Finding the right grill for you and your needs can be a bit tricky.
In this article, I will be going over my Weber Kettle 22”. From its basic specifications and features to some of the things I like and don’t like about it.
Weber has been making this grill for years! We all know when something works well don’t mess it with it. That is what this grill is all about!
It’s a classic!
Our favorite feature is the generous 363 square inch cooking space. I used it for my daughter’s graduation party and we managed to easily feed a group of 12 of us!
This grill is easily portable for outings or easy to move around our backyard.
Below you will find out why I think it’s a top-quality grill!
An Introduction to Weber Grills
The founder of the Weber company is none other than George Stephen.
He first invented what seems to be a revolutionary kettle grill back in 1952. He was driven by a passion that isn’t surprising to any modern man, grilling steaks. Back then he worked for Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago, Illinois and was inspired by the shape of a buoy.
He knew, even back then, that the key to success in grilling was a rounded cooking bowl that actually had a lid. So he took a buoy and cut it in half, after adding three legs to the bottom of it and a handle to the top, he was done. The rest is now simply history.
Nowadays I think Weber is one of the most well known and trusted names in the BBQ/ grilling world, and for good reason. They make a genuinely good product at an affordable price.
Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill
- Weight: 32.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 39.5 x 22.5 x 27 Inches
- Primary Cooking Space: 363 Inches Square
- Total Cooking Space: 363 Inches Square
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- Wheels: 2
- Grates: Steel Plated Grates
- Legs: 3
- Made In The USA
What I Liked About It
- Portability: This grill has very durable wheels for moving across gravel, yards, concrete and were built to withstand the elements. They were designed with portability in mind. The grills lightweight makes it that much easier to move around. Now you can use it in the backyard for getting together with friends and family or take it with you to a football game or camping.
- Easy Cleanup: With the One-Touch enclosed ash catcher this grill is amazingly easy to clean and keep clean. The ash catcher has a large ash capacity and is simple to unattach and reattach. You can quickly clean it out before or after you’re done grilling without any hassle.
- Convenient Design: While it’s obvious that they made this grill for grilling and convenience when it comes to clean up, that’s not the only thing that is convenient about this grill. The design of it along with the heat shield lid add a touch more convenience. Not to mention the hinged cooking grate which allows you to easily refill the grill with charcoal without a struggle. There is not only a lid hook attached to keep your lid from ever touching the ground but also a tool hook for your spatula and tongs.
- Rust-resistant: The Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill happens to be equipped with a rust-resistant aluminum damper along with two glass reinforced nylon handles with tool hooks. That makes the grill a bit more durable and helps it to stand up to the elements a bit better than others.
Ease of Setup
Setting up this grill was really easy, Weber also has very easy and simple-to-follow setup instructions. For most, it seems to take less than half an hour. Or around 1 beer.
Please keep in mind when setting it up to pay attention to the details in the instructions, the instructions are thorough and will answer all of your problems. However, should you run into any problems there are plenty of videos online that can help you out.
Ease of Use
The Weber Original Kettle 22’ Charcoal Grill is incredibly easy to use. It’s also easy to assemble. When you get ready to start grilling you’ll find that the hinged grate on the grill allows for the easy addition of more coals making replenishing them much simpler. If you want to know how to set up your Weber grill as a smoker, you just need to remove the top grill and create a charcoal snake.
The tight seal that the lid has gives you even heat and flavor distribution during the cooking process. Now if you truly want to get an idea of what this grill is and how simple and easy it is to use, try watching some videos of people using it and decide for yourself!
Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill is really easy. This model has a One-Touch cleaning system, which is an enclosed ash catcher. It’s something that the original does not feature.
The ash catcher can hold a rather large amount of ashes before you need to empty it, and removing and reattaching it is a breeze with the spring loaded handle.
While this grill does seem to have very durable wheels, it’s been decided among some that the three-legged design might be somewhat of a hindrance to the durability of the grill.
That being said this grill does stand up to everyday wear and tear, it also has a rust-resistant aluminum damper that is especially handy when it comes to wetter weather. The two glass-reinforced nylon handles add a bit more durability when it comes to mobility.
Weber Warranty Details
The warranty for the Weber Original Kettle 22” covers the bowl and lid for 10 years and the One-Touch cleaning system for 5 years, neither are covered for rusting through or burning through.
The plastic components are covered for 5 years and does not extend to cover fading or discoloration. All remaining parts to the grill are covered under a two year warranty. For more information please take a look at the Warranty.
Do You Get Value For Money?
Once you consider everything about a grill, before you decide if it’s right for you, one important question remains. Will you be getting enough value to make it worth spending your money on it? With the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill, I’d have to say you definitely get decent value for money.
While it isn’t the most durable grill out there, it does hold up pretty well. It’s also a very portable grill which makes it great for those that like to be on the move or entertain in different areas. Once you consider everything that makes up this grill I’d say you might agree that you’re getting a good deal.
Pros and Cons
Kettle 22 Pros
- Easy cleaning
- Classic design
- Quality Weber construction
- Large cooking space
Kettle 22 Cons
- Top heavy
- Lid hook placement
- Lid thermometer placement
Wrapping it Up
Overall I think this grill is a pretty great deal (plus this grill is a classic). You’re getting your money’s worth without emptying your wallet. You also get a great range of features such as the steel-plated hinged cooking grate, which makes adding charcoal or refilling it super easy.
It is also really easily portable, which makes this grill a great one for anyone that likes to take their grill camping, tailgating, or simply likes moving it around the yard when entertaining.
I think Weber has been making these for so long because they go such a great job!
Overall Rating: 4.6 / 5
Still Hungry For More?