Thai Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Watermelon and Avocado Recipe
There is nothing healthier than shrimp & avocado skewers. This is a great light meal for midweek.
- High-heat cooking oil sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil, as needed
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper stemmed
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into 16 cubes (TIP: Slice avocado lengthwise into quarters, then cut each slice into 4 chunks)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 - 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 25 jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked for 1 hour
In a blender or food processor, blend together jalapeno, garlic, ginger, milk, mint, lime juice and fish sauce on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
In a baking dish mix together shrimp and the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Lightly oil grill with cooking oil. Preheat grill to medium-high.
Cut the watermelon and avocado into 1 - 2 inch cubes.
Remove shrimp from marinade and thread on skewers with avocado and watermelon, dividing evenly.
Grill on medium-high heat, turning once, for 6 to 7 minutes, until shrimp are opaque throughout.
Serve immediately & enjoy!