Finding the right grill for you and your needs can be a bit tricky.
You have to consider all of its specifications and features and decide if it has what you need.. or if it’s missing a must-have feature in your opinion.
In this article I will be going over everything about the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill.
From its basic specifications and features to some of the things I like and don’t like about it.
Such as its generous 363 square inch cooking space. This means you’ll have enough room to cook roughly 13 burgers at a time, should you be lucky enough to have 13 hungry mouths to feed around your grill.
Having this much cooking space makes the 22 inch kettle a great grill for a family get together and backyard barbecues.
You’ll come to find that this grill is an easily portable grill for outings or a great one to move around your backyard while entertaining guests.
The founder of the Weber company is none other than George Stephen.
He first invented what seems to be a revolutionary kettle grill back in 1952. He was driven by a passion that isn’t surprising to any modern man, grilling steaks. Back then he worked for Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago, Illinois and was inspired by the shape of a buoy.
He knew, even back then, that the key to success in grilling was a rounded cooking bowl that actually had a lid. So he took a buoy and cut it in half, after adding three legs to the bottom of it and a handle to the top, he was done. The rest is now simply history.
Nowadays I think Weber is one of the most well known and trusted names in the BBQ/ grilling world, and for good reason. They make a genuinely good product at an affordable price.
Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill Review
Specifications of the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill
- Weight: 32.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 39.5 x 22.5 x 27 Inches
- Primary Cooking Space: 363 Inches Square
- Total Cooking Space: 363 Inches Square
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- Wheels: 2
- Grates: Steel Plated Grates
- Legs: 3
- Made In The USA
Key Features of the Weber Original Kettle 22”
- Portability: This grill has very durable wheels for moving across gravel, yards, concrete and were built to withstand the elements. They were designed with portability in mind. The grills lightweight makes it that much easier to move around. Now you can use it in the backyard for getting together with friends and family or take it with you to a football game or camping.
- Easy Cleanup: With the One-Touch enclosed ash catcher this grill is amazingly easy to clean and keep clean. The ash catcher has a large ash capacity and is simple to unattach and reattach. You can quickly clean it out before or after you’re done grilling without any hassle.
- Convenient Design: While it’s obvious that they made this grill for grilling and convenience when it comes to clean up, that’s not the only thing that is convenient about this grill. The design of it along with the heat shield lid add a touch more convenience. Not to mention the hinged cooking grate which allows you to easily refill the grill with charcoal without a struggle. There is not only a lid hook attached to keep your lid from ever touching the ground but also a tool hook for your spatula and tongs.
- Rust-resistant: The Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill happens to be equipped with a rust-resistant aluminum damper along with two glass reinforced nylon handles with tool hooks. That makes the grill a bit more durable and helps it to stand up to the elements a bit better than others.
Ease of Setup
Setting up this model of grill is pretty easy, Weber also have very easy and simple to follow set up instructions. For most, it seems to take less than half an hour. Or around 1 beer.
Please keep in mind when setting it up to pay attention to the details in the instructions, the instructions are thorough and will answer all of your problems. However, should you run into any problems there are plenty of videos online that can help you out.
Ease of Use
The Weber Original Kettle 22’ Charcoal Grill is incredibly easy to use. It’s also easy to assemble.
When you get ready to start grilling you’ll find that the hinged grate on the grill allows for the easy addition of more coals making replenishing them much simpler.
The tight seal that the lid has gives you even heat and flavor distribution during the cooking process.
Now if you truly want to get an idea of what this grill is and how simple and easy it is to use, try watching some videos of people using it and decide for yourself!
Weber Kettle 22 Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill is really easy.
This model has a One-Touch cleaning system, which is an enclosed ash catcher. It’s something that the original does not feature.
The ash catcher can hold a rather large amount of ashes before you need to empty it, and removing and reattaching it is a breeze with the spring loaded handle.
Durability of the Weber Kettle
While this grill does seem to have very durable wheels, it’s been decided among some that the three legged design might be somewhat of a hindrance to the durability of the grill.
That being said this grill does stand up to everyday wear and tear, it also has a rust resistant aluminum damper that is especially handy when it comes to wetter weather.
The two glass reinforced nylon handles add a bit more durability when it comes to mobility.
Weber Warranty Details
Do You Get Value For Money?
Once you consider everything about a grill, before you decide if it’s right for you, one important question remains.
Will you be getting enough value to make it worth spending your money on it? With the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill, I’d have to say you definitely get decent value for money.
While it isn’t the most durable grill out there, it does hold up pretty well. It’s also a very portable grill which makes it great for those that like to be on the move or entertain in different areas.
Once you consider everything that makes up this grill I’d say you might agree that you’re getting a good deal.
Pros and Cons of the Weber Kettle
Kettle 22 Pros
- Easy cleaning
- Classic design
- Quality Weber construction
- Large cooking space
Kettle 22 Cons
- Top heavy
- Lid hook placement
- Lid thermometer placement
My Rating and Final thoughts on the Weber Original Kettle 22” Charcoal Grill
Overall this grill is a pretty great deal.
You’re getting your money’s worth without emptying your wallet. You also get a great range of features such as the steel plated hinged cooking grate, which makes adding charcoal or refilling it super easy.
It is also really easily portable, which makes this grill a great one for anyone that likes to take their grill camping, tailgating, or simply likes moving it around the yard when entertaining.
While there are some downsides such as the lid thermometer placement and the placement of the lid hook, I feel like they are outweighed by the assortment of features that come along with them.
This is one grill that is not only easy to clean, transport, and refill, but it’s also big enough to cook for everyone in the family.
All in all it’s a pretty good grill that will give you good results and last a long time.
4.4 / 5 Stars