Imagine standing next to your grill with a cold beer flipping your burgers for your hungry family, and surprise! In comes you cousin and tribe of 5 hungry kids!
In most backyard situations this would prove to be a big problem, another 6 mouths to feed and nowhere to cook for them right?! Lucky with the Dyna-Glo DGA550SSP-D you have more than enough space to feed hungry mouths.
This grill was designed to cook up to 28 burgers at a time, making it perfect for those who have lots of friends, or love to bulk cook for leftovers for the week ahead. This is thanks to the 5 burners and the rotisserie burner. It is also able to be converted into a natural gas smoker, for those who have access to natural gas at home.
Other than the huge cooking space I think the DGA550SSP-D is a fantastic grill, let’s find out why.
Table of contents
The Dyna Glo 5 Burner DGA550SSP-D Grill Review
Need A Grill With Space? Look No Further!
Specifications of the The Dyna Glo 5 Burner DGA550SSP-D
- Weight: 128.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 56.7 x 24.6 x 46.3 inches
- Total Cooking Space: 764 sq. Inch
- Fuel Type: Gas
- Grates: Stainless Stain
- BTU Rating: 79,000 total
- Construction: Stainless steel
Looking for a smaller unit? The Weber Genesis e330 is a great smaller option. Find out more in my Weber Genesis e 330 review.
- Cooking Space: This grill has a primary cooking area of 550 square inches and an additional 214 square inches of secondary cooking space. To put that into perspective that is enough space to cook 27 burgers at once, perfect for those of you out there with a big extended family or neighbors like to drop on by when they smell something good cooking.
- Burners: In total, the DGA550SSP-D has 5 burners main straight tube burners which run 11,000 BTU each. The flush mounted side burner & rotisserie burner run 12,000 BTU each. This adds up to a total of 79,000 BTUs. This is a huge amount of cooking power.
The flush mounted side burner is perfect for making sauces, gravy, or side dishes. It is mounted flush with a cover, so when you are not using it, it can easily be made into additional bench space.
The unit reaches temperature exceptionally fast, it can reach 500 degrees in under 4 minutes.
- Grill Grates: The heavy-gauge, stainless steel rod cook grates have an iron core, this helps them retain heat and allowing you to sear all types of meat to help lock in the natural flavor and most importantly, the juices.
The tents also help distribute heat evenly throughout the whole grill and not just the section of the grill on top of the burner.
- Stainless Steel Heat Tents: Each burner has its own stainless heat tent. This helps deflect any drippings from landing on the burner and minimizes flare-ups when cooking more fatty cuts such as chicken wings or thighs, salmon, steak or bacon.
- Electronic Pulse Ignition System: The ignition system another one of the great features of this grill. The easy to use push start starts first time, every time. No more nightmares in the middle of winter trying to get your grill started.
- Fire Box: The cooking area is surrounded by a double-walled heavy gauge steel enameled firebox, this helps to keep an even cooking temperature for longer periods of time. Subsequently, the firebox also adds to the grills rigid construction.
- Lid: The lid is double layer stainless steel, this helps retain the most heat possible and creates an even, cooking environment for both short and long cooks.
The heavy gauge steel end caps help retain more heat, but more importantly help the grills stability.
- Cabinet: Hidden away behind the two stainless steel doors is an enclosed cabinet with plenty of storage space and a sliding tank pull out system. For easy access to your gas bottle when it comes time to change. The pullout system is a little bit flimsy so do keep this in mind when you are replacing your bottle (especially when fitting the full bottle).
- Wheels: Four heavy-duty wheels allow you to move the grill around the backyard or to and from storage, however, do keep in mind that these are quite small wheels and you will struggle to move this grill over surfaces that are not concrete. The wheels are locking so once in place you can make sure it won’t roll away anywhere or be bumped.
Ease of Use
The initial setup of the Dyna Glo DGA550SSP-D is very straightforward. You do need to assemble the unit upon delivery, however with the help from the assembly instructions set up is a breeze. The instructions are detailed and easy to follow.
Once the grill is set up it is extremely user-friendly. Everything from the electric pulse ignition to the rotisserie burner is easy to use and self-explanatory, even to the most novice backyard griller.
If you are searing a steak or slow smoking brisket for the whole extended family the Dyna Glo DGA550SSP-D will allow you to entertain as well as cook for the crowd with no issues.
When it comes time to change the gas bottle over, you can easily slide out the LP tank pull out shelf to change the bottle without needing to slide it around under the grill. However, do be careful when replacing the full bottle, the shelf is not super sturdy with all that weight.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Thanks to the stainless steel finish it is really easy to keep the entire grill clean.
The slide-out grease tray allows you to keep in inside of the grill clean without too much effort. After cooking its as simple as removing the tray, discarding the leftover grease and wiping clean.
Once the grill has cooled simply use a grill brush to clean the grates and a little bit of elbow grease and soapy water on the stainless. Because of the stainless steel finish be careful not to use steel wool or any other tough cleaning pads, they will scratch the finish and damage your grill.
The burner is covered by a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty and the parts have a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Do You Get Value For Money?
This grill is not one of the cheapest on the market, however, it is designed for those of you out there who like to cook big amounts of food with ease.
Overall it is a very sturdy unit and with proper maintenance and cleaning will e a grill that will be in your family for many years to come.
If you are in a position where you need a lot of grill space and have a little extra cash to buy a grill that will last the Dyna Glo DGA550SSP-D is a great grill.
Pros and Cons of the Dyna Glo 5 Burner
What I Liked
- Lots of cooking space
- Additional flush side burner
- Rotisserie burner
- Tough stainless steel construction
- Accurate thermometer
- Lots of internal storage
What I Did’nt Like
- Not natural gas convertible
- The LP tray can be a little bit flimsy feeling when replacing the gas bottle
My Final Thoughts
Overall the Dyna Glo DGA550SSP-D is a fantastic grill for those of you who are entertaining a lot of people.
The rotisserie (with help from the additional rotisserie kit) allows you to cook a huge selection of meats, perfect for big gatherings and family events. The side burner is great for cooking gravy, sauce and side dishes which is perfect for entertaining – no more running away to the kitchen to make the finishing touches.
This unit has lots and lots of cooking space, this is not necessary for everyone, however, if you have the budget is really great to have the option of cooking for a crowd.
I would recommend this unit to anyone who loves entertaining, has a dedicated BBQ area at home and enjoys exploring the different cooking styles out there.
Overall Rating: 4.7 / 5
Still Hungry For More?