The Masterbuilt 20050211 is a smoker that I have talked about for years. We all know someone who has one, and more often or not they absolutely love it (because they won’t stop telling everyone).
It has enough space to cook for a crowd but is somehow still small enough to take away on your yearly family get away to the woods (if you have a truck that is).
In my experience is a winner from the second it arrives. It is simple to set up, easy to use and delivers a consistently high standard of smoked meat.
Why else do I love it? Find out below in my Masterbuilt 20050211 review.
Masterbuilt 20050211 Gas Smoker Review
This Unit Has More Room Than You Can Shake A Brisket At
Masterbuilt 20050211 Specifications
- Dimensions: 18″x18″x3″
- Cooking Space: 1,300 square inches
- Cooking Racks: 4
- BTU Rating: 15,400
- Ignition: Push Spark
Key Features of the Masterbuilt 20050211
- Large Cooking Space: The first thing to note about this unit is the huge 1,307 inches of cooking space. You have more than enough room for you to cook for your family, extended family and even your friends.
- Four Removable Racks: The four racks inside the smoker are fully removable. You also have the option to move the racks about to create more or less space depending on what you are cooking. This is thanks to the additional holes that run up vertically between the rack holes. You could even fit more additional tray in if you are smoking smaller things like sausages, fish or your own bacon.
- 15,000 BTU Burner: The 15,400 BTU burner gives you more than enough burning power to quickly heat up this big box, and better still maintain the heat. Unfortunately the temperature gauge on the outside of the unit is not the best, however, if you place an oven thermometer on the inside you will see that this unit maintains its temperature really well (except when you open the door to check temperature etc).
- Screw In Handles: The side carry handles are easily removed and replace again. They have little screws that are actually really sturdy. This is great for those of you out there who are not planning to move the unit around.
Ease of Use
Straight out of the box the unit is simple to navigate and operate. The touch ignition button and twist temperature knob are self explanatory and easy to use.
The fully removable and customisable racks make cooking a whole range of different meats, cuts and amounts possible no matter how big that pork butt is!
Cleaning and Maintenance
Keeping the Masterbuilt 20050211 clean means you have less maintenance to do.
The unit comes with good instructions on how to clean it, and its really not all that difficult. We have listed some of our top tips below;
All you need to do to clean out the wood chip holder is give it a brush after each use.
The cooking racks can be put in the dishwasher, just don’t use any caustic chemicals and ensure they are dry before you put them back.
The outside and inside areas only need a quick and simple wipe with a damp cloth.
Make sure you check the seals on the doors after each use.
This unit is cover under warranty and is guaranteed to be free from any material or workmanship defects for a period of 90 days after the original retail purchase.
Note: Any paint finishing and rust are not covered under this warranty.
Value For Money
The 20050211 has the best value for money I have come across in a long time. Its not often that you find something under the $200 mark that you get such high quality craftsmanship and usability.
I would recommend this smoker for everyone. However, its not jsut a smoker it would make a perfect over, warmer or even slow cooker.
Essentially you are paying very little for a unit that can cook almost anything, several different ways. Does it give you value for money? I say hell yes it does!
Pros and Cons of the Masterbuilt 20050211
- Lots of space
- Produces a very clean and dense smoke flavour
- Simple, sturdy design
- Quickly rises to temperature
- Large removable water pan
- The thermometer is not the best
- Push button can get stuck
Masterbuilt is a brand that is very well known. It’s a brand that you expect quality from. The 20050211 is no exception to this expectation.
For a smoker that comes in at under $200 I would say you would be silly to not get this beauty. There are a couple of issues like the thermometer and the wood chip bow, however they are both quick fixes which I don’t think should deter you from this smoker.
If you are a backyard smoker, or starting off your own smoked meat business, I would say the 20050211 is a good investment for you and your friends, family or even customers.
4.3 / 5 Stars