When it comes to finding the right grill for you and your families needs the options can seem endless.
There are a lot of different grill styles, types and brands out there.. but which one is for you?
In this review I will look at the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill and I will try to give you the best overview of the unit that I can. I will explain the main features, specifications and some things that I personally like and also dislike about it.
The Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill comes with 818 square inches of total cooking space. Its a big grill for big cookouts. The space is split up between the main cooking grates and the warming rack.
This grill was built for stability and is great for backyard barbecues and get togethers. It is a grill that is easy to clean and use, you can control your heat with a dial and monitor it with the built in thermometer.
About Pit Boss Grills
Pit Boss Grills was founded back in 1999 as a subsidiary of Dansons, Inc.
The company was founded by a father-son trio, Dan Thiessen and his two sons, Jeff and Jordan.
Pit Boss Grills is a company that is known for its quality grills and the craftsmanship put into them. They are a tough and durable brand that is well respected in the grilling community.
Their range of grills are creative and made with customers in mind. They range from smaller portable grills that can be used during tailgates and away games as well as bigger, more permanent models for get togethers in the backyard.
Since it was founded the company has grown to have the reputation of having the best value per square inch in the grill market.
Specifications of the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill
- Dimensions: 25.3 x 47.8 x 50.2 inches (fully assembled)
- Cooking Space: 818 square inches
- Cooking Grids: Porcelain coated wire
- Hopper Capacity: 19 pounds
- Material: 16 gauge heavy duty stainless steel
- Temperature range: 170 to 500 degrees F
- BTU Rating: 20700
- Ignition: Auto-ignition
- Weight: 141.1 pounds
- Burger Capacity: 42
- Control: V1 Digital Control Board
The Key Features of the Pit Boss 820
- Heat Control: Once you’ve loaded your pellets into the grill and get them burning you will be able to easily control the heat with a simple dial. There is a thermometer display located in the lid of the Pit Boss 820 that can help you to determine the approximate temperature, keep in mind however that it is extremely important that you use a reliable meat thermometer to confirm that your meat product has reached a temperature that is considered a safe level.
- Grill Space: With the Pit Boss 820 you have quite a bit of space for cooking. There are two separate racks, one simply to keep your cooked food warm and the other uses intense heat to cook your food. This grill also has the ability to be used as a convection oven thanks to its fan. This enables you to use the space as a baking spot provided you have the appropriately sized pans. The top rack has an abundance of space that can be used for baking, enabling you to cook baked goods, or provided that you have a pizza pan or stone, you can even bake your pizzas on the grill.
- Adjustable Heat Shield: The grill has an adjustable heat shield that allows you to easily grill more delicate foods that don’t hold up well to flame grilling the way that steaks and burgers can. With the heat shield, you can adjust it to the right setting and your more delicate foods while still allowing your stake or burger to sizzles.
- Easily Accessible Hopper: With the Pit Boss 820 you can easily add pellets to the grill while it is grilling without having to get close to the flames, this is because the grill has a high pellet hopper. Remember to keep in mind and follow the manual instruction when you are near a hot grill.
- Built-In: With this model of grill you get to truly enjoy the grilling experience with not only a built-in bottle opener but also a built-in bottom shelf that can be used for numerous different purposes. You can use it for the storing of your grill accessories or tools, along with many other things. The addition of the shelf helps to keep the grill stable and allows for more easy mobility.
Is the Pit Boss 820 Easy to Setup?
Like many grills, the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe can be difficult to set up. It’s best to set aside time to assemble the grill before you intend to use it.
If you are a complete beginner please keep in mind that when assembling this grill (or anything for that matter) following the instruction manual can eliminate a lot of stress and confusion.
The instruction manual with the 820 is easy to follow and will get you through the entire set up.
You should set aside 1 – 2 hours to set up this unit. Or 5 or 6 beers.
Is the Pit Boss 820 Easy to Use?
Using the 820 is an absolute pleasure.
After you assemble it, which may be a bit difficult for some, the rest is simple.
You can ignite it with ease thanks to the auto-ignition and fill it with pellets simply and safely. After it’s ready to go you can easily control the heat and enjoy yourself while grilling your food.
Once your done cooking cleaning up is as simple as ever. All you have to do is your simple regular maintenance and empty the grease rack bucket. Then you’re ready for the next time you want to grill.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning the Pit Boss 820 is very easy.
One of the things that makes cleaning it so easy is the grease rack bucket.
Any excess grease from your foods drains into the grease bucket and is one reason that the grill stays so neat. Keep in mind however that you do still need to keep the grease rack clean, you can do this by simply placing aluminum foil on it.
There are some pretty simple tools that you can use to clean your grill and keep it clean. Use steel brushes to clean your grill grates and regular dish soap and a washcloth to clean the rackets.
Cleaning and maintaining the cleanliness of the Pit Boss 820 is simple and easy.
Is The 820 Durable?
The Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill is a grill that was made for stability.
While this does mean that moving it around can be a bit hard, it makes for a pretty durable grill.
It has a very heavy duty undercarriage and a shelf that adds to the stability of the grill. The grill is made of 16 gauge steel, which provides a strength that lasts.
The Pit Boss Warranty
The warranty on the Pit Boss 820 is a limited 5 year warranty.
Please keep in mind that the one year limited warranty does not extend to cover issues that are caused by things such as:
- Modifications, adjustments, or repairs that were unauthorised.
- Normal wear and tear.
- Use of improper wood pellets.
- Lack of necessary proper maintenance.
For more details see the Pit Boss warranty.
From The Manufacturer
Do You Get Value for Money?
One big question when it comes to deciding if a grill is good for you is determining if it’s a good value. I can’t speak for everyone but this grill seems like a good value smoker grill to me.
You get temperature control that is simple and easy, meaning you can relax more and enjoy your get togethers without as much worry.
You also get a nice sized cooking space that allows you to not only cook your food but also keep it warm with ease.
Pros and Cons of the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe
- Great heat control.
- Auto-ignition and large hopper.
- Built-in shelf and bottle opener.
- Large cooking space.
- No prep space.
- Wheel placement.
- Requires a power outlet.
Final Thoughts of the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill
Overall the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill is a pretty great grill.
You get an excellent value for a great price.
You can easily control your heat with a dial and monitor it on the lid. This grill was built with stability in mind and seems to be a very stable and excellently made grill.
There are a few downsides, such as the need for a power outlet and lack of prep space, there are plenty of upsides to the grill. It has auto-ignition and is a great unit for backyard get togethers.
Some of the best things about this particular grill are the ease of clean up, which is one of the worst chores by far, and it’s controllability.
If you want a sturdy, easy to clean grill that is simple to use, this is a great one for you.
4.4 / 5 Stars