps so it should sit flush ensuring a good seal. Ensuring its snug, means you’re not losing any heat or smoke. Also, check out the joins such as the welding.Also, find out what material the smoker is made from. Most pellets grills are made of painted steel, however, you will want to find that quality of the steel and paint as it can vary. A good thing to look for is a powder coat that withstands high temperatures.
- Additional features and Add-ons:In the world of pellet smokers, there have been some real technical advancements in the past few years. Now some people might cringe at the thought of mixing new technology with cooking, while others will want all the latest bells and whistles, again this comes down to personal preference and if you are willing to spend more money to get the latest and ‘greatest’.A few additional features and add-ons that you can get nowadays include:
Wifi:Thats right you can get a grill that has wifi capabilities.
Programmable Probes: You can now get probes that let you know when your food has reached a certain temperature!
Control Boards with Built in Meat Probe: Combine your meat probe and control board to truly automate your cooking.
What are The Pellets?
Wood pellets were first designed back in 1982 by Tregar Heating. They are little pellets made up of compressed sawdust.
Originally they were just a by-product of timber yards. This is great for us smokers that like to be as chemical free as possible, as the pellets contain no added chemicals or fillers.
Pellets also produce very little as, which means less cleanup and also less chance of nasty ash making its way into your food.
How to Clean and Maintain A Pellet Smoker
It’s a lot of fun sharing my thoughts & knowledge about pellet smokers.
Being around the BBQ is something that I thoroughly enjoy, I love writing about what I have learnt over the past few years. Helping others get into the BBQ, Grill & smoking scene is something that I feel will enrich others lives for years to come. That is of course, if you clean and maintain your smoker.
Once you have finally bought your smoker, you need to learn how to store it, clean it and generally maintain it. Learning these little tricks and putting a little bit of elbow grease in will prolong your new smokers lifespan dramatically. To be honest I take a lot of pride in my smoker and keeping it clean and maintained.
At least once a year you should have a thorough ‘spring clean’ of your smoker. If you use your smokers several times a week you should have a proper thorough clean at least 2 or three times a year. It is amazing how much more life you get out of a clean and well-maintained smoker.
6 Simple Steps to Maintaining Your Smoker
- Read Your Instruction Manual: Now I know as a man by nature we don’t like instructions manuals. However, its important to read over them before you clean. Nowadays with all the added features in your smoker, there are a lot of parts, and a lot of those parts cannot come into contact with water. You should never hose down your pellet smoker.
Your pellet smokers igniter rod, digital controllers, fans and auger are not too water friendly. With these parts you should take great caution and only clean by genially scrubbing at the dirt, any moisture or hard knocks can cause damages.When cleaning makes sure to take extra care around the thermostat, the thermostat is very delicate and if jolted can cause it to take false readings.
- Checking and Replacing The Gaskets: There are some parts of your smoker that will wear out a lot faster than other parts. One of these parts is the gaskets. It is important to check them annually or cracks, splits and corrosion. If you do notice anything, don’t stress this is a quick fix with a repair kit or a new gasket. Again your instruction manual will be your best friend when it comes to replacing or tending to the gaskets.
- What To Clean Before You Cook: This one might seem a little obvious. However, not everybody feels the same way about cleaning the smoker before cooking. Some will even tell you that letting the ‘old flavor’s’ build up will enhance the flavors of your cooking. I disagree, you should always clean your smoker before you put anything In there. This is to prevent any nasty flavors tainting your next meal and for health reasons, you don’t want old grease or leftovers getting into your food, that can cause some serious issues. Before smoking you want to check all the racks, internal walls and roof are clean of any build up, check all the grease/drip pans. The last thing you want is a full drip pan at the start of a cook, that can possibly end two ways: Either very messy or in the worst case in a fire. If your smoker has a grease chute make sure you thoroughly rinse that out and get rid of any build up. Also, check the hopper and auger for any stuck wood pellets.
- Before Turning On Inspect The Burners: Inspecting the burners on your smoker (or any cooking utility) is very important. If you spot any signs of any blockages, leaks or corrosion be sure to hold off using until you know it is safe. Any of the above can cause a fire in the worst case, so if you do notice anything please refer to your instruction manual.
- Maintaining The Exterior: Keeping your smoker looking good on the outside in something many of us take great price in. The best way to keep the exterior of your smoker gleaming is to use a little bit of dish soap in warm water. Always use a nice soft sponge and stay away from any steel wool or brushes, these can damage the exterior and leave marks. For more stubborn stains you will need to use a little bit more elbow grease mixed with a little bit of vinegar or diluted ammonia. Be sure to stay well away from kitchen sprays and other chemicals as this can also damage the exteriors finish. If you are left with water spots, the best way to get rid of those is with a little bit of unsweetened club soda.
- The Internal Components: Keeping your internals running smoothly is an essential part of having a healthy running smoker. Make sure you keep your fans, motor and belts well lubricated and tuned. Your instruction manual will be the best place to turn to for the best advice on your particular model. This is especially important when your smoker has not been used for a long period of time.
Charlies Final Thoughts on The Best Pellets Smokers
Food is a fantastic way of bringing people from all different walks of life together. Every summer thousands of people discover the joy of smoking, grilling and BBQ-ing, and I think that this is really awesome. Every year we see every manufacturer coming up with new and exciting technology to make smoking easier and more appealing and accessible to a greater audience.
Cooking for your family or a group of your closest friends is really satisfying, I feel it brings everyone closer and you get a real sense of family, not to mention the delicious food that is involved.
I hope that I have helped some of you make a decision about choosing the best pellet smoker for you and that very shortly you start reaping the joys of your new purchase! I would love to hear from who has read this and has been inspired to get out in the backyard and get cooking!
Please leave me a comment below!
Happy smoking everyone,
Still Hungry For More?