Smoked Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Jazz up your boring old shrimp cocktail with this smokey twist. You will impress even your most picky friends with this recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- Coarse salt & cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined shrimp around 20 shrimp
- 1 - 2 or 3 teaspoons minced chipotle chile with juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed if possible
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro and/or parsley fresh
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
Cocktail Sauce Ingredients
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup homemade or your favorite store bought
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice fresh if possible
- 2 chipotle chiles chopped
- 3 Tablespoons diced onion
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 6 Tablespoons orange juice freshly squeezed if possible
In a large mixing bowl mix together cilantro, garlic, minced chipotle (with chipotle juices) and shrimp. Once well combined, mix in the lime juice and olive oil and let marinade for 30 minutes.
While your shrimp is marinating you can put your cocktail sauce together. In another mixing bowl whisk together all of the cocktail sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust the acidity or saltiness to taste with more lime juice or salt. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
Once your shrimp have marinaded thread 2 - 3 shrimp on each skewer. If you are using wood skewers make sure they have been soaked in water before using, this will stop the skewers from burning on the grill.
Preheat your smoker to 250°F as per your smokers manufacturers instructions.
Place the skewers in your smokers and smoke until the shrimp have a golden bronze color on the outside and are no longer transparent on the inside. This should take around 30 minutes. Throughout the cook baste with melted butter to keep them moist and tasty!
Divide the cocktail sauce into your favorite martini glass or glass and arrange your skewers for serving. Finish with a sprinkling of cilantro and/or parsley and serve right away.