Before we get this review underway I want to clear one thing up. The Lavatools Javelin is the rebirth of (renamed) Original Lavatools Thermowand.
The Javelin is the epitome of minimalism and simplicity. It is very basically designed to do one job and to be honest, it does that job very well. So well I would rank it up there as one of the best digital meat thermometers for smoking meat.
It is a small thermometer that processes and produces a temperature reading within 2 seconds and is conveniently sized, I found this great for taking on camping trips and out with my smaller portable smoker.
The overall the Lavatools Thermowand design is clean, simple and hassle-free.
Although the unit is small and compact it has a couple of great features like body being 100% BPA-free polycarbonate, a magnetic backing and an auto shut off. The auto shut of kicks in when the thermometer is closed or the after 1 hour when not in use.
Want to find out about all the great features of the Lavatools Javelin Thermowand? Lets get into them!
Lavatools Javelin Specifications
- Battery Life: 4000 hours
- Food probe Length: 2.75″
- Temperature Range: -40 – 482ºF
- Accuracy: ± 0.9°F
- Water Resistant: Splash proof
- Reading: Celsius or fahrenheit
- Warranty: Lifetime manufacturers warranty
Key Features of the Lavatools Javelin Thermowand
- Auto Shut Off: The auto shut off setting kicks in after 60 minutes of non use or when the thermometer has been closed. This is a welcome feature and the 60 minute period is no issue when the thermometer has more than a 4000 hour battery life.
- Magnetic Backing: Having a magnetic lining on the backside of the thermometer is perfect. I like to have it stuck to the refrigerator door in my man cave so I always have easy access if I need to take a quick reading of my favourite smoker, the smoke vault 24.
- Temperature Range: The temperature range of -40ºF – 482ºF seconds is more than enough range for this little guy. Using it as a back up or camping thermometer you don’t need any more than that.
- Lifetime Warranty: Even though the Lavatools Javelin is not loaded up with lots of complicated features, it is nice to have the peace of mind that it is covered for life against manufacturing faults.
- Splash Resistant: The entire unit is splash resistant, which is great for such a small unit.
- Antimicrobial: The thermometer is coated with an antimicrobial additive to inhibit 99.9% of pathogen growth.
Pros and Cons of the Lavatools Javelin Thermowand
- Accurate and fast readings
- Magnetic backing
- Lifetime warranty
- Auto shut off feature
- Celsius and Fahrenheit feature
- 4000 hour battery life
- The probe is a little small. This doesn’t get right into the centre of bigger cuts of meat
- The smaller probe also means that your hand does get closer to the grill so there is a higher chance of burns
My Rating and Final Thoughts of the Lavatools Javelin Thermowand
The bottom line is that the Lavatool Javelin thermometer is a really good basic thermometer. For the price you pay it does the job it was designed to do exceedingly well.
The only downsides that I could find is that the whole unit and the probe itself are on the small side. However this does make it a good little thermometer to have in your camper, truck or camping gear bag.
I would recommend this thermometer for everyone, it is a great little cheap & reliable back up or travelling thermometer.
4.4 / 5 Stars