Want to know the what the top rated electric smoker is? (It’s a bloody gem).
It has been my pick for a while and now I have seen The Smokin-It Model #1 popping up everywhere!
A couple of months ago, I got my hands on this unit during a BBQ at a friend’s place. Soooooo impressed!
The Smokin-It electric smoker provided flawless smoking. I found it has top of the line features but is really affordable! My favorite features is it has the capacity to feed over 15 people.
So if you’re ready to take your BBQ to the next level but don’t really want to be tending to it, read and find out if the Smokin-it Model #1 is the pick for you!
Smokin-It Model #1 Smoker Review
The Smokin-It Model 1 smoker is a very solid little smoke cube that is built like a safe. It is extremely durable and solid.
Although it is a small looking unit it is deceptively large inside the smoking chamber. You get enough room to cook several racks of ribs, pounds of chicken wings or even a turkey.
Specifications Of The Smokin-It Smoker
- Inside Dimensions: 12.5 W x 13.5 D x 16 H Inches (31.8 x 34.3 x 40.6 cm)
- Outside Dimensions: 15 W x 19 D x 20.4 H inches (38.1 x 48.3 x 51.8 cm)
- Rack Size: 12 x 13 Inches (30.5 x 33 cm) – Racks are 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) apart
- Cooking Area: 468 square inches
- Weight: 59 lbs (26.8 kg)
Key Features of The Smokin-It Smoker
- A Rheostat For Temperature Control: I didn’t need to spend hours watching over the fire or constantly checking the internal temperature of our meat. Part of the set and forget feature is the built-in temperature control. This helps regulate the inside temperature with ease.
- Powerful 400-Watt Heating Element: The Smokin It Smoker has a strong 400-watt heating element to provide high smoking temperatures. In addition to the powerful heating element, there is a LED light and fibreglass for better insulation to make the cooking process more efficient.
- Large Cooking Capacity: This heavy-duty smoker has been designed to cater to large smoking requirements. You can load up to 22 pounds of meat in a single batch. So, if you love throwing BBQ parties like me, the Smokin-It Model #1 Smoker could be a great choice for you.
- Durable and Strong Build: The Smokin-It is constructed from 18-gauge non-magnetic stainless steel. We found that is material is for extreme durability. Most top quality smokers in the market use this material.
- Easily Accessible Smoke Box: The smoke box is huge. It always has enough space for the wood required for the amount of food that can fit in the chamber. The entire thing is nicely proportionate. Below the smoke box and heating element is the drip pan which catches the grease and fat. We found that it was simple to add wood chunks or chips to the Smoke-It. It has a really convenient to spot located on the outside of the unit, this means we didn’t lose any smoke or heat when we needed to add more.
Charlies Hot Tip
Want to know the rest of the best electric smokers? We have tested and rated each one for you!
- Handles and Wheels: We found that this smoker isn’t as heavy as other electric smokers. It was easy to move about as it had strong handles on each side. Not only that the Smoke-It also has wheels making it easy to move about your backyard. The castors are durable and thick and we were always able to move around smoothly.
- Can Use it Anywhere: If you live in an apartment complex (or anywhere) where you can’t have a charcoal smoker then an electric smoker is an ideal alternative.
- Commercial Grade: All Smokin-It Electric Smokers are operational as commercial smokers. They have an NSF certification. The NSF certification means you are able to use it in restaurants and for other commercial needs.This makes it one of, if not the best, commercial electric smokers. So If your planning on using it for domestic purposes it’s without a doubt the best electric smoker for the money.
Design and Build Quality
The Smoking-It Model #1 has a very simple, yet effective design. Essentially it is a small metal box on wheels with a highly powerful heating element and racks. However, compared with other smokers on the market the build quality is exceptional.
It’s completely made from 18 gauge 201 stainless steel which means you get a solid and sturdy smoker that can easily withstand the temperatures and lengthy cooks.
The stainless steel and the high quality of the build have allowed it to get NSF certification which means it can be used in restaurants and for other commercial purposes. You won’t get a quality electric smoker as cheap as the Smokin-It!
We also found that door is made of the same high-quality stainless steel as the rest of the smoker. Most smokers I have used usually have a door made of lower quality steel than the rest of the smoker. Smokin-It also ensured that handle and door create a compression fit, this also help keeps the temperatures very steady.
The heating element is 400-watt with LED indicators that operate perfectly. We found it has a temperature range of 100°F (37.8°C) to 250°F (121°C).
Ease of Use
Like most electric smokers the Smokin-It Model #1 is extremely easy to use. Because they are no flames or fuel to worry about, there isn’t any need to continuously check and monitor the smoker. This means that you get a true ‘set it and forget it’ style smoker.
All you have to do is put your food in, load up your favorite flavour wood chips, set the temperature and you’re all set.
We found putting together the unit was simple. It was pretty much ready to go out of the box, all we needed to do was attach the wheels. Even the electrical system will work straight out of the box.
Cleaning and Maintenance
You want to take into account the cleaning and maintenance required for a smoker before purchasing it.
We found this model to be very low maintenance. Its cleaning process is also pretty simple and straightforward. You just need to cover some parts in foil. There is a large drip pan which is easily removable. Having this pan ensured there wasn’t a much cleaning to do.
As for the exterior, it’s all stainless steel, this makes it very easy to clean. Simply grab a wet cloth and a little bit of soap and wipe it down.
A Word From Smokin It
Smokin It Warranty
Do You Get Value For Money?
There are some cheaper electric smokers on the market. However, we found the features and functionality offered by them are no way near the same quality.
This has the ability to help you create food found at some of your favorite restaurants and smokehouses.
Pros and Cons of the Smokin-It Model #1 Electric Smoker
Smokin It Pros
- Great length power cord. The 12-feet long power cord gives you enough room to move but not too much, that you lose power.
- Easily accessible smoker box
- Set & forget function.
- Huge internal capacity. The internal cooking space of 22 pounds, make it a perfect smoker for a get-together or just with the family.
- Commercial grade.
Smokin It Cons
- One of the more expensive smoker on the market.
- You won’t get that classic BBQ smoke ring. This is due to the fact it doesn’t have the combustion of fuel in the chamber. The food still tastes absolutely perfect.
Charlies Rating and Final Thoughts About the Smokin-It Model #1 Electric Smoker
You may have already read it but we really believe this is one of the best electric smokers currently available in the market.
I think everything right from its functionality, build quality, maintenance needs right down to portability and ability to hold heat. Everything about this electric smoker is a top bloody notch.
I think if you want to cook like a professional but don’t want to pay the hefty prices of industrial smokers, I believe this is the unit you need.
The extra cost will be well worth it when you’re still smoking brilliant food in a few years time.
4.7 / 5 Stars
Frequently Asked Quesions
Question: Are you able to cold smoke with Smokin-It Model #1 Electric Smoker?
Answer: You can, you need to buy a the cold smoking plate
Question: Are you able to use smoker be used on a generator?
Answer: Yes it can. Make sure your generator has enough power to handle the smoker.
Question: What is the maximum temperature that the Smokin It Smoker can reach?
Answer: 250 degree
Question: How long do you smoke a brisket in an electric smoker?
Answer: I have created a comprehensive guide on this, so that you too can get a succulent brisket each and every time, check out the guide
Question: How are you able to adjust the temperature?
Answer: There is a rheostat on the very top of the smoker that is adjustable up to 250 degrees.